142 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew

Andrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,524 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 October 2016 - 07:25 PM

Wanted to give you all a quick update on what we have been working on...

We have recently released The Grove a real course in the UK that hosts the British Masters.  We have another real course in Texas coming soon (the first new public golf course in Texas in several years)  and hopefully a couple of other PGA Tour courses.

We have also been working with Nicklaus Design and hope to announce soon a three course Asia pack of Nicklaus Designs and a 5 course Nicklaus Signature Course pack

On the game front we have been hard at work on a significant rewrite of the bounce physics, which we have done in conjunction with some PGA Pros as some Trackman folks.  This removes one of the more significant weaknesses in our current game and advances it to the next level of reality in simulation golf.

We have also rewritten the Computer Golfers from the ground up and are happy to say that the computer golfer experience is now significantly enhanced.  Faster and with a greater degree of flexibility than before.

We have also separated out the Green Firmness from the Fairway firmness allowing you to play combinations that were not possible before as well as introducing a green quality setting which reflects how bunpy the greens are.  the more bunpy they are the more chance on longer putts that your putt will stray offline due to the unevenness of the green or for those of you who miss a lot of putts the more chance it has to be deflected into the hole.

Finally we have been hard at work on our 3D grass solution.  Attached are some very very early work in progress pictures

Attached Files

• Dazmaniac, luetze, axe360 and 18 others like this

#2 frank70

frank70

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 19 October 2016 - 07:29 PM

Very good gameplay enhancements!!

And the grass looks. Will help the immersion!

One question: Are flares & rays functioning right now? I don't see them anymore and overall the lightning doesn't seem as good as it was a few updates ago.

#3 DivotMaker

DivotMaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 07:35 PM

Sounding better and better with each update Andrew...thank you for the heads up!

PC

Xbox One X

Steam ID: DivotMaker

#4 SirGrassCutter

SirGrassCutter

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationIn the heavy rough

Posted 19 October 2016 - 07:40 PM

Sweet update news Andrew.  Splitting the firmness settings for the greens and fairways is a big plus.  Bumpy greens oh joy!  :)

• rustymike likes this

#5 Sliceapottomus

Sliceapottomus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 19 October 2016 - 07:42 PM

This is excelent news.. Thankyou for the update.......

Ncccrca.jpg
Operating System - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit ,  CPU - Intel Core i5 7600K @ 3.80GHz ,  RAM - 16.0GB, MotherboardASRock B250M Pro4 (CPUSocket) , Graphics card4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti ,  Storage256GB (SSD) , 931GB Seagate , 232GB Maxtor USB Device

#6 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 08:08 PM

Booyah!!!  :)

• DivotMaker likes this

#7 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 19 October 2016 - 08:25 PM

Bravo. Excellent update news.

More courses is always good.

Stoked about the separation of green and fairway settings (something would have loved in Links 2003). Also interested to see the 'bumpy greens' in action as not every course in the world has PGA/Euro Tour quality greens. Will make recreating winter themed public courses even more real, lol. Add in the improved bounce physics too and this game is really making big strides.

Glad to hear the AI have had some love again.

3D grass. Nuff said.

:D

• Greensboronclion and rjc3095 like this

#8 MimicPS

MimicPS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 08:37 PM

One question: Are flares & rays functioning right now? I don't see them anymore and overall the lightning doesn't seem as good as it was a few updates ago.

Still seeing both on mine when the lighting situation allows Frank. Very effective they look too.

So far as the lighting situation goes, there are some low sun positions which do struggle slightly I feel, and where an element of adaptive lighting would help overall to lower the skybox lighting and bring out the low-lit detail in the animation, mainly where the light source is lower on the horizon and behind the view from behind the ani.

#9 gravedodger

gravedodger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationThe northy part of Ireland

Posted 19 October 2016 - 08:38 PM

Great news Andrew, new courses, course physics tweaks, 3D grass in the pipeline ... it's all good  B)

#10 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 19 October 2016 - 09:26 PM

Trinity Forest?

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#11 KenR

KenR

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 09:41 PM

As always, thanks for the update!

Ken

#12 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 09:45 PM

Yeah, I've had the privilege of helping test these new physics.  It's like they started with the chipping and worked their way back to the tee.  Chipping is scary realistic now.  Pitches and flops no longer stop on a dime.  Bounces off of slopes are more true.  Gone is the ballooning effect of the woods, hybrids and longer irons.  Putting is so much more real now.  Those 10 foot putts aren't automatic anymore with greens set to Realistic level. It's heartbreaking to see your right edge putt just hang a little straighter or exhilarating as your putt you slightly misread putt hits a spike mark and wobbles into the hole!  And the AI is very much improved, I've really enjoyed watching the computer players pitch out of a pot bunker as they figure out how to get out of it.  I hope you all look forward to this getting released as it really brings the game to the next level in terms of simulation.

• Ron Piskorik, cajuncapgun, LeazesNDR and 5 others like this
Win 10, i7-7700 @4.2 ghz, 16GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 1080
Swing Type: Tour Pro Wireless XBox 360 Controller.

#13 FixAmer1st

FixAmer1st

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • LocationSun City Center, FL

Posted 19 October 2016 - 09:54 PM

Andrew/Crow

Any idea when the improved Ani Players will be released?

Jerry

Links Golf
CPU_Match_Play_Tour.jpg
CPU_Director_2013.jpg
Administrator of KISS Tours

Dell XPS Desktop
4th Generation Intel Core i7-4790 @ 4.0 GHz
16 GB DDR3 Memory
Win7 64 bit Home Premium
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745 4GB
1TB SATA HardDrive

#14 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 09:56 PM

Andrew/Crow

Any idea when the improved Ani Players will be released?

Jerry

Well, this really needs to go through the regular beta group too, so, I'm not sure.

#15 FixAmer1st

FixAmer1st

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • LocationSun City Center, FL

Posted 19 October 2016 - 10:01 PM

Well, this really needs to go through the regular beta group too, so, I'm not sure.

OK.  I'm in that group.  No wonder we have not had any updates for quite a while. And I thought it was all because of CF.   :lol:  :lol:

Links Golf
CPU_Match_Play_Tour.jpg
CPU_Director_2013.jpg
Administrator of KISS Tours

Dell XPS Desktop
4th Generation Intel Core i7-4790 @ 4.0 GHz
16 GB DDR3 Memory
Win7 64 bit Home Premium
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745 4GB
1TB SATA HardDrive

#16 DivotMaker

DivotMaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 10:13 PM

Yeah, I've had the privilege of helping test these new physics.  It's like they started with the chipping and worked their way back to the tee.  Chipping is scary realistic now.  Pitches and flops no longer stop on a dime.  Bounces off of slopes are more true.  Gone is the ballooning effect of the woods, hybrids and longer irons.  Putting is so much more real now.  Those 10 foot putts aren't automatic anymore with greens set to Realistic level. It's heartbreaking to see your right edge putt just hang a little straighter or exhilarating as your putt you slightly misread putt hits a spike mark and wobbles into the hole!  And the AI is very much improved, I've really enjoyed watching the computer players pitch out of a pot bunker as they figure out how to get out of it.  I hope you all look forward to this getting released as it really brings the game to the next level in terms of simulation.

Music to my ears, thanks!

PC

Xbox One X

Steam ID: DivotMaker

#17 erwildcat

erwildcat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationPiedmont North Carolina

Posted 19 October 2016 - 10:41 PM

The grass looks great! Thanks for all of your hard work.

ASUS Microsoft Windows 11 Home, AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor, 3600 Mhz, 6 Core(s),  (RAM) 16.0 GB

#18 Hokodah

Hokodah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 10:49 PM

Great news, Thanks for the update Andrew.

#19 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts
  • LocationSurfside Beach SC

Posted 19 October 2016 - 11:29 PM

Crow if I am reading it right the putting is much more realistic at a normal level which I take that means you don't have to have the stimp at 13 or 14 all the time to keep the scores in the ball park am I correct?  As for all the other stuff being harder oh my just when I thought I couldn't get any worse.  Lol.

#20 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 11:45 PM

Crow if I am reading it right the putting is much more realistic at a normal level which I take that means you don't have to have the stimp at 13 or 14 all the time to keep the scores in the ball park am I correct?  As for all the other stuff being harder oh my just when I thought I couldn't get any worse.  Lol.

Yes, the Realistic and Bumpy settings make the greens react more like real life rather than say, a billiard table.  Also, because th reactions of the flops, pitches and chips are so more realistic, you really need to think about your approach to the green more.  If you short side yourself, for instance, you're going to have a much more difficult time tying to get close.

• Greensboronclion likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users