Photo

Poll - Listening to JNPG

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Poll: Listening to JNPG (48 member(s) have cast votes)

What type of playback system do you use when playing JNPG?

1. Headphones (13 votes [26.00%])

Percentage of vote: 26.00%

2. Laptop speakers (2 votes [4.00%])

Percentage of vote: 4.00%

3. Small PC satellite speakers (24 votes [48.00%])

Percentage of vote: 48.00%

4. Home audio system (11 votes [22.00%])

Percentage of vote: 22.00%

What format do you listen to when playing JNPG?

1. Mono (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Stereo (38 votes [79.17%])

Percentage of vote: 79.17%

3. Surround (10 votes [20.83%])

Percentage of vote: 20.83%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 JoeF

JoeF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts
  • LocationBrighton, Ontario, Canada

Posted 12 August 2016 - 01:22 PM

Curious as to what systems and formats people are using for audio playback when playing JNPG.  

Intel i5-4570 cpu @ 3.2 GHz, ASUS Z74-K mb, ASUS GeForce GTX 960 gpu, 16 GB ram, 2 x SSD drives, Windows 10 64 bit

Steam name: sound_flier

#2 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 02:41 PM

Logitech 5.1 sound system, but switch to headphones and mic when playing with, as my wife calls them, my imaginary friends in the computer.

• fungolfer, cajuncapgun, DivotMaker and 3 others like this
Win 10, i7-7700 @4.2 ghz, 16GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 1080
Swing Type: Tour Pro Wireless XBox 360 Controller.

#3 StoneComet

StoneComet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 12 August 2016 - 02:46 PM

I use a set of desktop speakers normally if I am just playing myself. If I am recording, or playing and voice chatting I use a stereo headset with boom mic. It's wired but a good set for the price. One of the other things I love about this game is the designers ability to add localized sounds on the course for ambient atmosphere. Eventually I want to get surround sound speakers and a nice receiver and use the Fiber-optic S/PDIF connection on my sound card. 

Sades SA-708

- We would be wise to remember that extremism is the real enemy and to keep ourselves aware so as not to become extreme ourselves; otherwise the enemy wins. -

#4 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 12 August 2016 - 05:25 PM

I play JNPG using my home Yanaha 5.1 Surround Sound Home Theater system and 55" HDTV... until yesterday.  When I powered up and was ready to play a test round at the newly updated Muirfield Village course, I heard a horrible crackle out of my left front speaker.  My son later fessed up that it had happened when him and a friend were playing Earth Defense Force (whatever the latest version is called anyway).  He said when the game first loaded up and the splash music played, the audio was so high, it blasted the speaker out... they heard it pop.

I figured out what set that up right away... I have to crank the audio up 28 db higher for JNPG than any other game I play on my gaming PC, XBox 360, or PS4, to get the same final audio level.  If I forget to turn it back down when I'm done, the next game or app could be fatal, as was the case here.  Today, I'm buying a new set of Polk Audio, 5 1/4" bookshelf speakers to serve as my front speakers.  I played the rest of the day with headphone audio and didn't like it in the least; I felt to confined.  I don't mind wearing headphones when all I'm hearing is chat through them, but I want to hear the game via room surround.

Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz 
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#5 DivotMaker

DivotMaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 09:26 PM

I play JNPG using my home Yanaha 5.1 Surround Sound Home Theater system and 55" HDTV... until yesterday.  When I powered up and was ready to play a test round at the newly updated Muirfield Village course, I heard a horrible crackle out of my left front speaker.  My son later fessed up that it had happened when him and a friend were playing Earth Defense Force (whatever the latest version is called anyway).  He said when the game first loaded up and the splash music played, the audio was so high, it blasted the speaker out... they heard it pop.

I figured out what set that up right away... I have to crank the audio up 28 db higher for JNPG than any other game I play on my gaming PC, XBox 360, or PS4, to get the same final audio level.  If I forget to turn it back down when I'm done, the next game or app could be fatal, as was the case here.  Today, I'm buying a new set of Polk Audio, 5 1/4" bookshelf speakers to serve as my front speakers.  I played the rest of the day with headphone audio and didn't like it in the least; I felt to confined.  I don't mind wearing headphones when all I'm hearing is chat through them, but I want to hear the game via room surround.

Ditto here. Have my trusty (knocking on wood) Logitech Z-5500 5.1 speakers that I have had for roughly 12 years and they are easily the best PC/gaming speakers I have ever had. Hope they never quit working.

http://support.logit...-speaker-system

PC

Xbox One X

Steam ID: DivotMaker

#6 JoeF

JoeF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts
  • LocationBrighton, Ontario, Canada

Posted 12 August 2016 - 11:09 PM

That's a real shame, JC.  Just goes to show the damage poor audio practices can cause.  The splash music file should either have been reduced in level itself or the default music level in the game should have been set to a proper (lower) listening level.  PP is guilty of this with their splash music file, too, though I don't remember if the default music level on installation is set to something lower than 100%.  (At a maximum it should be no more than 50%).  As a professional audio recording/mixing engineer I work in rooms that are calibrated to international standards of loudness (79 decibels for television and 85 decibels for film/music mixing) for a volume meter reading of -20db below the onset of digital distortion.  The ambient sounds in JNPG (when set at 100% in audio settings) are right where they should be, volume wise, in those rooms.  (Well, K11 does push it a bit - perhaps a bit of hearing loss from all the yodelling and alpine horns in the Alps).  From what you describe that splash music would have played at somewhere around 105 db.  That's rock concert volume.  Little wonder it blew a speaker.

Intel i5-4570 cpu @ 3.2 GHz, ASUS Z74-K mb, ASUS GeForce GTX 960 gpu, 16 GB ram, 2 x SSD drives, Windows 10 64 bit

Steam name: sound_flier

#7 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 13 August 2016 - 12:33 AM

Yeah Joe, I've got JNPG's audio set to the max for environmental effects, but even at that, they're barely audible where I normally keep my Yamaha's receiver's audio level.  I've forgotten to turn the audio down before after playing JNPG, and just the sound of the Window's 10 log-on chime will send a shock wave through you.  I wish I had to a macro to pot down the amplitude after playing JNPG.   

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#8 JBrown247

JBrown247

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 02:46 AM

I listen to it on mute. Especially the menu music. 

#9 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 13 August 2016 - 10:37 PM

I have a set of Mackie CR3s.

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#10 BionicWolf

BionicWolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 03:52 PM

small pc sattelites and stereo (or simulated 5.1 usin' each satellite as front /righ and rear/right. on each speaker.

#11 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 15 August 2016 - 02:20 PM

Bought my Polk Audio T15 speakers at Best Buy Saturday to replace my blown left front 4" Minimus 7 front speaker in my surround sound system.  It's an overall upgrade to my system and I'm very pleased.  Now if I can only remember to turn the volume down 28 db after playing JNPG, they might be safe  :)

• DivotMaker likes this

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users