Photo

Pin Placement Angle of Slope

Best Answer Mike Jones , 11 October 2016 - 07:57 AM

The slope indicator only gives a reading in degrees of slope for the precise point of where it is at that moment - think of it as a break line indicator for the flags within CF.

Try and keep the pins on areas of 2 degrees or less if possible. It's easy to see what the slopes are around the area just by moving the pin around a little once you have a spot in mind. I've played a fair amount of real courses with pins set on a 3 degree slope though so it depends on what kind of course it is and where it's protection lies. 

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 johnmeyer

johnmeyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 07:52 AM

http://www.perfectpa...arted/?p=112029

Very interesting video this one. 

In terms of the angle of the slope, over what distance is that angle measured?  

In only ask as been checking pins throught the current list of courses and weve been aiming for no more that a 5" elevation change within a 10ft circle in order to make the breaks less severe for sim players

Now when using the Pin Placement Indicator in CF, if that degree of slope is over say 1ft, then 5degree of slope over 12" would give an elevation change of 1" if my maths is right

However if that indicator is measuring over an area of say 3ft then this would be 3" etc etc, 

From using the measure tool and the size of the "box" at the base it would appear its over the 1 metre area of the box.

So using that logic if it is a metre, and we want less than 5" within 10ft, then would need no more than a 2 degree any where within that 10ft radius

ie 2degree over 1m is 1.36 inch of elevation, and if that slope remained the same ove the subsequent 2 meters then would end up with a max of 4" of elevation change.

As we could handle a bit more maybe nothing higher than a 3 would be fine, to give a realistic pin

Not sure if Im on the right track with this, or if thats how it even works?

OGT Simulator Tour Admin

#2 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 07:57 AM   Best Answer

The slope indicator only gives a reading in degrees of slope for the precise point of where it is at that moment - think of it as a break line indicator for the flags within CF.

Try and keep the pins on areas of 2 degrees or less if possible. It's easy to see what the slopes are around the area just by moving the pin around a little once you have a spot in mind. I've played a fair amount of real courses with pins set on a 3 degree slope though so it depends on what kind of course it is and where it's protection lies. 

#3 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 08:08 AM

My workflow/rule of thumb for pin locations on greens set in CF:

1. plant a pin anywhere near where imagined and prepared by sculpting the terrain.

2. Grab the pin symbol and move it around to bring up the pin BLI

3. Select locations where the yellow BLI line is half or less the size of the bottom square in the horizontal or vertical and/or a third or less of the square in a diagonal.

4. Avoid perfectly flat spots where there is no BLI shown at all - it's a bit boring.

Question: How can I know the value of the angle in degrees in CF?

Feature request: Might be helpful if CF could provide that info while moving pins.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#4 johnmeyer

johnmeyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 08:30 AM

Hi K and Mike, 

Thanks for the rapid responses. 

I think youve both pretty much confirmed my thinking, and also K I think your method is a very good one. In terms of the slope angle number on the version we all downloaded yesterday that number is now provided just above the BLI line

Hopefully with the tools now available and utilising both your method and those number we can get at least a couple of pins on every green which will be suitable for Sim guys.. were not PGA putters so we have to be given a bit of a chance :)

Thanks gents

OGT Simulator Tour Admin

#5 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 10:24 AM

Sorry for going old-fashioned on you, jm - I hadn't dl'ed and loaded the public version by the time I answered. Didn't even know it was out. Enjoy CF!

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#6 johnmeyer

johnmeyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 05:15 PM

Bit more info on the siting of pins from the R&A

http://www.randa.org...-Hole-Positions

The guides in A B and C are very useful, particularly when it comes to what is a medium/difficult or easy pin. Also good guidance reagrding placing to close to a green edge etc

• worrybirdie likes this

OGT Simulator Tour Admin

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users