11 replies to this topic

#1 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 09:18 PM

Did the "Tropicana package" from Kab Sharing Lammo ever get posted? I have scoured the forum navigation and sense it is in a holding pattern. I am getting ready to throw my $19/month at Speedtree but thought I might learn faster with a few of those palms. I don't like the time bomb approach to building these SpeedTrees. "Gotta finish these trees before the month is up! S**t, I realized I wanted to make one more. Oh well, here's another $19 bucks..." I guess when I see Lightroom/Photoshop at 10/month, I feel like these SpeedTree fellas are fleecing us a bit. It also dampens the "build when the mood strikes" MO I have.

#2 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 11:19 PM

Well, they are fleecing people.  The great thing is all you have to do is watch a you tube video or two, spend an hour clicking on stuff to see what it does and you'll be modifying trees to your hearts content.  That's not to say the program is simple.  It's complicated as hell.  More so than any other program I've ever seen.  I still can't make a decent bush or cactus from scratch.  But, I eventually learned enough to make 10 different Oak trees for Danville Acres and the 4 trunk tree near the 18th green.  So, I figure if I can do it..... :)

• DPRoberts likes this
Win 10, i7-7700 @4.2 ghz, 16GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 1080
Swing Type: Tour Pro Wireless XBox 360 Controller.

#3 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 09:57 AM

Did the "Tropicana package" from Kab Sharing Lammo ever get posted? I have scoured the forum navigation and sense it is in a holding pattern. I am getting ready to throw my $19/month at Speedtree but thought I might learn faster with a few of those palms. I don't like the time bomb approach to building these SpeedTrees. "Gotta finish these trees before the month is up! S**t, I realized I wanted to make one more. Oh well, here's another $19 bucks..." I guess when I see Lightroom/Photoshop at 10/month, I feel like these SpeedTree fellas are fleecing us a bit. It also dampens the "build when the mood strikes" MO I have.

Don't forget to pick up your free speedtrees each month if you're a subscriber. I don't see any fleecing going on when quite easily you can make a dozen variations on a single tree in an hour plus you get to keep the ones you created whether you continue your subscription or not. Bargain of the century IMO. 

• mistajam likes this

#4 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 11:14 AM

@DPR

The Tropicana package currently rests with Mike, who will make it available to the community at a time of his choosing. Or not, if it sucks. I suspect he wants the public at large to get comfy with the default terrain before publishing new stuff. Anyway, it's out of my hands.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#5 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 11:35 AM

We're working on getting the steam workshop up and running which will make it really easy to share library sets, textures 3d models etc to everyone in the CF design community. 

• bortimus, worrybirdie and IanK like this

#6 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 12:45 PM

[quote name="Mike Jones" I don't see any fleecing going on...Bargain of the century IMO. [/quote]

Well, if I'm able to push out what I need in less than a month, I can except a designer fee of $20 bucks per course. My guess is if I have unique environments I will want to rebuild most things for each design. At my pace, that's probably only 20 bucks a year! As for the bargain of the century, you are mistaken, it's JNPG with CF! How could you forget that?

#7 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 02:03 PM

Even with Speedtree we still have a tree problem: Aesthetically, logistically, financially.

The 3 things PP needs to get rid of yesterday are Unity, Steam and Speedtree. Not a popular opinion, but it's mine even if I am cursed with a severe case of Cassandra Syndrome: Always being annoyingly right yet nobody believing that I am. Hey, no complaints: Everything else is great!

Having said that, DPR, if you want my palms, PM me your email address and I'll send you a dl link. 

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

<<<<<

#8 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 02:49 PM

The 3 things PP needs to get rid of yesterday are Unity, Steam and Speedtree

LOL, yeah, just build a brand new game from scratch.  Easy peasy.

Win 10, i7-7700 @4.2 ghz, 16GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 1080
Swing Type: Tour Pro Wireless XBox 360 Controller.

#9 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 03:38 PM

That makes be being right and you refusing what is right while hiding behind second tier concerns of cheap practicality. 

Do you really think I enjoy knowing constantly what is irrefutably best? Or being a beacon of truth in a sea of unsavoury compromises and mediocre feasibilities? Or do I perhaps relish issuing dire warnings that I know will never be heard?

Well, yeah... I actually do. And I will rub your noses in it at every turn.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

#10 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 03:49 PM

That makes be being right and you refusing what is right while hiding behind second tier concerns of cheap practicality.
Do you really think I enjoy knowing constantly what is irrefutably best? Or being a beacon of truth in a sea of unsavoury compromises and mediocre feasibilities? Or do I perhaps relish issuing dire warnings that I know will never be heard?
Well, yeah... I actually do. And I will rub your noses in it at every turn.

It would be nice to see what could be churned out if the terrain and texturing weren't limiting. I've never used it but UE4 seems to be more efficient but you know regardless you would have issues with them all. Your blessing - intelligence, is also your curse.

#11 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 10:10 PM

Even with Speedtree we still have a tree problem: Aesthetically, logistically, financially.

The 3 things PP needs to get rid of yesterday are Unity, Steam and Speedtree. Not a popular opinion, but it's mine even if I am cursed with a severe case of Cassandra Syndrome: Always being annoyingly right yet nobody believing that I am. Hey, no complaints: Everything else is great!

Some decisions are the difference between having an idea to create a golf game with a powerful course design program or just dreaming about it. 

I fought some battles at the very start of this adventure when other team members (no longer with us BTW) wanted to limit the creation of courses to PerfectParallel only and CF would have never existed. Finding solutions to difficult problems and hopefully making the right choices has been our life for the past 6 years and we're still doing it. 

Unity is the base which has allowed us to create CourseForge. As 3d engines go it's pretty robust but it's not Frostbite as used by EA. BTW where is the Course Editor for Rory Mcilroys PGA tour golf?

Speedtree get's used by pretty much all the gaming studios and BTW it's used in the Frostbite engine (see above) It's what you make of it. Don't like the stock trees? create some better ones. What's more they were even kind enough to see CF's potential and to gift all the people using a bunch of great looking trees. 

Steam - it's a game deliver platform. The reality for PC games studios is if you're not on steam - you don't exist.

It's very easy to sit back and hypothesize about how things should be done differently but the choices we have made, allow us to keep updating the game and allow everyone to participate in the course designing community if they want to. Other's are happy just to play the great courses made by the designers who love using CF but everyone benefits this way.

There are many things on our roadmap moving forwards and I'm pretty excited about them too  :)

• cajuncapgun, Crow357, Keith and 8 others like this

#12 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 30 October 2016 - 11:01 PM

BTW where is the Course Editor for Rory Mcilroys PGA tour golf?

A question that was asked of JNPG quite often, until recently, lol.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

• JBrown247 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users