Photo

Mesh cutaway tool...weird results?

Best Answer Kablammo11 , 19 October 2016 - 04:12 PM

By cutting away the rough, you severed the link to the sand which now floats freely in the air. The bunker caused the terrain to be removed underneath it (by default, to not interfere with the bottom of the sand) and caused  the water plane below to show. What you're seeing is the standard, automatic terrain excavation made by CF to prevent the meshes ever being forced below the terrain. And this only becomes visible after building or the course OR by testing your work with the "lower terrain" button.

ALL meshes must be surrounded by rough. Your cutaway caused the bunker to NOT be surrounded by rough thus exposing the hidden inner workings of CF on the terrain below. On any other mesh type expect those that are labelled as "bunker" this would actually work.

Remedy: Deactivate the cutaway icon in your cutaway spline and set the same layer to "rough". Same result, but not as messy as now.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 StoneComet

StoneComet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 19 October 2016 - 04:00 PM

The following images show the results once the game is processed for play. When I am in unity the rough and bunker look fine. I used the mesh cutaway tool to create the rough then I created a bunker spline on top of that. When I compile the course and play on it in JNPG I get this:

v0puGVM.png

m6fG0N8.png

I've tried smoothing and looking at the underlying terrain in Course Forge. Basically the bunker is floating above terrain that looks different in Course Forge. There is no water showing when I remove the meshes in Course Forge. Does anyone know what the solution might be and maybe why it occurred in the first place.

Thank You,

SC  B)

- We would be wise to remember that extremism is the real enemy and to keep ourselves aware so as not to become extreme ourselves; otherwise the enemy wins. -

#2 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 04:12 PM   Best Answer

By cutting away the rough, you severed the link to the sand which now floats freely in the air. The bunker caused the terrain to be removed underneath it (by default, to not interfere with the bottom of the sand) and caused  the water plane below to show. What you're seeing is the standard, automatic terrain excavation made by CF to prevent the meshes ever being forced below the terrain. And this only becomes visible after building or the course OR by testing your work with the "lower terrain" button.

ALL meshes must be surrounded by rough. Your cutaway caused the bunker to NOT be surrounded by rough thus exposing the hidden inner workings of CF on the terrain below. On any other mesh type expect those that are labelled as "bunker" this would actually work.

Remedy: Deactivate the cutaway icon in your cutaway spline and set the same layer to "rough". Same result, but not as messy as now.

• StoneComet likes this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#3 StoneComet

StoneComet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 19 October 2016 - 04:55 PM

Thanks for the speedy reply. It worked. Would you say that deactivating the cutaway spline should be SOP once you make the cut to avoid having the issues again?

Thanks again,

SC  B)

- We would be wise to remember that extremism is the real enemy and to keep ourselves aware so as not to become extreme ourselves; otherwise the enemy wins. -

#4 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 08:00 PM

Hm... I don't understand your question, sorry. There is no point in making a cutaway there in the first place. Make a cut for what? To draw in a circle of rough in that spot requires no cutting.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users