13 replies to this topic

#1 Larrykuh

Larrykuh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 05:34 AM

For the second time, I encountered an error message "Object reference not set to an instance of an object"on two of the splines on Hole 1. The first time it was the green and fairway. I fixed it by deleteing those two splines and recreating them.

The second time it was the grren and the semi rough splines. This time, I was doing some sculpting and had regeneratd the splines several times. Below are images of my unity screen and the error console.

Any help would be appreciated.

CFerror.png

CFerrorConsole.png

#2 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 07:57 AM

Not sure how the splines became corrupt but you have an issue with spine 28 and spline 5 which I suggest you delete and redraw. 

#3 Larrykuh

Larrykuh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 08:14 AM

That's what I did the first time it happened. I will redraw them, but hoped that the error console might help in determining what caused it to the problem and point to a solution to prevent it from happening again.

#4 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 27 October 2016 - 08:29 AM

Hard to tell, but the Fairyway spline looks very close to the Green spline

in the top left of pic. Click and hold on a control point and hit shift to see

if the fringes overlap.

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#5 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 11:38 AM

That's what I did the first time it happened. I will redraw them, but hoped that the error console might help in determining what caused it to the problem and point to a solution to prevent it from happening again.

I showed it to one of our developers and it's not something we have seen before - perhaps some kindo of disconnect between the mesh and the spline which can occur if the mesh properties have been altered in some way in the inspector.

#6 Larrykuh

Larrykuh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 04:58 PM

Thanks Mike. I don't believe I made any changes to the mesh properties, if so, it was purely by accident. What's strange is it doesn't happen anywhere else on the course. I did verify there was no spline overlap, so it seems it will remain a mystery. I will redraw the spines and see what happens.

#7 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 29 October 2016 - 09:14 AM

I have had this happen once or twice; in each case I just re-drew the spline and it was okay. But it's kind of a weird phenomenon anyway.

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#8 worrybirdie

worrybirdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts
  • LocationPismo Beach, California

Posted 25 January 2018 - 11:43 PM

This is an old post that I thought I'd revisit since its happened to me more often than I care to think about. Had the green fringe, green, and rough go to hell for no apparent reason just today. Rather than redrawing all of them I went back to the previous save. So much for that hour's work! :angry:

#9 worrybirdie

worrybirdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 08:19 AM

I would really appreciate a response to this ongoing problem.(and I know its not just mine).

#10 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 03:36 PM

I’ve never had the error. Can’t you just delete the offending spline and recreate it? Or is it happening on every spline you create?
Win 10, i7-7700 @4.2 ghz, 16GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 1080
Swing Type: Tour Pro Wireless XBox 360 Controller.

#11 worrybirdie

worrybirdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 07:30 PM

In this case it wasn't worth going through replacing the splines as they were three quite large , intricate splines. The odd thing was that all of the splines were working properly until I raised a portion of the rough quite some distance from the green and refreshed. Why it would corrupt the green and green fringe spline as well as the rough spline, but not the fairway spline, is very strange! :blink:

#12 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 02:56 PM

In this case it wasn't worth going through replacing the splines as they were three quite large , intricate splines. The odd thing was that all of the splines were working properly until I raised a portion of the rough quite some distance from the green and refreshed. Why it would corrupt the green and green fringe spline as well as the rough spline, but not the fairway spline, is very strange! :blink:

The joys of Unity.

Win 10, i7-7700 @4.2 ghz, 16GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 1080
Swing Type: Tour Pro Wireless XBox 360 Controller.

#13 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 28 January 2018 - 05:04 PM

Out of interest, did you at some point prior to the happening use the undo option.  Happened to me once after i undid something, just a case of deleting the spline and starting again, bit of a pain if its intricate like you said.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#14 worrybirdie

worrybirdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 12:09 AM

I don't think so. It was one of those "Here's one more thing I can do before saving", and then..."Go directly to jail...do not pass go...do not collect $200." I've redone the work I did before except for that last spot...I'll leave that alone. (fool me twice)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users