#1 Brucey Mc

Brucey Mc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationTeesside, UK #UTB

Posted 14 October 2014 - 06:23 PM

Just wondering as those in the circle of trust seem to be concentrating on Perfect Golf rather than CourseForge these days, have the issues that I last heard about been resolved?  These included being able to export the course using the free version of Unity?

Cheers my dears

#2 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 07:02 PM

We currently have a stable version of CF that Nicklaus design are using to help design their courses and we are also using it to create more content and do visualizations for Broadcast and other Golf Architects. Currently it does require the pro version to output playable courses in CF but once we have PerfectGolf in Early Access on Steam we will be concentrating our resources on implementing a solution for that. 

There are some alternative routes if people wanted to get their courses out before we have that solution in place. It would most likely involve a forum to post works in progress and then the players themselves could vote on which courses they might want to see in the game. We could probably take over at that point and create a playable build. Just an idea for a short term solution.

#3 Brucey Mc

Brucey Mc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationTeesside, UK #UTB

Posted 14 October 2014 - 07:15 PM

Thanks for the quick response Mike

#4 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:47 PM

There are some alternative routes if people wanted to get their courses out before we have that solution in place. It would most likely involve a forum to post works in progress and then the players themselves could vote on which courses they might want to see in the game. We could probably take over at that point and create a playable build. Just an idea for a short term solution.

A slight complication with this is if the course designer had used bought assets. Really he shouldn't be sharing them 'unbuilt'.

• TheBigYin519 likes this

#5 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 12:59 AM

It's highly unlikely he would use something we hadn't already purchased  :D But we would probably have to remove any items we didn't own.

#6 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 03:51 PM

It's certainly a shame to hear this... I do understand, but it's still a shame.

#7 nstone73

nstone73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationDenver CO

Posted 15 October 2014 - 08:33 PM

Wouldn't that severely impact course design? Not being able to test your course as you design it?

I know from reading these threads that Kablammo11 had to redesign parts of Willow Heath once he was able to play it, lengthening some holes, changing landing areas on others. I understand that the initial creation of that course was part of testing Course Forge but wouldn't you want to be able to test individual holes as the course was designed? 

Again, I understand getting the actual game out to us is the top priority and I'd love to be able to mess around with CF even with this limitation but not sure if its practical to design a playable course with that workflow....even short term.

#8 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 10:34 PM

I agree it's not a great solution.

#9 Jimbo63

Jimbo63

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • LocationManchester, England

Posted 16 October 2014 - 11:01 AM

So if a designer had Unity Pro and CourseForge could they release courses or would the courses have to be approved for release to meet a certain level of quality/playability? 

#10 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 03:36 PM

If a Designer had Unity Pro and CF, they could compile a final playable course yes. They may have to host it or seek that solution to make it available to others, but they could play test it if they have Unity Pro.

This is the sticky wicket... I have ceased taking my course any further using the Alpha/Beta CF and Indie Unity, because I can't easily play-test and correct things to see how they fair. Granted, we could find 'a' user with Pro and seek to burden them, but it can become problematic with other issues. Hopefully the guys will find a suitable way around this current problem.

#11 Ron Piskorik

Ron Piskorik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • LocationFlorham Park, NJ

Posted 16 October 2014 - 05:15 PM

If a Designer had Unity Pro and CF, they could compile a final playable course yes. They may have to host it or seek that solution to make it available to others, but they could play test it if they have Unity Pro.

This is the sticky wicket... I have ceased taking my course any further using the Alpha/Beta CF and Indie Unity, because I can't easily play-test and correct things to see how they fair. Granted, we could find 'a' user with Pro and seek to burden them, but it can become problematic with other issues. Hopefully the guys will find a suitable way around this current problem.

Wow!!  

This is very disturbing.  Especially after reading the post that Unity may be  sold.  

Alienware Area 51 R2
Windows 10 Home (64bit)
Intel® Core™ i7-5820K Six Core (15MB Cache, Overclocked up to 3.9 GHz w/ Turbo Boost)
Intel® X99 Chipset (Intel® DHX99 PCH)
32GB (4X8GB) DDR4 2133MHz SDRAM Memory
256GB SSD 6Gb/s Main
Centauri CPU heatsink
4TB 5400RPM SATA 6Gb/s
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti with 6GB GDDR5
Killer™ E2200 Integrated 10/100/1000 Gigabit Network Card
Integrated Creative Labs Sound Blaster Recon3Di
Alienware™ 850 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply
Dual Layer DVD Burner (DVD±RW, CD-RW)
Logitech G810 Artemis Spectrum gaming keyboard
Dell 27 Gaming Monitor - S2716DG at 2560 X 1440
Logitech Gaming Mouse G502

3 Click PRO Level

#12 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 06:02 PM

Hm... even with Unity Pro, there are certain things that need tweaking for creating a PG viable build. Don't assume that this will be easy. I will stick with cheapo free Unity (indie is such an euphemism!) and rely on others to do my builds for me until this problem is solved. 

It's a not all pleasant state of affairs, true. But this cumbersome combo with its interrupted workflow still beats certain other course design tools from other companies by a mile. For encouragment, pick one of the following:

• Per aspera ad astra
  • No pain no gain
  • When the going gets tough, the tough get going
  • It can only get better

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#13 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 04:23 AM

Hm... even with Unity Pro, there are certain things that need tweaking for creating a PG viable build. 

Do you know what in particular needs tweaking?

#14 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 04:36 AM

So if a designer had Unity Pro and CourseForge could they release courses or would the courses have to be approved for release to meet a certain level of quality/playability? 

I'd highly doubt courses would need approval - I was hoping to see your question responded to officially however.

Because the way I see it, as soon as PP would be required to approve real courses there becomes a (supposedly) cashed up U.S target for copyright infringement.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users