#1 Armand

Armand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 24 October 2016 - 03:04 AM

I'm wondering what might cause this behavior in the map/top view in PG?  It seems there is a hurricane brewing or something in the overhead map.  I've seen this in more than one course, both PP and user-designed courses.

Ttp5ojAh.jpg

V5yGx3fh.jpg

My computer specs are as follows:

Radeon Software Version - 16.10.1
Radeon Software Edition - Crimson
Graphics Chipset - AMD Radeon ™ R9 200 Series
Memory Size - 2048 MB
Memory Type - GDDR5
Core Clock - 925 MHz
Windows Version - Windows 10 (64 bit)
System Memory - 24 GB
CPU Type - Intel® Core™ i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz

#2 SirGrassCutter

SirGrassCutter

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationIn the heavy rough

Posted 24 October 2016 - 05:42 AM

Depending on the time of day you choose you will get skies that look this way.  It is normal.

#3 SirGrassCutter

SirGrassCutter

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationIn the heavy rough

Posted 24 October 2016 - 05:44 AM

Oops.  I thought you meant the sky and not the map, me bad.   :P

#4 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 05:45 PM

You mean the billboard trees?

#5 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 06:06 PM

I think it's if you have the time of day set to around midday. It's just the shadows going in a circular pattern.
Steam Name: n.bonaparte
WWG1WGA

#6 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 06:10 PM

T'is not the shadow, imho. Buck is right: The top view is "filmed" by a separate, automatically placed camera same as your golfer cam. And from a far distance, most likely on long par 4's and 5's, that camera hovers so high up to capture the entire hole from tee to green that the Speedtree LOD kicks in and reduces the tree details until there are only billboards left.

(All the more since many trees not close to the playing surface are low-res models or other low-poly trees to save performance).

Note how they align concentrically around the center of the map (the camera axis). You will get a lot less tornado trees on a short par 3 or for your second shots into the green, because for these the camera is placed closer to the ground.

Perhaps an isometric top cam would be less revealing? Anyway, it's not a bug and it's not a mistake by the designer - it's something that is absolutely logical when it happens. Though it might be nice if it didn't. 

• SirGrassCutter likes this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#7 Armand

Armand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 25 October 2016 - 12:45 AM

Thanks, all, especially K11 for the detailed explanation (Buck's "billboard trees" didn't really mean much to me, I'm afraid!).  It doesn't bother me much, but since I've seen it a few times on various courses, I thought I'd ask if it was something to do with my video card.  I'm glad it isn't.  I'll try to take note of the hole length when it occurs and if I happen to come to a conclusion of when it does and doesn't occur, I'll post back.

#8 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 01:30 AM

Thanks, all, especially K11 for the detailed explanation (Buck's "billboard trees" didn't really mean much to me, I'm afraid!).  It doesn't bother me much, but since I've seen it a few times on various courses, I thought I'd ask if it was something to do with my video card.  I'm glad it isn't.  I'll try to take note of the hole length when it occurs and if I happen to come to a conclusion of when it does and doesn't occur, I'll post back.

As K nicely articulated. It's the LOD setting.
Nothing wrong at all. Working as intended to reduce detail far away from players physical location and lower the rendering workload.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users