4 replies to this topic

#1 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 06:29 PM

What's a ballpark range of tris added with a complete course of CF meshes?  Let's say a 7,200 yard course with 4 sets of tees.   

I realize this isn't an exact number, just looking for a range of what to expect and how much to account for.  

Embarrassing bonus question:  

How do I get my terrain textures from inside Unity to automatically open in GIMP?  My grasses open fine but my terrain textures keep going to MS Paint.  For some reason I am too dumb to figure this out...  Is there a setting to make GIMP my universal editing program or is there something I need to change in Unity?  

• MSNYCsoarrom likes this

#2 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 19 July 2016 - 09:35 PM

A total of 3 million tris is the goal to shoot for at the moment.

The meshes themselves will add little depending on texture

size and resolution that accompany them along with the

normals used. Plantings, Furniture, Buildings, and Animated Prefabs,

are the things that quickly add to the count but this can be controlled

by designing with low polys and lowering the LOD of trees. 

Personally I don't worry about it till everything I want in is finished

and then may do some thinning. With the optimization of Unity

the count will hopefully go up.

As for having Unity select Gimp as your main graphics program,

I only use Photoshop and Unity has always recognized it, so I 

am no help there, but it seems like it would be done by right clicking

the texture outside of Unity and telling your PC to OPEN WITH, but

I am not sure.

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#3 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 09:46 PM

Thanks for the reply NoPutt.  If the meshes only add a relatively small amount then nothing to worry about.  

As for the GIMP issue, I guess I need to go back and reopen them outside of Unity to re-establish the connection and circumvent MS Paint.  

#4 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 10:48 PM

It's your Windows File Extension settings that determine the default programs to open a file.  I think the procedure to change that tho is different in every version of Windows (go figure).  Just Google something like: "How to change file extension default on windows" 10, 8 or 7.

Win 10, i7-7700 @4.2 ghz, 16GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 1080
Swing Type: Tour Pro Wireless XBox 360 Controller.

#5 Armand

Armand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 20 July 2016 - 03:58 AM

Right click on the file and choose "OPEN WITH...".  If that doesn't appear, then hold down SHIFT while you right click the file.  Select "Open With..." and then choose the program from the list.  Sometimes there is a check box at the bottom of the window that says "Always use the program to open this type of file", but I've noticed in Win10 that it doesn't appear sometimes.  After you make that setting, it should always open with GIMP instead of anything else. 

On some occasions, you'll have to repeat this procedure to get it to stick, especially if the "Always use this program..." check box isn't there.  Also, I find Win10 sometimes will change back to the default program with updates now and again - just repeat again.  It's a bit of a nuisance, but honestly, about the only one I can think of with Win 10.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users