#1 drillerman

drillerman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 01:34 PM

Just a couple to begin with:

1. For a long driving hole, the further the drive goes the wider the fairway. Think of carrot and stick!!

2. Always give the player at least two options per hole. The safe, low risk, low reward option and the high risk, high reward option. EG: big drive to get over the lake and a short iron to the green or lay up short of the lake leaving a longer second.

Please add to this list!! :)

#2 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 02:15 PM

I like this thread! Try and use angles to make a course more interesting, driving to an angled fairway or hitting to an angled green which is offset to the line of play is a good way to test the skill of a player.

#3 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 02:25 PM

This is a great interview with the one and only Jack Nicklaus who talks about his approach to golf design:

http://golfclubatlas...-jack-nicklaus/

#4 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 03:28 PM

Unfortunately a design idea that I really like in real life doesn't work very well in the game.  Using visibility of the green/pin as a reward for proper positioning of a tee shot.  It is subtle and decreases the need for hazards around the landing areas.  

Aiming in the the top cam, spot pin, and automatic alignment of the golfer to the flagstick basically eliminate this from being a useful design concept.

Seemingly simple holes could be much more interesting if this were more of a factor.      

#5 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 05:24 PM

In the more difficult modes of play you cant aim in the top view and alignment with the flag rrally only helps when there is no wind and you have a flat lie.

You can still use all of the concepts of real design as they still have merit for the people looking for a realistic experience but your points do prompt a discussion about realism versus gameplay.

#6 drillerman

drillerman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 06:26 PM

For a long driving hole, the further the drive goes the wider the fairway.

Mike, you made reference to Jack Nicklaus. It was him who actually said the above.

1.Gradually increase the difficulty of the holes followed by a easier birdie opportunity to give the player a respite and something to look forward to.

2. On long approaches to greens (long irons) try placing a bunker or two behind the green to encourage some running shots up to the green. Target golf can get awfully boring. 

3. Build some luck, bad luck into the course. ie. bumpy approaches to greens, overhanging trees near greens, sharp slopes that can gather the ball.

#7 drillerman

drillerman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 06:34 PM

This is a great interview with the one and only Jack Nicklaus who talks about his approach to golf design:

What a fantastic website! They have a feature on the Addington Golf Club, Croydon, South London. OMG! I played golf there in 1990 with Rodger Davis and Ronnie Corbett!!!!! A day I'll never forget.  :D

#8 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 07:35 PM

During hole design, I like to locate my fairway bunkers first, then design the green complex. Fairway design is usually last for me.

To add additional challenge to a hole, have your fairway give a fade lie to a green that accepts a draw, or vice versa.
Win 10, i7-7700 @4.2 ghz, 16GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 1080
Swing Type: Tour Pro Wireless XBox 360 Controller.

#9 worrybirdie

worrybirdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts
  • LocationPismo Beach, California

Posted 16 October 2016 - 07:59 PM

Thanks Mike. This is a good read.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users