• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 nikuk

nikuk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 02:44 PM

So I've seen alot of passing references to TF (in other sub forums) and I have searched the available forums, as well as Andrews post history yet the question remains:

Where would someone get Terrain Forge? I missed out on the prior betas and have only just gotten CF.

• hydraprupe likes this

#2 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 05:16 PM

It's not available quite yet.

Win 10, i7-7700 @4.2 ghz, 16GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 1080
Swing Type: Tour Pro Wireless XBox 360 Controller.

#3 nikuk

nikuk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 06:30 PM

Hrrm, thank you

#4 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 06 November 2016 - 12:21 PM

I did find a clip on YouTube that used a free site called Terrain Party to create real world terrain data to be used in Unity. Unfortunately you don't get the matching terrain overlay like you do in Terrain Forge, but if you're just wanting some elevated terrain to generate a plot with a real world feel on which to build your golf course on, this isn't bad. Having tried it, it does wok.

While this might not be ideal golfing terrain, after watching the video, it only took a couple of minutes to get the terrain in to Unity. I then just added painted on some textures to help with the look of the terrain.

JuOEVZT.png

• Keith and Pitbull like this

#5 worrybirdie

worrybirdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts
  • LocationPismo Beach, California

Posted 12 November 2016 - 07:22 PM

Eagerly awaiting TF. The courses I like to design all require this function (real, and fictional courses placed in real life locations).

• Armand, Keith, erwildcat and 3 others like this

#6 worrybirdie

worrybirdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 02:33 AM

Still waiting. Been dabbling with other methods of getting Lidar data. I thought Unity was complicated! Really need this guys!

• Keith and Pitbull like this

#7 worrybirdie

worrybirdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 08:06 AM

Another fortnight and still waiting.

#8 johnmeyer

johnmeyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 09:03 AM

Hi worrybirdie.

If your looking to make some LIDAR based courses theres a thread at OGT where a couple of guys have been creaing LIDAR based terrains using global mapper.

The terrains are available to download and import straight into unity ready for CF work to begin. The LIDAR based ones are annotated as such and you should be able to just click on the name to download it.

You can also request courses on there too, and guys will try and see if LIDAR is available.

http://onlinegolftou...php?f=87&t=2072

OGT Simulator Tour Admin

#9 worrybirdie

worrybirdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 07:30 PM

Thanks JM. Very interesting. I will consider the courses with lidar available that are not yet being developed. Unfortunately I really wanted to do a fantasy course on a plot near me for my first project. Thought it would be the best way to hone my skills. Does anyone have any update on TF's progress?

#10 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 07:50 PM

What are the coordinates of the location you are looking for? Do you know if the Lidar is on USGS? I would be willing to try and help. I'm sure if I can't get what you need someone else might step in.

#11 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 01 January 2017 - 09:20 PM

Another fortnight and still waiting.

Don't worry, you're not the only one, lol.

#12 jt83

jt83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 12:17 AM

I'm not sure TF is going to be that useful.  The product page indicates it only works with National Map Viewer which is US only, so it doesn't help internationals like me.  I have no problems finding lidar, but it looks like I'll continue having to pass it on to others to make it CF-ready.

#13 worrybirdie

worrybirdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:23 AM

I'm still waiting hopefully. The Hieronymous Bosch like procedure that people are going through to get this data into Unity is too much (hey I like sliding down a razor blade as much as the next guy). When I did a stint designing on Front Page Golf years ago they had an importation procedure which worked (I used it to design Bethpage Black...computer died before I was done and it never happened...but the terrain download worked).  So I know it can be made more user friendly. Will look forward to a dev commenting on this.

#14 jt83

jt83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:19 AM

Bosch, Escher...  :huh: It's tempting to just leave course creation to the usual suspects, what with the dizzying number of factors involved.  Downloading LIDAR in the right format, Terraland, TerrainParty, GlobalMapper, dragging basic terrain imagery on top of it all, tracing everything out, unique trees, unique textures, 3D objects...Some designers have been generous with their help, but that info will only assist if you do it their way.  Hopefully TerrainForge brings it all together somehow.

#15 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 11:44 AM

When Terrain Forge is working properly, it provides 3 things. A heightmap, an overhead and a set of parameters for setting up the terrain properly.

The rest is still up to you. If getting the terrain set properly is truly the main hang up, I would suggest you try using a terrain put together over at OGT if they have anything based off 1m LIDAR.

There are others around here that seem to be willing to help with this initial step. The big plus to an imported terrain is limiting the time required to contour a course because it's essentially done for you.

If you ever plan to create a fantasy course, hand contouring will be a necessary skill that improves with time but I can understand the desire to limit the variables from the start.

It is probably recommended to try and work through something and actually complete a project. Does not mean you have to publish it. (says the guy who hasn't released a course to the public).

If none of this sounds interesting, it's probably not a hobby suited for you and maybe you can just provide a request for a real course if that's all you really want in the end. There has to be at least a love/hate relationship with the CF process or you won't make it through. (Hopefully, more love than hate but both reactions are typical for most designers, I believe. Hate is really too strong of a word. It's more annoyed on little things.)

#16 jt83

jt83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 01:09 AM

If getting the terrain set properly is truly the main hang up, I would suggest you try using a terrain put together over at OGT...

Larry has already generously put together some terrains based on local data I found.  I've since found more and would like to compare the quality to previous data without annoying him; if TerrainForge can handle where I'm getting the lidar from, I'll be happy.  At least then I can help make the terrains available to anyone and maybe chip away at a course on my own time.

#17 worrybirdie

worrybirdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 04:35 AM

Just think that if a project is doable (the data is available) we should be able to do this ourselves (with a little determination) rather than having to go begging to the wonderful geniuses (and I'm being sincere) who know how to do it.

But I do appreciate the wonderful geniuses!

#18 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 12:53 PM

Makes sense. I applaud the go it alone style. Just didn't want you waiting for TF when getting that data is already available by other means. Additionally, didn't want you to presume TF could do more than those 3 things.

#19 Jimbo63

Jimbo63

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • LocationManchester, England

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:18 PM

Is there any way for me to import a Links 2003 course into CF without TF?

• Budric1 likes this

#20 worrybirdie

worrybirdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 04:43 AM

Makes sense. I applaud the go it alone style. Just didn't want you waiting for TF when getting that data is already available by other means. Additionally, didn't want you to presume TF could do more than those 3 things.

Sorry so late on the response. All I want is a reasonable application to import height maps into Unity. I think that is what Terrain Forge was advertised as.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users