Photo

Future DLC content

Best Answer Mike Jones , 12 October 2016 - 04:58 AM

We will be utilizing the Steam Workshop soon so that people will be able to more easily share textures, terrains libraries etc. In addition there will probably be more DLC in the future from us too.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 11 October 2016 - 09:46 PM

In the future, will there be additional DLC content available, for purchase or otherwise for designers, like tree packages or planting sets? A desert theme with several types of cactus might be one example.

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#2 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 09:51 PM

Yeah, I'd love to make a cactus in the modeler.  I tried to watch a hour and 20 minute youtube video of this guy figuring out how to make a cactus and I wanted to poke my eyes out after 20 min.  It took him that long to make a stalk and was just starting on some cactus "arms".

Win 10, i7-7700 @4.2 ghz, 16GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 1080
Swing Type: Tour Pro Wireless XBox 360 Controller.

#3 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 04:58 AM   Best Answer

We will be utilizing the Steam Workshop soon so that people will be able to more easily share textures, terrains libraries etc. In addition there will probably be more DLC in the future from us too.

#4 nikuk

nikuk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 05:13 PM

Yeah, I'd love to make a cactus in the modeler.  I tried to watch a hour and 20 minute youtube video of this guy figuring out how to make a cactus and I wanted to poke my eyes out after 20 min.  It took him that long to make a stalk and was just starting on some cactus "arms".

To be honest, at that point I'll just buy assets from Unity.  :wacko:

#5 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 05:30 PM

To be honest, at that point I'll just buy assets from Unity.  :wacko:

Not at $60 a cactus!  LOL

Win 10, i7-7700 @4.2 ghz, 16GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 1080
Swing Type: Tour Pro Wireless XBox 360 Controller.

#6 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 12 October 2016 - 06:46 PM

Yeah, that's sort of my dilemma. I can't afford the pre-made stuff but when I try it myself I get something that looks like my 3 year-old did it.
  • uvmnick likes this

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#7 Dropzone73

Dropzone73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 13 October 2016 - 07:48 AM

Isn't it possible to do some kind of 3D modeling from photos with a mobile or windows app. Here is an example link:

http://www.123dapp.c...ery/content/all

If those models can be saved in the usable format(s), wouldn't it be possible to use them in Unity?

Just a thought. Have to go to desert or to florist's to shoot some photos around the cuctuses though:).

#8 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 13 October 2016 - 09:42 AM

Isn't it possible to do some kind of 3D modeling from photos with a mobile or windows app. Here is an example link:

http://www.123dapp.c...ery/content/all

If those models can be saved in the usable format(s), wouldn't it be possible to use them in Unity?

Just a thought. Have to go to desert or to florist's to shoot some photos around the cuctuses though:).

No way could you use photogrammetry models as 3D objects in PG unless you have the ability to convert them down to a very basic model somehow. The performance issues would be horrendous! Just because a model is in the correct format does not mean that it will be usable in a game environment. There are some models available on the internet that have more polys than a whole PG course!  :lol:

Performance (and therefore a very low poly count) is vitally important if you are going to be using a 3D model of say a cactus, hundreds, or even thousands of times in a game environment such as PG.

life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#9 Dropzone73

Dropzone73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 13 October 2016 - 10:35 AM

No way could you use photogrammetry models as 3D objects in PG unless you have the ability to convert them down to a very basic model somehow. The performance issues would be horrendous! Just because a model is in the correct format does not mean that it will be usable in a game environment. There are some models available on the internet that have more polys than a whole PG course!  :lol:

Performance (and therefore a very low poly count) is vitally important if you are going to be using a 3D model of say a cactus, hundreds, or even thousands of times in a game environment such as PG.

Thanks for this information! Now I can forget this idea for good ;) .

#10 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 13 October 2016 - 11:42 AM

Thanks for this information! Now I can forget this idea for good ;) .

It might still be a viable method to create PG objects if you can find a way to 'simplify' the results. Building simple objects in something like Sketchfab, or Blender though is probably more practical for games that need to shift a lot of polys smoothly.

It may even be a fairly simple task to optimise them in Blender. I'm sure the 3D experts around here would know how easy this would be. I have only dabbled very briefly with such programs.

life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#11 trailblazergolf

trailblazergolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Locationflorida

Posted 13 October 2016 - 03:50 PM

wow--i'll neva hav the ability to build a course--but i'm soo much enjoying reading all the posts that you guys that do have the ability --to me it's so interesting !!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users