74 replies to this topic

#21 GolfProgrammer3D

GolfProgrammer3D

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:03 PM

Dear Shimonko,

Thank you so much for these tools. I am preparing a proposed renovation on the coastline where we did not have any existing topography. The site was very flat, so we prepared our grading plans from a zero elevation for the existing terrain. This compromised editing the bunkers. I also realized on very flat sites, when there is little elevation in the gradient of the raw file, this situation may also arise. What a great tool for raising the terrain!

All the best,

Bobby RootAttached File  PG_Shim.bmp   419.4KB   47 downloads

Director of Production

Nicklaus Design

• Mike Jones, shimonko and NoPutt like this

#22 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 02 December 2015 - 07:00 PM

Haven't seen Shimonko around in awhile, 

sure hope he sees your post as I know

he will be thrilled. 

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#23 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 11:26 PM

Thanks Bobby for your kind words. Unfortunately I've been flat out with some contract work and if I frequent the forums, I find myself staying up all night excitedly doing some new tool or investigating something.  :blink:

That reminds me, I also have two more tools I did that I haven't put in this thread yet, inspired by a functionality Mike needed in Unity at some stage:

1. Splat map resolution changer: A tool that allows you to change the resolution of the splat maps without losing all the terrain painting you've already done. Splat maps are simply maps that Unity uses to internally know where textures have been painted on the terrain and at what opacity. The 'control texture' resolution you see in Unity's Terrain settings represents the resolution of these splat maps - the higher it is, the smaller the 'splat' of paint can be that gets laid on the terrain when you click the mouse.

2. Heightmap resolution changer: A tool that allows you to change the resolution of your height map without losing all the terrain sculpting you've already done. I believe it's nicer to start terrain sculpting with a very low heightmap resolution (eg 257) to get the lay of the land and rough mountains quickly sorted out, then change to a high resolution to do finer sculpting. I used to export the raw map to Photoshop, resize it and reimport, but this tool just allows you to type the new resolution in and it resizes it. 

Both tools use bicublic interpolation instead of linear, a fancy way of saying smooth painting and sculpting is maintained. 

Until I get a chance to document them properly on here and upload, just PM me if you have a sudden need for them.

• highfade, Jimbobh, TheBigYin519 and 2 others like this

#24 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 10 December 2015 - 12:36 AM

I like the sound of the heightmap tool Shimonko, I've
often wished to have that.

Hope you come back more often, I miss the banter

between you and K.

Look forward to the tools.

Have fun

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#25 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 09:24 AM

Nice to hear from you again, shimonko. It's been too long.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#26 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 07:15 AM

Yeah, I miss trying to calm K11 down when he'd like to execute everyone involved in the creation of Unity. lol. hope you're all well. 

#27 Unique

Unique

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland, Australia

Posted 14 December 2015 - 08:32 AM

Merry Christmas Simon!!

#28 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 14 December 2015 - 11:44 AM

Yeah, I miss trying to calm K11 down when he'd like to execute everyone involved in the creation of Unity. lol. hope you're all well. 

Not to worry, He's got a cache of Kittens.

Happy Holidays

#29 Larrykuh

Larrykuh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 01:38 PM

I tried using MoveTheRoof on a 1600x1600 terrain. When I changed the terrain height, it resized the terrain to 1000x1000. Looking at the script, the following line is the problem:

Line 100: Terrain.activeTerrain.terrainData.size = new Vector3(1000, float.Parse(newMax), 1000);

In my case, I changed the hard coded sizes from 1000 to 1600 to get it to work properly. I didn't attempt to save the original dimensions as variables for use in creating the new Vector.

#30 Fairways_and_Greens

Fairways_and_Greens

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 05:39 PM

TerrainStarter (This tool is now outdated and not recommended for use)

Description:  Two click creation of a terrain of reasonable specs for building a Perfect Golf course.

Usage:  1st click: Click on ShimonTools menu.    2nd click: Choose "Create course ready terrain".

Terrain specs:   A terrain of the following specs is set up:

Width:                  2000m
Length:                 
2000m
Maximum terrain height:   50m (40m above ground level)
Ground level:             10m (to allow water basins and bunkers to be dug out)

Heightmap resolution:   2049
Detail resolution:      1024
Detail res / patch:      128
Base texture res:       1024
Control texture res:    2048

Any of these specs can be changed after the terrain is created if desired (recommend doing so before sculpting takes place however).

If you can't see the terrain created, click on "Terrain" in your hierarchy window and press "F" to center it in the main window.

I'm, just getting started Shimon. What do you recommend for getting Terrain?

#31 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 07:39 PM

If you're learning CF for the first time just use the terrain in the tutorial package and follow the tutorials, it has everything you need already setup. 

http://www.perfectpa...ideo-tutorials/

• shimonko likes this

#32 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 02:09 AM

[Moved]
Shimonko, I don't want to hi-jack this thread, but can you fix line 100 of your "Raise The Roof" script. It currently is hard coded for a 1000x1000 terrain. It would be great if you could get the terrain width and length from the terrain itself.

Thanks,
Larry

Hi Larry - I haven't got Unity installed at the moment, but will do so over the next few days and check it out.

#33 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 02:25 AM

Yep, use the tutorial package. TerrainStarter was written before that existed. Thanks Mike for adding a note to the description.

#34 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 05:46 AM

[Moved]
Shimonko, I don't want to hi-jack this thread, but can you fix line 100 of your "Raise The Roof" script. It currently is hard coded for a 1000x1000 terrain. It would be great if you could get the terrain width and length from the terrain itself.

Thanks,
Larry

That's fixed - you can redownload the ShimonTools package from the first page. Thanks for pointing it out - it must have been some debugging code I'd forgotten to revert.

• Mike Jones likes this

#35 worrybirdie

worrybirdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts
  • LocationPismo Beach, California

Posted 13 September 2017 - 06:43 PM

Thanks Shimonko. Have to try out the ground mover. I have a lake that bottomed out at half a meter. :unsure:

#36 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:44 PM

Just make sure you back up your project or try on a dummy map first, as although the version of Unity currently being used isn't the latest, it's still much later than what these tools were originally written for.

I'll have a look a bit later to see if all the tools still work.

#37 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 12:54 AM

Confirmed that MoveTheRoof, MoveTheGround & TerrainStarter still work fine.

TerrainStarter I'll eventually remove as the Tutorial Package supersedes it. 

ShimonShot - the screenshot utility, I'll check later, but that's more for super high resolution screenshots beyond what your monitor can display and likely niche (printing or postprocessing).

TF2UnityAutomater - I'm not currently up to date with the status of TerrainForge but will find out. Possibly tool not handy anymore.

ResizeSplatMaps, ResizeHeightMaps , ResizePlantingMaps - not yet checked.

#38 worrybirdie

worrybirdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts
  • LocationPismo Beach, California

Posted 14 September 2017 - 01:32 AM

Thanks...I backup my files before I sneeze. As for Terrain Forge, as far as I know its vaporware...for now?

#39 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 02:36 AM

Thanks...I backup my files before I sneeze. As for Terrain Forge, as far as I know its vaporware...for now?

I didn't have a chance to follow PG for a long time so don't know of TF's fate.

I would suggest however that LiDAR availability has become so good that it's hard to contemplate doing a real course without it now, making the Bing Map and Links converter flows less used.

Although TerrainForge did handle LiDAR to a certain degree, it isn't as easy to automate - many sources still even email out the files.

I wouldn't say vaporware but simply not worth the work to make it relevant. Also there can be issues using such data services commercially - many products doing similar things are doing so against the T&C's of data suppliers.

TheBigYin was helping a lot on the testing side of it - he may know. Big hi to TBY.

#40 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 03:13 AM

Reserved...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users