#1 johnmeyer

johnmeyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 04:01 PM

Hi all,

I have started running through courses' pins on practice mode in order to check which ones are suitable for the Simulator Tour tournaments.

After doing a bit of checking and getting feedback from some players basically we ideally need less than 5" of elevation change in a 10ft radius around the hole, with nothing more than prob 1 or 2" inside 6ft.

Not having CF myself, but from hearing from you guys how its tough to tell in unity how a pin is going to play, I was wondering whether you think its possible that by using the height level tool in the terrain, and setting the brush to the circle and to size 3 (which I assume equates to metres) it would indeed "level" that area

As to whether this would make it totally flat, which isnt exactly called for, or whether there would maybe be minor variations in height across the brush that would maybe equate to the odd couple of inches, if that could be tested thatd be great.

I appreciate many of you primarily design with mouse/controller users in mind and so these pins may seem very easy, but in terms of sim users, if you could perhaps drop an extra couple of pins in using those sort of parameters from the opening paragraph it would be be very much appreciated. Would also be interested to know if the brush method works too

Thanks

OGT Simulator Tour Admin

#2 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 04:08 PM

Just curious.  Not being a simulator player myself.  What makes putting on a slope so difficult?

Win 10, i7-7700 @4.2 ghz, 16GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 1080
Swing Type: Tour Pro Wireless XBox 360 Controller.

#3 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 10 October 2016 - 04:23 PM

I could be wrong, but I believe it's been said that the upcoming 

version of CF will not allow a pin to be planted on a severe slope.

I try to plant pins with a flat 3 foot radius around the hole, but

there are exceptions on some difficult pin placements. Trying

to keep a 5" difference inside of 10 feet would be very difficult

considering that most greens average around 30 feet in diameter,

and Unitys smallest brush covers at least 5 feet if not more, but

I suppose it's possible with a lot of special smoothing and time spent in that area.

I see your point and I'll try to keep the sim players in mind.

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#4 jcolton31

jcolton31

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 10:31 AM

When you say flat around the hole do you mean truly flat or rather a uniform, consistent slope in the area around the hole?

#5 johnmeyer

johnmeyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 10:59 AM

Around the hole it doesnt need to flat as you say, more uniform, but the slope just doesnt want to be too severe as it makes putting in real life near impossible.

The new tool on CF with the slope angles I think will help with this massively, as if people generally stick with the now more than 3 degree for the pins in a 10ft ish area then most should be fine.

Maybe as there can be so many pins even if just 2 of them could have say more more than 3 degree slopes that would be 100% sure that theyd be absolutely fine as we on Sim only need 2 really.

What we need really is the tool that is now in game, ie the slope to be displayed when clickin show pins in game, that way could instantly see what pins are suitable for sim.

OGT Simulator Tour Admin

#6 jcolton31

jcolton31

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 12:05 PM

This is what I have been using as a guide, though I think in terms of percent slope instead of degrees as is listed here.

http://gsrpdf.lib.ms...2008/080721.pdf

I asked Tom Doak about this as he said greens need at least 1% slope (Equivalent to about 0.57 degrees) of slope for water to run off, which is the primary concern when building greens in real life. In colder climates, that minimum needs to be more like 2%. I recall him saying they will pin to 3-4 percent.

I probably built some of the wilder greens on PG (Chop Hills, Holy Oaks), but I think they make sense due to really thinking about the water run off and finding pinnacle spots. CF is a little clunky to get the slopes just right at the micro level though. I haven't seen the new slope feature you're referring to, but I did use this tool called Gaia to color code the greens by slope when I was building greens and placing pins.
  • DPRoberts likes this

#7 J.H.Buchanan

J.H.Buchanan

PG Ameteur Titleist Golf Balls

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • LocationMiami Beach, Florida

Posted 03 December 2016 - 11:26 PM

Hi all,

I have started running through courses' pins on practice mode in order to check which ones are suitable for the Simulator Tour tournaments.

After doing a bit of checking and getting feedback from some players basically we ideally need less than 5" of elevation change in a 10ft radius around the hole, with nothing more than prob 1 or 2" inside 6ft.

Not having CF myself, but from hearing from you guys how its tough to tell in unity how a pin is going to play, I was wondering whether you think its possible that by using the height level tool in the terrain, and setting the brush to the circle and to size 3 (which I assume equates to metres) it would indeed "level" that area

As to whether this would make it totally flat, which isnt exactly called for, or whether there would maybe be minor variations in height across the brush that would maybe equate to the odd couple of inches, if that could be tested thatd be great.

I appreciate many of you primarily design with mouse/controller users in mind and so these pins may seem very easy, but in terms of sim users, if you could perhaps drop an extra couple of pins in using those sort of parameters from the opening paragraph it would be be very much appreciated. Would also be interested to know if the brush method works too

Thanks

Ok so in the tutorials of Course Forge which would be video #10 adding pins and Tees 

he states that the slope should not be over 1 degree or 2 degrees and he says one can recognize the slope by grabbing the pin that was placed down. One can put a flag or other words a pin down such as the Easy pin and move it around and then it will show you the degrees the area changes that are near the pin so you can put it in an area that is 1 degree or 2 degrees. Longer putts seem fine on 4 or 5 degrees or higher as long as it goes in but then when one has a 2 foot putt it seems quite daunting to get in a 4 or 5 degree pin placement well for me anyway. 

Ok one more thing. what I am doing which may be non religious is that I first for the most part figure out the average height of the green and basically flatten the entire thing then I add in a few minor humps and dips to make an uneven surface which prevents a lot of slopes for me which I detest. So to answer your question you can use the height tool to level an area around the hole or even the entire hole area ... 

Little known fact when King Arthur was trying to make a golf course and he ran into some conflict. King Arthur: There's a peace only to be found on the other side of war. If that war should come I will fight it!    Other important fact. Read the Book of John in the Holy Bible. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users