Photo

Shadow

Best Answer Mike Jones , 20 October 2016 - 01:04 PM

Yeah its just a rendering artifact, you can go into your quality settings and turn shadows to 2 cascades and it will go away. It doesn't affect the way the course will look in game as PG has it's own quality settings independent of your editor's.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 drillerman

drillerman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 12:57 PM

When angling the view up and down a large shadow appears then disappears see the pictures:

Shadow

http://imgur.com/H8v0ijz

No shadow

http://imgur.com/5gzCR4z

If anyone else is having the same problem, the way I overcame it was by changing the option to "No Shadows" in the DIRECTIONAL LIGHT ----->LIGHT menu.

#2 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 01:04 PM   Best Answer

Yeah its just a rendering artifact, you can go into your quality settings and turn shadows to 2 cascades and it will go away. It doesn't affect the way the course will look in game as PG has it's own quality settings independent of your editor's.

#3 TimBoch

TimBoch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationFarmington, MN

Posted 20 October 2016 - 03:26 PM

Any idea why the shadows draw on the CF spline areas but not on the Unity terrain?  

Thanks for the help.

2zCRKHo.jpg

Course Forge Courses in various stages of design: Dwan Golf Club, Hyland Greens, Faribault CC, Desert Valley CC/ Woodland Trail(fictional), Infamous Golf Course (fantasy)
Links 2003 Designs: Dwan Golf Club, Infamous Golf Course, Hazeltine National Golf Club (assistant designer), Woodland Trail/Desert Valley CC , Faribault CC (beta), Hyland Greens (beta), Double Eagle (beta), King's Walk (beta), Interlachen CC (still in planning)
Intel Core i7-4710HQ 2.5GHz
  • Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit
  • 16GB DDR3L RAM
  • 750GB 7,200RPM Hard Drive
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M

#4 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 12:05 AM

Not sure but your directional light colour is very dark , should be white or almost white. Does this happen in game as well as editor?

#5 ed dawson

ed dawson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 05:32 AM

I'm still having problems with this shadow.  I've gone into Light - Directional Light and made sure that 'No Shadows' is selected but it still persists.  Dropping an object (rock etc) into the scene and double clicking on it doesn't clear it - I'm finding it really tough to get in close and do any detail shaping.  Mike, you make reference to going into 'quality settings' and turning shadows to 2 cascades but although I've looked, I can't work out where these setting are to be found.  Lots have people had problems with this shadow but no-one seems to have queried this - they must all have resolved their issues, so as there always has to be a struggler and kind people say that there is no such thing as a stupid question ( :wacko: ), any chance of a quide dog to lead me to 'Quality Settings'.

tia

#6 TimBoch

TimBoch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationFarmington, MN

Posted 25 October 2016 - 06:35 PM

I ended up deleting the directional light and adding a new one. The shadows seem to be fixed, but I am still dealing with the texture issue of how the same texture looks so different in Unity compared to CF.

Course Forge Courses in various stages of design: Dwan Golf Club, Hyland Greens, Faribault CC, Desert Valley CC/ Woodland Trail(fictional), Infamous Golf Course (fantasy)
Links 2003 Designs: Dwan Golf Club, Infamous Golf Course, Hazeltine National Golf Club (assistant designer), Woodland Trail/Desert Valley CC , Faribault CC (beta), Hyland Greens (beta), Double Eagle (beta), King's Walk (beta), Interlachen CC (still in planning)
Intel Core i7-4710HQ 2.5GHz
  • Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit
  • 16GB DDR3L RAM
  • 750GB 7,200RPM Hard Drive
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M

#7 ed dawson

ed dawson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 12:17 PM

Thanks for the help Tim. I have replaced the directional light and it certainly seems to have helped. I'd still love to know where to find my quality settings in order to select "2 cascades"

#8 RobC

RobC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
  • LocationSouthampton England

Posted 26 October 2016 - 06:36 PM

They are in 'Edit/Project Settings/Quality'

I had the same problem after updating to 5.2.3 but noticed my directional light was below the terrain so moved it back to where it should be and all is fine in the world again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users