Photo

Help! CF don't let me save or backup terrain anymore :(

Best Answer mistajam , 23 October 2016 - 12:13 PM

Update:

So yesterday i lost my terrain and the ability to save or load terrain in CF. Later that night  I managed to get my terrain back in place by draging my terrain backup from the project window into the scene like the human height or a tree. BUT the CF Plugin was f*****up somehow ... still no ability to backup or load terrain ... it also didn't let me edit splines properly and freezing for 10 sec with every spline move, then deleting the moved point of the spline!?? No way to continue working with this setup.

So, as i understood from other Q/A , when i would like to work on a new course i anyway have to install CF again for every new project. My plan was to start a new project from scratch (like in Mikes Tutorial) like when i installed it the first time and then to load my scene and terrain backups on the end. So that's what i did :

Started new Project in Unity ... gave it a new name ...

... installed CF like first time ... (without double clicking course1 file)

... installed the Speedtrees like first time 

... then (in the windows explorer) i navigated to my new project folder and pasted my Scene Backup in Assets and the Terrain Backup in Assets --> Course where they belong to.

... So back in Unity then i loaded with a double click my backup scene file from the project window just like in Mikes tutorial when it says double click course1 ( the one where we see the terrain the very first time). 

.... and lastly i loaded my backup terrain file with CF --> Load terrain

So now its all back and CF is working as it suppose to, i'm happy to continue with my creation, still don't know how that happened that CF was that broken, but no problem with backup files you can always start a new project and load your backup in and continue.

I've lost maybe 20 minutes of work on Hole 6 and some hand planted trees but that's really nothing compared to loosing all.

Maybe this is helping someone who's installation became unworkable ... but only if you backed up your files seperately and OFTEN like Mike mentioned in the tutorials ;)

Happy Days ;) :)

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mistajam

mistajam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationMunich

Posted 22 October 2016 - 10:09 PM

Hello guys,

This is hard, i'm working on hole 6 of my "creation" (1 week of work) and suddenly i managed to let my terrain vanish ... CF hanging ... ctrl+Z doesn't help to bring it back. So i thought well i made a Backup of my Terrain + Scene File after every hole for a reason, so lets just load the backup terrain files and this should bring it back or? BUT NO ...  CF seems to have forgotten the path to the directory. Clicking on Perfect Parallel --> Backup Terrain and/or --> Load Terrain doesn't do anything anymore ... no file browser :( :( ... nada ...

Unity is showing me this in the status line on the bottom:

!ArgumentExeption: Invalid Path

cf-lost-path.png

Don't know what to do now to get my terrain for the 6 holes back :(. Someone who experienced THIS before? Any advice, help? Please i'm a little desperate. Thinking about de-installing CF from Unity to reinstall but don't know how? Or even to de-install Unity including CF and to start fresh to then load my backup files???. I'm confused atm and worried, so i take a break right now before i de-install all to hear what you guys are saying.

I'm thankful for any advise :)

Mistajam

#2 mistajam

mistajam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationMunich

Posted 23 October 2016 - 01:36 AM

OK :) i think i sorted it out myself :) :)

i can explain tomorrow if anybody is interested ;) ... but now i need to sleep ;)

#3 mistajam

mistajam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationMunich

Posted 23 October 2016 - 12:13 PM   Best Answer

Update:

So yesterday i lost my terrain and the ability to save or load terrain in CF. Later that night  I managed to get my terrain back in place by draging my terrain backup from the project window into the scene like the human height or a tree. BUT the CF Plugin was f*****up somehow ... still no ability to backup or load terrain ... it also didn't let me edit splines properly and freezing for 10 sec with every spline move, then deleting the moved point of the spline!?? No way to continue working with this setup.

So, as i understood from other Q/A , when i would like to work on a new course i anyway have to install CF again for every new project. My plan was to start a new project from scratch (like in Mikes Tutorial) like when i installed it the first time and then to load my scene and terrain backups on the end. So that's what i did :

Started new Project in Unity ... gave it a new name ...

... installed CF like first time ... (without double clicking course1 file)

... installed the Speedtrees like first time 

... then (in the windows explorer) i navigated to my new project folder and pasted my Scene Backup in Assets and the Terrain Backup in Assets --> Course where they belong to.

... So back in Unity then i loaded with a double click my backup scene file from the project window just like in Mikes tutorial when it says double click course1 ( the one where we see the terrain the very first time). 

.... and lastly i loaded my backup terrain file with CF --> Load terrain

So now its all back and CF is working as it suppose to, i'm happy to continue with my creation, still don't know how that happened that CF was that broken, but no problem with backup files you can always start a new project and load your backup in and continue.

I've lost maybe 20 minutes of work on Hole 6 and some hand planted trees but that's really nothing compared to loosing all.

Maybe this is helping someone who's installation became unworkable ... but only if you backed up your files seperately and OFTEN like Mike mentioned in the tutorials ;)

Happy Days ;) :)

#4 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 01:12 PM

Way to think out of the box!  Thanks for letting everyone know.  Mike always said to us beta testers, back in the olden days, that as long as we had some key backups, no course was ever lost forever :)

• mistajam likes this
Win 10, i7-7700 @4.2 ghz, 16GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 1080
Swing Type: Tour Pro Wireless XBox 360 Controller.

#5 mistajam

mistajam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationMunich

Posted 23 October 2016 - 05:18 PM

Thank you Crow :)

well this is how i understand the spirit of such forums ... there is nothing worse than someone stating "Well, fixed it myself over out and adios ... or ... thank you don't mind anymore, fixed" even when you found the solution yourself. It's always nice to describe what you have done to fix it so others can refer to it later in case they find themselves in similar trouble. :)

I can just recommend BACKUP,  BACKUP,  Backup ;) :)

I do this per hand (scene file and terrain backup) in a separate folder outside of my project every time i did major changes or a new hole etc. I first render, then playtest it (if everything still loads and playable) --> THEN i save the files per hand in my backup folder. Its a fast routine ;) :) and you are really save finally ;) :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users