5 replies to this topic

#1 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 12:13 PM

Making custom textures is becoming quite addicting.  K11's video tutorials are simply golden.  I had never used an image editing program until 2 weeks ago haha!  You can understand why I need these details spelled out.

Baby steps...

After many failures and a few successes, I'm looking for the best way to setup and save/import my textures for consistency.  Some of my textures work but some make unity crash.  I'm not sure where I'm going wrong.  

For the current version of CourseForge, what matters and what needs to match?

When starting a new image  

*Image size 

*X, Y resolution

When importing an image to customize (screenshot or existing texture), what do I need to change, if anything? 

When exporting: 

*Compression Level

When importing into Unity and setting up in the inspector:

*Max Size

All the other settings for importing textures and normal maps I've been able to get from the tutorials and other posts. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

• MSNYCsoarrom likes this

#2 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 23 June 2016 - 03:40 PM

I use all sorts of sizes and resolutions, Unity supports

most everything. I use jpegs, tga's, PNG's, mostly.

I think PG now uses 2048 for meshes and terrains,

but I think 1024 looks just as good imo. The outer terrain

I usually go lower to even a 512. It's all pretty much

experimental and what suits you is the way to go.

Once you have CF, the texture library makes things a bit easier,

as your textures, normals, and shaders, can be adjusted

on the fly, and you can see the results on your course right away.

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#3 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 04:47 PM

Thanks NoPutt.  

I didn't think of setting the outer textures at a lower resolution  (for performance reasons I assume?)

Just to clarify...  If I import a 2048 texture and later decide to use it at a lower resolution (let's say 1024), when I change it in the inspector will Unity automatically adjust the resolution with no issues?  

Or would it be better to recreate that texture at a lower resolution (1024) to match what will be set in the inspector (1024)   

Or does it matter?

Sorry to dwell on the minutiae.  

#4 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 05:14 PM

Very minute minutiae. I'm not quite clear about that myself. So I went to the Internet Library for the Befuddled and asked for Mr. Google:

Here's the long answer, the relevant paragraph about Per-Platform Overrides is almost at the bottom of the page:

http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/class-TextureImporter.html

Short answers: It would seem Unity always defaults to 2048 texture size, you have to set smaller numbers manually. The texture size is a Maximum size, so that entire thing is intended to shield against "too much", not against "too little". And yes, you can downsize a big 2048 texture into a friendly 1024 one by setting its Max Size accordingly - and without having to alter the original you imported.

Texture resolutions are not a performance-killer either way, imo. Rather than obsessing about 512 or 2048, what matters is how they are doing the job they are supposed to do in the scene. If the tile itself has lots of details and variations, go big. If it's just a few colours and swirls, you might as well keep it small. My CF bunker lip textures, for example, are 512, because there is no point to make them larger.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#5 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 05:26 PM

My befuddlement is slowly decreasing.

Many thanks for the explanation

#6 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 23 June 2016 - 07:18 PM

I was speaking of a second outer terrain (usually mountains)

at a lower resolution. The CF videos will show better than

I can explain.

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users