1 reply to this topic

#1 Stoney

Stoney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 04:57 PM

Can we have a tutorial please on using these height maps i found plenty at OGT site but not sure if im doing it right or not.

#2 rmoor13

rmoor13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • LocationNewtown, Pennsylvania

Posted 24 October 2016 - 12:03 AM

Hey Stoney,  I thought I'd respond to your post because I've had a success today of getting a good 1 meter Lidar heightmap into unity.  I've been doing trial and error for the last week and will tell you what I've found.  First off,  a good free program I found to export files out of to a R16 raw file (16-bit) is World Machine.  It's free, however I've upgraded to the Pro version b/c the free version only lets you export at 513 resolution.  What you want is to export a 16-bit png or tiff or GeoTiff (grayscale) out as a R16 file.  WM can do this.  The trick and what I've been working on is how to turn you .LAS Lidar data into a .png file.  I used a free program called L3DT.  You import a "heightfield" into L3DT then you can generate the terrain and crop and calculated the mesh in there.  I can't tell you specifically what I did since I'm not certain but I think I imported a .ter or an .HF or .HF2 file.  WM can generate a .ter file (output file) but WM by itself for the input and the output just didn't look too crisp or clean.  Check out these two programs.  Also Accutrans3D is free and can crunch the Lidar data into a single file.  I had four files I loaded with a specific command to "load many".  Then I had to combine all layers into a single layer.  Just these few tasks took the computer about 3 hrs to compile but it did it.  So your heightmap once you have it needs  to be a perfect square.  I resized mine to be 2048 (resolution of 2049).  When you're importing it into unity, in the box enter the square dimensions of your course and the height spread value between the highest and lowest points of your plot.  In your overall terrain dimensions dialog box(es) set you control resolution to 2048.  If you have questions feel free to ask.

Robert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users