#1 jimbob59

jimbob59

Advanced Member

• Team Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • LocationNewcastle, England

Posted 28 October 2016 - 08:26 AM

Suprised  no one has made other course download sites  so guess Ill have to do it.

We believe  that not everyone is bothered with having their course  ranked after all its   only a subjective assessement.   Not everyone may want their course publically tested either

If folks have  learnt to use COURSE FORGE and  got to grips with UNITY then we feel they should have somewhere to publish their course.

So with that in mind why not have a look at     http://jnpg-course-depot.proboards.com

Jim

• LeazesNDR, Flyon and StoneComet like this

#2 Richard

Richard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBismarck, ND

Posted 28 October 2016 - 09:07 AM

Suprised  no one has made other course download sites  so guess Ill have to do it.

We believe  that not everyone is bothered with having their course  ranked after all its   only a subjective assessement.   Not everyone may want their course publically tested either

If folks have  learnt to use COURSE FORGE and  got to grips with UNITY then we feel they should have somewhere to publish their course.

So with that in mind why not have a look at     http://jnpg-course-depot.proboards.com

Jim

1. I don't really understand your rationales for setting up another website for JNPG courses. Why segment a relatively small community?

2. Who is 'we'. Are you speaking for others or just speaking in 3rd person?

3. I may not be correct, but I'm not aware that OGT requires that courses be ranked. I thought it was optional.

4. I've yet seen a course that the developer did not want tested. IMHO, testing is a must to ensure that the course performs as required for the game. Relying only on the developer to do their own testing is unrealistic because it's almost impossible to adequately verify one's own work.

5. I for one, will not be searching multiple websites to find courses. Sorry, I'm a neat freak that likes things all in one place.

Richard

Posted Image

#3 Harald

Harald

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationNuremberg, Germany

Posted 28 October 2016 - 09:34 AM

Make really no Sense to open another Site for download Usere Courses! OGT is known by all or the most Users and Designers and should be the only Place. I'm not interested to search on different Sites for Courses to download. Just my two Cents

• Richard likes this
I7-6700k, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, Palit GTX 1070 Super Jetstream 8GB,16 GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4-3200, Enermax Revolution87+ 850 W ATX 2.4, SSD Samsung 850 Pro, Eizo Color Graphic CS270 - 27", Win 10 Pro (64bit)

#4 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 28 October 2016 - 09:39 AM

People might not like the convenience of having to find courses in multiple places, but not everyone will want to submit their courses for the scrutiny of one particular site or have their course ranked by the public.

• Flyon likes this
life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#5 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 09:48 AM

Diversity is always welcome. And be it for the sake of choice. Or simply to avoid a MEGA link that does not work for some. A quick and dirty course depository is not a bad idea, imo.

Richard, about your 5 points...

1. See above

2. Good question. Jimbob59 should answer it - he did not use the pluralis majestatis, that's quite sure.

3. OGT does not require course rankings, but invites them - even saying "please" in one thread. I'm with jimbob59 on this one: I find any form of ranking rather annoying, for private reasons of my own.

4. I suppose you meant desginers, not developers? Yes we do need testing, but whether this is taking place on a platform or in private with a few friends is up to each one of us.

5. Okay, neat freak, we have a rather messed up separation of labour already, with OGT in the mix for course downloads and tourneys and with Steam the Awful Game Pimp in the background for more downloads and asset sharing. Oh, and with the PP social website, which... um... also does something, I don't quite remember what, only went there to get my Speedtree coupons, otherwise... I like my things in one place, too. But that's just not on offer.

So tell us more, OP. I'm happy with the job OGT does for designers, and I appreciate and deeply respect the gents of OGT who are seriously committed to this, doing a marvellous, voluntary and unpaid job for this community (This ought to be mentioned every now and then, and never taken for granted, btw). But let's see what you've got and keep an open mind - don't go all Dogga on us, with hehes and misplaced lols and cryptic fragments that leave us guessing. Build your case and make it.

6. You mention on your site that you do not intend to double-post downloads, indicating the courses will not be spread over several places and be made available either on your site or at OGT, but never on both. Did I get that right? 

• LeazesNDR, Flyon, balaceanca81 and 2 others like this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#6 olazaboll

olazaboll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 09:53 AM

I think it's up to anyone to open a site like this if they want , expecially when the OP have submitted a course of his own on this site.

OP has a nice and easy approach to this, and I don´t feel pushed to do anything if I dont want.

The site looks Nice and Neat ...also simple ... in  a good way.

I could upload my courses there in the future,  and at OGT as well.

• LeazesNDR and Flyon like this

#7 jimbob59

jimbob59

Advanced Member

• Team Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • LocationNewcastle, England

Posted 28 October 2016 - 10:08 AM

Wow didn't  mean to cause any problems

Yep there are 2 of us hence the We.  The other guy has also submitted a course.

K11 not up to me  to tell people  where they post their courses.  More than happy that those that want feedback go to OGT. No intentions of posting anything other than my own courses creations  on the site which will be few and far between.

Olazaboll sums it up nicely  - no hassles just a simple site for  people who  may want to publish/share  a course.   

No one needs to use it if they  dont want.  So I can't see a problem.

Jim

• BionicWolf, LeazesNDR and Flyon like this

#8 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 28 October 2016 - 10:21 AM

Great Idea, I'd certainly hate to miss out

on a hidden gem because of a few stars.

• LeazesNDR likes this

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#9 ArcadeHack

ArcadeHack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 28 October 2016 - 11:40 AM

Nothing wrong with having another site to get courses from. What's a user to do when OGT go's down? If done right this could be the "all in one" stop for all things JNPG course related items.
  • LeazesNDR likes this

#10 StoneComet

StoneComet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 28 October 2016 - 12:30 PM

Kudos,

It fills a void that most probably did not even know was there. A great place for a new and possibly timid designer to display their wares. OGT does a fantastic job and I'm sure they have no intention of monopolizing the market. It's always good to have some redundancy. I just do not see this as division but as a healthy and complimentary service to what OGT provides. If your seeing this as some kind of threat to the existence of JNPG or OGT you need to get over you rumpskidad (a term I borrowed from another forum from a member other than myself).

I'm glad to see someone take this up and on their own dime and with their own time.

Thank You,

SC  :)

• LeazesNDR, Flyon, jimbob59 and 1 other like this

- We would be wise to remember that extremism is the real enemy and to keep ourselves aware so as not to become extreme ourselves; otherwise the enemy wins. -

#11 johnmeyer

johnmeyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 01:24 PM

Obviously Im heavily involved in the OGT side of things, but out of interest, I see you (Domino?) have a Celtic Manor course in there for download.

Now i terms of your opening gambit, I assume this wasnt put onto OGT in order to prevent the eventual "Star" ranking system, as the main reason?

Only ask as being a publicly accessible site its still open for public scrutiny so the second factor you mention doesnt seem to apply. 

Personally I see your logic and to each their own, but from the countless hours each week many put in to check and test the courses , I do feel there are more positives than negatives for both the designer and the community as a whole in having the course on OGT than not. 

Further to that, would you therefore specifically not want this course used in any OGT tournaments, or is it just that you're not fussed either way. Only ask again as from a Sim point of view we love real courses. However for it to be used there it would need to be added to the back end of the site, links and scorecards created, versions managed etc etc, all which is done as part of the testing and release procedure.

The MEGA links issue K11 raises is an interesting one,. As I recall lots of the links used to be dropbox ones like the CM one (albeit through an orangebox for stat tracking and ranking of downloads), but due to high volume of downloads these links and accounts often became disabled hence the move to MEGA. 

Without doubt a dedicated server for this would be preferred, but then theres the costs of that to consider, so MEGA I believe was the best option available. Again personally never had a problem or issues with it.

OGT Simulator Tour Admin

#12 Mulligan

Mulligan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  • LocationVirtual Private Network

Posted 28 October 2016 - 01:27 PM

Why anyone would not want a redundant site for course downloads is beyond me. It's not a popularity contest, it's common sense. Sites go down, it's a fact of life, having an alternate is a good idea.

• BionicWolf, LeazesNDR, Flyon and 1 other like this

#13 trailblazergolf

trailblazergolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Locationflorida

Posted 28 October 2016 - 02:11 PM

UMMMMMMM !

#14 LeazesNDR

LeazesNDR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • LocationSmoggyland UK

Posted 28 October 2016 - 02:19 PM

Make really no Sense to open another Site for download Usere Courses! OGT is known by all or the most Users and Designers and should be the only Place. I'm not interested to search on different Sites for Courses to download. Just my two Cents

Speak for yourself, mate, just cos you aint interested in searching different sites, it doesn't mean other people aren't.

Nice one jimbob. I appreciate it very much (and the Celtic Manor course) thats on the site.

#15 pgadesertrat

pgadesertrat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationAvondale, AZ

Posted 28 October 2016 - 02:50 PM

Sorry but I can't help myself any longer.  You get a couple guys that open a valuable resource for course designers to utilize and then some pillock has to spew nonsense about the need for such a site.  This same user has a history of posting confrontational crap on these boards since the site opened :angry: .

Thanks for the positive contribution to the design community Jim!

• LeazesNDR and Mulligan like this

#16 Richard

Richard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBismarck, ND

Posted 28 October 2016 - 03:14 PM

Well, this 'pillock' still questions the need for another site. However, if that's what the community wants, fine with me.

Richard

Posted Image

#17 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 03:21 PM

I think the entire open nature that PP chose for the courses lends itself to hosting wherever and in as many places as a designer sees fit.

Want to submit it to OGT?  Go for it

Host yourself?  Also - sounds great!

Do both?  Start another course site with a different focus?

Fire away!  Sky's the limit.  This is the Internet at it's best (lots of choice and no restrictions)

• Flyon, mistajam and jimbob59 like this

#18 LeazesNDR

LeazesNDR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • LocationSmoggyland UK

Posted 28 October 2016 - 03:44 PM

Well, this 'pillock' still questions the need for another site. However, if that's what the community wants, fine with me.

Was wondering if "this pillock" will be visiting the new site to grab the Celtic Manor course!  :lol:

• ed dawson likes this

#19 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 28 October 2016 - 04:51 PM

IMO there can be as many course repository sites as there will be.

If designers are happy for their designs to be on just one site or multiple sites, is their call.

We the end user make our own minds up where we get them from.
  • ed dawson likes this

#20 Crusher

Crusher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 07:31 AM

IMO there can be as many course repository sites as there will be.

If designers are happy for their designs to be on just one site or multiple sites, is their call.

We the end user make our own minds up where we get them from.

And there will be...

Someone or some group will come along with a new site that has more enticing tournaments, ladders, challenge events etc.  It's inevitable. Especially when JNPG becomes the most popular golf game on the Web.

⛳                          🏌️‍♂️                             🏌️‍♀️                              ⛳

xqc8g0-2.png

🏌️‍♂️                                                       🏌️‍♀️
Userbenchmarks:
Custom Build 2019

⛳                          🏌️‍♂️                             🏌️‍♀️                              ⛳

51049423131_98884de356_w.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users