Photo

Somehow I destroyed my terrain

Best Answer StoneComet , 21 October 2016 - 02:49 PM

Thank you for the reply. I was just returning here because I figured out what I did and how to restore it if you do not ctrl + z immediately after a delete of terrain.

What happened was I was clearing some hand placed trees by selecting them in the scene and then pressing delete. I recommend that designers that want to clear their hand placed trees delete them out of the hierarchy. This is because if you are click delete, click delete you might accidentally click on the terrain and then press delete. OOPS! My issue was I forgot the ctrl + z and just left the project and tried to reload it and when it asked me if I wanted to save the scene, I did.

The remedy was to pull the terrain asset out of the assets folder directly and dragging it into the scene without terrain. Just like you do when you hand plant a tree or object. It only works if there is no terrain present as far as I can tell. At any rate I was able to salvage my holes and the terrain and learned the best practice for deleting large amounts of objects out of a scene. Use the hierarchy!

Forging ahead, yeah I went there,

SC  :D

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 StoneComet

StoneComet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 21 October 2016 - 12:29 PM

I was clearing some trees and must have right click shift key press or some combination that destroyed my terrain. All is not lost as I back up the scene regularly in another scene folder plus I back up my entire project to a cloud drive every so often.

Before I entirely give up and use the backup which is missing hole #6 (forgot to save the scene to the other folder last night) is there a way for me to recover the destroyed terrain. Even my terrain saves seem to have all disappeared somewhere.

Thank you,

SC :(  

- We would be wise to remember that extremism is the real enemy and to keep ourselves aware so as not to become extreme ourselves; otherwise the enemy wins. -

#2 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 01:53 PM

Once your terrain is saved it will not simply 'disappear' it will be wherever you saved it which by default is in the assets folder of your project. The scene does not contain the terrain file so it's always backed up separately as shown in the tutorials.

Usually if you accidentally delete your terrain you can simply do a ctl - z to undo if you notice it straight away. We will be looking at ways of programatically avoiding these mistakes with a warning popup for example if CF recognised the terrain is being deleted.

• StoneComet likes this

#3 StoneComet

StoneComet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 21 October 2016 - 02:49 PM   Best Answer

Thank you for the reply. I was just returning here because I figured out what I did and how to restore it if you do not ctrl + z immediately after a delete of terrain.

What happened was I was clearing some hand placed trees by selecting them in the scene and then pressing delete. I recommend that designers that want to clear their hand placed trees delete them out of the hierarchy. This is because if you are click delete, click delete you might accidentally click on the terrain and then press delete. OOPS! My issue was I forgot the ctrl + z and just left the project and tried to reload it and when it asked me if I wanted to save the scene, I did.

The remedy was to pull the terrain asset out of the assets folder directly and dragging it into the scene without terrain. Just like you do when you hand plant a tree or object. It only works if there is no terrain present as far as I can tell. At any rate I was able to salvage my holes and the terrain and learned the best practice for deleting large amounts of objects out of a scene. Use the hierarchy!

Forging ahead, yeah I went there,

SC  :D

- We would be wise to remember that extremism is the real enemy and to keep ourselves aware so as not to become extreme ourselves; otherwise the enemy wins. -

#4 Jimbobh

Jimbobh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 23 October 2016 - 11:59 AM

Here is also a way to use the CF restore Terrain tool

• StoneComet likes this

Gigabyte ga-z68x-ud3h-b3 Motherboard

Intel Core i5-2400 CPU@3.1GHz 3.70GHz