Photo

Marking an island green

Best Answer Kablammo11 , 24 October 2016 - 02:05 PM

Keeping in mind that red means lateral and yellow stands for regular water, also keeping in mind that there are endless possibilities to arrange the hazard and mine is not necessarily the right one, I would suggest you draw 3 hazard splines.

The first:

FFtbrri.jpg

Since in this case dropping a lateral water ball on the other side of the lake is not feasible, you can make all of the underwater parts spline yellow. This will force lateral drops to be available on one side of the water plane. The game determines which kind of hazard comes into play by the point where a ball crosses the outer line, same as IRL.

The second spline:

e7R3NPd.jpg

Harzard splines can overlap, others and also themselves. Just build in a little loop to exclude the island green. 3rd Spline:

uucUc88.jpg

Like this. Again, you can draw 10 splines instead of 3 if you want to differentiate more accurately between laterals and regulars. Start drawing these splines as lateral hazards, then change their colour to yellow.

You think you're done? You're not. Now you also need a WHITE O.B line as well.

K3YdW2v.jpg

You could extend all your water splines to reach the distant shore (which probably is the outside of the golf course). Myself, at least on large bodies of water or oceans, I prefer to use the outer O.B to come in closer and supersede the water hazard wherever a golfer can not reasonably hit his ball to even with a gross mishit. Any ball outside the white line will be given O.B. and incur a Rehit (Same as hitting into a water hazard.)

There are many ways to set up these hazards. Personally, I really dislike drawing them, because they require considerable time, patience and a lot of precise attention to detail. They are chores, no two ways about that. But it's part of my job.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 11:36 PM

How do I properly mark the hazard for a true island green with no connecting land?  I'm using a small bridge to connect the fairway to the green (water flows underneath the bridge).  

Maybe I'm overlooking something obvious, but it seems there will be a section of water left unmarked the way the current hazard spline system works.  

I'm guessing just get the splines as close as possible under the bridge and hope no one lands in the unmarked area?   

#2 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 11:55 PM

For clarification and a visual, I'm referring to this situation:

m8cfTG4.jpg

Maybe it would be better to have the unmarked section behind the green since that's the least likely hazard entry point.

#3 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 03:36 AM

Well, I would create the hazard line as if there was a pixel wide land bridge between the green and mainland.  Then drag the control points of the hazard line such that the hazard lines end up on top of each other over that proverbial pixel wide land bridge.

Win 10, i7-7700 @4.2 ghz, 16GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 1080
Swing Type: Tour Pro Wireless XBox 360 Controller.

#4 StoneComet

StoneComet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 23 October 2016 - 03:39 PM

What happens if you leave out the hazard splines completely? Does the game still make determinations when the ball ends up in the drink? I've often wondered this?

SC  :huh:

- We would be wise to remember that extremism is the real enemy and to keep ourselves aware so as not to become extreme ourselves; otherwise the enemy wins. -

#5 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 03:48 PM

SC,

If the waterplane is properly set to a water material, the game recognizes it as a hazard but it doesn't have proper drop options available because it's unmarked.

I'm not at my PC right now so I can't tell you specifically how the game will determine the next shot.

#6 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 04:00 PM

Bortimus, can you provide me with a high areal view looking down on your problem island, including the fairway? I will gladly draw in a possible hazard line to deal with your situation.

Or try and remember that:

1. Water hazard splines can overlap
  2. Lateral hazard splines should have two regular water hazard segments enclosed

...and do some puzzle solving. It's a bit like a mini-game inside CF to find out the best possible route of the hazard lines.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#7 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 04:03 PM

Without proper hazard lines, you'd prolly only have a Rehit option and an 1100 yard drop option.  Just a guess tho.  I've never tested it.

Win 10, i7-7700 @4.2 ghz, 16GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 1080
Swing Type: Tour Pro Wireless XBox 360 Controller.

#8 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 04:09 PM

Ok I'll post an overhead shot later of the lakeside holes and see where you think the best markings would be.

#9 StoneComet

StoneComet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 23 October 2016 - 05:43 PM

Bortimus, can you provide me with a high areal view looking down on your problem island, including the fairway? I will gladly draw in a possible hazard line to deal with your situation.

Or try and remember that:

1. Water hazard splines can overlap
  2. Lateral hazard splines should have two regular water hazard segments enclosed

...and do some puzzle solving. It's a bit like a mini-game inside CF to find out the best possible route of the hazard lines.

Hi K11,

Anyway you could post an example of #2 that I highlighted when you get the time. I get that hazard splines can overlap any other spline but I am unsure of what you mean by the comment about having two regular water hazard splines within all lateral hazard splines?

Thanks to everyone else for their replies.

SC :)  

- We would be wise to remember that extremism is the real enemy and to keep ourselves aware so as not to become extreme ourselves; otherwise the enemy wins. -

#10 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 06:12 PM

StoneComet - "Anyway you could post an example of #2 that I highlighted when you get the time. I get that hazard splines can overlap any other spline but I am unsure of what you mean by the comment about having two regular water hazard splines within all lateral hazard splines?"

2.23 onwards will explain what K11 is talking about.

• StoneComet likes this

#11 StoneComet

StoneComet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 24 October 2016 - 12:10 AM

I did watch that one I just forgot about the two yellow splitters.

Thanks again!

SC  :)

#12 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 01:25 PM

Here's an overhead shot of the lakefront holes.  Any ideas on the best way to mark the hazards? 

C0cAbpw.jpg

#13 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 02:05 PM   Best Answer

Keeping in mind that red means lateral and yellow stands for regular water, also keeping in mind that there are endless possibilities to arrange the hazard and mine is not necessarily the right one, I would suggest you draw 3 hazard splines.

The first:

FFtbrri.jpg

Since in this case dropping a lateral water ball on the other side of the lake is not feasible, you can make all of the underwater parts spline yellow. This will force lateral drops to be available on one side of the water plane. The game determines which kind of hazard comes into play by the point where a ball crosses the outer line, same as IRL.

The second spline:

e7R3NPd.jpg

Harzard splines can overlap, others and also themselves. Just build in a little loop to exclude the island green. 3rd Spline:

uucUc88.jpg

Like this. Again, you can draw 10 splines instead of 3 if you want to differentiate more accurately between laterals and regulars. Start drawing these splines as lateral hazards, then change their colour to yellow.

You think you're done? You're not. Now you also need a WHITE O.B line as well.

K3YdW2v.jpg

You could extend all your water splines to reach the distant shore (which probably is the outside of the golf course). Myself, at least on large bodies of water or oceans, I prefer to use the outer O.B to come in closer and supersede the water hazard wherever a golfer can not reasonably hit his ball to even with a gross mishit. Any ball outside the white line will be given O.B. and incur a Rehit (Same as hitting into a water hazard.)

There are many ways to set up these hazards. Personally, I really dislike drawing them, because they require considerable time, patience and a lot of precise attention to detail. They are chores, no two ways about that. But it's part of my job.

• StoneComet likes this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#14 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 02:21 PM

Many thanks K11.  Very helpful. 

#15 jspirate

jspirate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 05:57 PM

Sorry for reviving an old topic, but I can't seem get my hazards set correctly!

In the picture below, if I hit the ball over the green and into the water, it drops me on the side of the cliffs behind the green (right-bottom side of pic).  How do I define it so that it takes me back over to the other side of the green (left-top side in the pic).

Thanks for any help you can provide!

i-RtpZHDW-X2.jpg

i7-8700K
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS Pro
64 GB DDR4 3200
MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
LG 32GK850G
Win 10 Home Premium on 1TB SSD

Courses:

Bradford Links - released

Ironwood - released

Cypress Landing - released (also available in a 3DG version)

Crow's Nest - released

#16 Sinewiz

Sinewiz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts
  • LocationMichigan U.S.A.

Posted 27 December 2017 - 07:11 PM

On the course I'm currently working on the backside of the green I have defined as a lateral water hazard (red) that way if you land on the green then carry off the backside you'll get a drop from the back of the green.

Lakes of Taylor Golf Course

Links at Gateway Golf Club

#17 jspirate

jspirate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 07:30 PM

On the course I'm currently working on the backside of the green I have defined as a lateral water hazard (red) that way if you land on the green then carry off the backside you'll get a drop from the back of the green.

That makes sense and I will make that change.

My original problem happens when I hit the ball directly into the water (after flying over the green).   Maybe I should move the OB line up to the green?  Than again, if I do that, then I will lose the benefit the lateral hazard that you describe?  Hmmm...

i7-8700K
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS Pro
64 GB DDR4 3200
MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
LG 32GK850G
Win 10 Home Premium on 1TB SSD

Courses:

Bradford Links - released

Ironwood - released

Cypress Landing - released (also available in a 3DG version)

Crow's Nest - released

#18 Sinewiz

Sinewiz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts
  • LocationMichigan U.S.A.

Posted 27 December 2017 - 07:34 PM

Sorry its seems I misunderstood your problem. Read more carefully and feel your frustration. Not unusual in my opinion to be given some strange drop options.

Lakes of Taylor Golf Course

Links at Gateway Golf Club

#19 jt83

jt83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 03:11 AM

If you're overlapping hazards, how does the game know what to do in the area that's both lateral and normal water?

#20 Armand

Armand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 28 December 2017 - 04:41 AM

Do you only get the one drop option?  I'm guessing since that is the closest drop area, that is the first one presented to you.  I would hope that if you scroll through the options, you might get the 2nd option you're looking for, but maybe not ......

I wonder if making the hazard all lateral would help?  Or maybe all regular water hazard (yellow)?  As you might tell, I'm guessing!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users