Photo

Grid Fill

Best Answer Mike Jones , 18 October 2016 - 08:40 AM

I have been tinkering with some textures and have noticed that the grid fill on the rough textures is set to 1.5 but the fairway is set to 2. This is generating extremely complex meshes and I was wondering if I could reduce the rough texture grid fill to 3 without causing any problems.

Generally the bunkers go in the rough and the sloping is usually a little more aggressive so it requires a more complex mesh density (the lower the number the more complexity as the number signifies the triangle size), I would certainly not ever make mesh density a higher number than defaults. In the grand scheme of things a single planted tree will more than make the difference between the more complex mesh density you are talking about. 

The real optimisation of courses comes from careful tree and vegetation planting, ask yourself, "Do I really need this tree 50 yards into the middle of the forest and would anyone notice if I took it out"

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jimbo63

Jimbo63

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • LocationManchester, England

Posted 18 October 2016 - 01:02 AM

I have been tinkering with some textures and have noticed that the grid fill on the rough textures is set to 1.5 but the fairway is set to 2. This is generating extremely complex meshes and I was wondering if I could reduce the rough texture grid fill to 3 without causing any problems.

#2 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 08:11 AM

Why would extremely complex meshes bother you in the first place? They are not a major performance factor in the big scheme of things and they are created automatically without additional fuss for you. The only problem you might incur if you changed their grid width would be that you might get some sharper terrain parts sticking through the rough.

The Unity terrain has a res of roughly 1 or even less grid points per meter - A rough with a 3m grid could sometimes struggle to espouse the underlying terrain accurately and fail to display its subtle details and more severe slopes. It also would affect the roundness of mounds, which would stop to look natural and instead show a series of straight lines where you want them to appear softly curved.

That's why fairways can have a larger resolution than rough, because they usually are situated in places that are more flat-ish and smooth than the rough and can afford to be less detailed.

Feel free to try, though - if you are willing to accept the consequences. Keep notes of the changes you made, so that you can backtrack in case they don't work out.

Just for giggles, take a couple of minutes to move away from your course in Unity and

• sculpt a medium mound (30 to 40 degree slopes, 15 meters wide) that is a uneven in shape
  • Next, cover it and some flat ground around it up with default rough and calculate that mesh.
  • Then, change the rough grid to 5 or 6 m (overdo it a bit to spot the difference)
  • Calculate it again an keep your eye on the mound.
  • See a difference? 

Its aspect should have turned a lot more blocky and crude in comparison And around its base you should see some base terrain poking through.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#3 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 08:40 AM   Best Answer

Generally the bunkers go in the rough and the sloping is usually a little more aggressive so it requires a more complex mesh density (the lower the number the more complexity as the number signifies the triangle size), I would certainly not ever make mesh density a higher number than defaults. In the grand scheme of things a single planted tree will more than make the difference between the more complex mesh density you are talking about. 

The real optimisation of courses comes from careful tree and vegetation planting, ask yourself, "Do I really need this tree 50 yards into the middle of the forest and would anyone notice if I took it out"

• StoneComet likes this

#4 Jimbo63

Jimbo63

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • LocationManchester, England

Posted 18 October 2016 - 09:12 AM

Thanks for the replies, helps me understand, as I thought the tight meshes might affect game performance.

#5 StoneComet

StoneComet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 19 October 2016 - 03:45 PM

I'm a little OCD. I tend to hand plant (drag and drop) most of the SpeedTree coupon trees. I tend to put down a lot of trees and vegetation. I'm am on hole 5. This comment has got me thinking about stripping all the vegetation and starting from scratch. I love your highly optimized courses. My question is that if I am getting good frames right now do I really need to do that? I play each hole and check the frame rates to make sure the hole plays well. My graphic settings are pretty high up there.

Second question is that if I continue to add more as I get to eighteen holes will that make the earlier holes suffer more? My thought is that if the draw distance and all those other render settings are set to the average users settings does that not negate what is on the rest of the course? Having a real blast with Course Forge. So much so that I have little time to play. I'll be very happy when I put the finishing touches to the alpha release.

Cheers  :)

• nightowl likes this

- We would be wise to remember that extremism is the real enemy and to keep ourselves aware so as not to become extreme ourselves; otherwise the enemy wins. -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users