#1 mjhamilton113

mjhamilton113

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationLincoln, RI

Posted 17 October 2016 - 12:01 AM

Creating a pond or lake is quite simple however when I go to make a stream that is not completely level I am struggling to make things look right. I was wondering if anyone had come up with a solution or ways around this. Thank You and boy am I enjoying CF and the incredible tutorials 

#2 Jimbobh

Jimbobh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 17 October 2016 - 12:20 AM

Here is one way, Might not be the best way though.

Gigabyte ga-z68x-ud3h-b3 Motherboard

Intel Core i5-2400 CPU@3.1GHz 3.70GHz

GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
16GB Ram   (2)G.Skill Ripjaws F3-10666L9S-8GBXL
Windows 7 Home Premium

#3 mjhamilton113

mjhamilton113

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationLincoln, RI

Posted 17 October 2016 - 12:39 AM

I watched the video and that definitely looks easy however the water is not going to be flowing on a flat plane. Essentially this would emulate a river that is flowing downhill a little bit. I am not looking for the water to move however I am hoping I can accomplish this. If it is not possible I will accommodate my design to it, but this was one of the frustrating things about TGC when designing was only being able to have water on a level piece. Thanks!

#4 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 12:42 AM

On Club Schwarzwald, I tilted and butted together water planes. I used rocks and bushes to hide the butts.
  • RobC likes this
Win 10, i7-7700 @4.2 ghz, 16GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 1080
Swing Type: Tour Pro Wireless XBox 360 Controller.

#5 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 12:45 AM

Having used both TGC and CF, I can tell you that your options are infinitely better with JNPG. In TGC, water was only usable at the lowest point in the terrain because you had to dig a hole that would fill with a single water table. Here, you have the option to have water at any elevation desired. Your question is the hardest thing to do though which is to change elevations. You can place multiple water meshes or angle/rotate meshes to create something flowing downhill. If your terrain is graded sharply, you could make a custom mesh but requires some 3D ability outside of Unity.

#6 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 17 October 2016 - 12:41 PM

At various points you could possibly break up the stream with rocks/plants and insert a mini waterfall effect between the rocks etc that you can dumb down and angle to make it appear as if it is flowing down hill, it can be quite effective done right.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#7 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 17 October 2016 - 10:38 PM

Easy to do something like this...

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#8 mjhamilton113

mjhamilton113

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationLincoln, RI

Posted 18 October 2016 - 02:31 AM

That's badass! How the hell did you do that?! I wouldn't want the waterfalls to be that dramatic but that would look incredible on my course

#9 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 18 October 2016 - 06:23 AM

you need to check in your project to see if you have the waterfall asset, if not mike will prob supply it along with a tutorial at some point.  You just drag it out into your scene, angle it the way you want then adjust the velocity etc.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users