Photo

Course gets stuck when loading in game at 50%

Best Answer Mike Jones , 16 October 2016 - 10:06 AM

Debug tutorial is now posted in the tutorials section.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 johnmeyer

johnmeyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 12:38 PM

Had this happen a few times with some other guys released courses in the past. 

Now it seems my own creation is suffering from it.

Been through and checked all splines, no errors anyway. Builds fine.

When loading in game gets to 50% and hangs, no error messages on console any ideas?

OGT Simulator Tour Admin

#2 garynorman

garynorman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • LocationBedfordshire, England

Posted 14 October 2016 - 12:42 PM

My guess would be that either

a -  you have missing pins for the difficulty that they are set at (eg you have 18 holes laid out but only 17 easy pins and you've set the pins to easy)

or

b - you have a rogue pin not on a green somewhere...

#3 Jimbobh

Jimbobh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 14 October 2016 - 12:57 PM

Your Saved scene name can't have any CAPS or spaces. Example, Save scene as "my_course", and not "My Course" (without quotes) then rebuild. Usually this is the case when freezing at 50%, But I would ckeck that.

Gigabyte ga-z68x-ud3h-b3 Motherboard

Intel Core i5-2400 CPU@3.1GHz 3.70GHz

GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
16GB Ram   (2)G.Skill Ripjaws F3-10666L9S-8GBXL
Windows 7 Home Premium

#4 johnmeyer

johnmeyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 01:00 PM

Checked both the above, no problems there. Must've just been a problem during the build, as changed nothing, rebuilt all the splines and this time worked fine. 

Stunningly fast response as always, thanks very much guys

OGT Simulator Tour Admin

#5 johnmeyer

johnmeyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 10:06 PM

Gold star goes to garynorman.

Found it was only sticking at 50% when loading on medium pins, so went with a possible rogue pin solution.

Currently only setting 1 of each difficulty to so all green pins are so far labelled easy1 medium2 difficult 3

Noticed on Hole 2 were labelled easy1, medium3, difficult4 - the clues are starting to point to a rogue Hole 2 pin.... so where is it? 

Well searched everywhere where id expect it may be but no visual signs of it, and if anyone has a better way to find it then please let me know as the way I found it is quite long winded but my method is as follows:

Having built the course, navigate to the course folder, and then right click on the .description file and open with Word. Press Ctrl+F and search for the term "pins"

Click the checkbox for highlight found items.

Use the highlight button if you have it on your tool bar to highlight the Pins keyword youve found.

Now everything after that "pins" word is the hole index (Hole 1 is Hole Index 0),  difficulty, and x, y z coordinates for all of the pins youve planted

So I knew it was Hole 2 where I had a rogue pin, so Ctrl+F again, and this time search for "holeindex":1

Again make sure the checkbox for highlight all terms found is checked

Use your highlighter pen icon once the search is complete to highlight all your now shown Hole 2 pins.

Now by looking at the x y z coordinates of the pins for the hole they should all be pretty close, so any rogue pin which you havent been able to visually see near you "proper" pins will be vastly different.

Sure enough I had a pin with a hugely different z coordinate - so I now know the location of my rogue pin. 

Easiest way I found to then navigate to that position, is to then simply use the human height indicator, or create a small in game asset, a cube for instance, and then set its x y z coordinate of your rogue pin. 

Your asset will then move off to the rogue pins location, and its a simple matter of double clicking on that item in your heirachy and you will be magically transported to the rogue pins location and remove

Make sure you exit word without saving :)

Id say simple as that, and it does indeed sound more complicated than it is. However the ,description file is very handy for find locations of all your tees, pins and shot points should something go awry.

Now hopefully cue someone to tell me theres a simple search function in unity/cf to allow me to instantly navigate to various assets such as pins, shot points etc etc :)

• garynorman likes this

OGT Simulator Tour Admin

#6 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 12:55 AM

Wow. Cool approach. Thinking you can do this through DEBUG but guessing that is in the "tutorials to come not to be spoken about." You'll be glad to know the layers library tutorial is up and I'm assuming it means it can be spoken about now.

#7 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 12:55 AM

Is the debug video not posted yet?  There's a much easier way to do this in Unity.  Mike had a tutorial video about it in the past.    

Edit:  Whoops.  Posted at the same time as DPRoberts

#8 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 10:06 AM   Best Answer

Debug tutorial is now posted in the tutorials section.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users