Photo

Trap with grass hill inside

Best Answer Mike Jones , 06 November 2016 - 05:27 PM

You can just draw a semi rough shape inside the bunker as a starting point.  

Just make sure the semi rough layer's blend settings in the layers library are set to something like .16 so as to avoid mesh creation errors on small shapes.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 QBL_MrCobra

QBL_MrCobra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 09:29 PM

Hi,

Is it possible to do those trap like in the picture. I'm doing Oakmont and they have a couple of those.

Attached File  Oakmont_0.jpg   53.49KB   0 downloads

#2 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 04 November 2016 - 10:05 PM

QBL,

Yes, that is possible to have terrain inside the bunker. PP have done this on Florida Glades

pyIPQFu.png

#3 Armand

Armand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 05 November 2016 - 12:47 AM

I think it would do you well to review the mesh cut-away tutorial:

http://www.perfectpa...rials/?p=112805

#4 dlocke1962

dlocke1962

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 12:10 PM

I tried the mesh cut away tool... it works in fairway but not in bunker. I would also like to know how to do this

#5 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 12:31 PM

Cutaway will probably not help.

You would need an additional mesh for a bunker island. Basically, this should be a reverse or positive bunker that has the same blend and depth settings, with all the negative depth values set to positive, with the same dirt lip but with a rough mesh instead of a sand mesh. It's like turning a glove inside out.

Yes, it can be done.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#6 QBL_MrCobra

QBL_MrCobra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 02:45 PM

Thank K11,

But it look easy for you, but for me I'm not sure to understand. Do you think there is a tutorial for it? than will be great.

#7 StoneComet

StoneComet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 05 November 2016 - 03:48 PM

Cutaway will probably not help.

You would need an additional mesh for a bunker island. Basically, this should be a reverse or positive bunker that has the same blend and depth settings, with all the negative depth values set to positive, with the same dirt lip but with a rough mesh instead of a sand mesh. It's like turning a glove inside out.

Yes, it can be done.

Hi K11,

Are you saying the sand in the glades picture is actually a rough mesh that has bunker attributes (coloring, lip and the positive values you mention) and then you cut out the actual rough into the faux bunker mesh? I'm interested because eventually I will want to create those types of bunkers.

Thanks,

SC  :)

- We would be wise to remember that extremism is the real enemy and to keep ourselves aware so as not to become extreme ourselves; otherwise the enemy wins. -

#8 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 04:11 PM

More or less, yes. I would not name this additional mesh anything called "bunker", because this would cause the terrain underneath it to be lowered, whereas anything "not called bunker" would bring the terrain back up and make planting on top easier.

I would suggest that you clone your rough mesh for this, then add the dirt lip auxiliary mesh into the fringe section. Next, copy ALL your bunker settings into the right column, all the width and depth values - but everywhere you have a minus depth value, change it into a positive one. This will raise the edges and blends of the rough island up and match the outer edge of your surrounding bunker exactly, while it will be capped with the same rough material as outside.

The use of this special layer is exclusively restricted for drawing inside bunkers. Comes out even more if you terrain-sculpt a bit of a hump underneath it.

Draw, calculate, enjoy.

• mistajam and StoneComet like this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#9 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 05:27 PM   Best Answer

You can just draw a semi rough shape inside the bunker as a starting point.  

Just make sure the semi rough layer's blend settings in the layers library are set to something like .16 so as to avoid mesh creation errors on small shapes.

#10 Brucey Mc

Brucey Mc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationTeesside, UK #UTB

Posted 06 November 2016 - 07:07 PM

Mike, any way of doing this in a pot bunker?  I have a certain doughnut bunker I'm trying to recreate!

#11 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 08:51 PM

Mike, any way of doing this in a pot bunker?  I have a certain doughnut bunker I'm trying to recreate!

Same thing really, just draw your island shape inside the bunker.

#12 QBL_MrCobra

QBL_MrCobra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 10:18 PM

Hi Mike,

The layer's blend settings, is it in the third colum where we see Blend with width and depth? So we put 0.16 in the width.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users