#1 Armand

Armand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 09 November 2016 - 04:26 AM

Can someone explain a bit how the .description file is generated by Unity/CF?  Does the .description file get re-written each time the course is "compiled" in CF?

The reason I ask is that I have written a macro to read the *.description file when I add courses to my Excel sheet.  Its contents allow me to automatically determine the par and index on each of the 18 holes on the course, and it saves me time from loading the course just to retrieve this information.  For 89 of the 90 courses I have, the *.description file is read without issue and results in accurate information.  However, the one course where it doesn't retrieve the correct information is puzzling to me.

Could this be caused by switching the order holes or switching the par values of the holes?  I'm just trying to understand why one of the 90 courses doesn't behave as expected with my macro, yet the other 89 work flawlessly.

#2 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 09:14 AM

Perhaps your problem file is an older course which has a slightly different file format. The description file does get overwritten each course build but I don't see how that would affect your issue.

#3 johnmeyer

johnmeyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 10:44 AM

I too have a tool which I use to make the OGT scoredcards, check pins and tees etc etc using the. description. 

Which course is giving you problems and Ill run mine on it and see if if flags anything 

OGT Simulator Tour Admin

#4 Armand

Armand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 09 November 2016 - 01:55 PM

Not that I wish to point out a 'flaw' with the course, because I don't at all feel it's a flaw.  I admit that it's quite possible my macro may not be able to deal with all possibilities.  I'm going to revisit the *.description file with my macro and see if I can figure out what is going on.  Thanks for the responses.

#5 Armand

Armand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 10 November 2016 - 06:21 AM

Thanks John for the confirmation via PM.  Upon revisiting my macro, it was reading the "Challenge" tee pars for some of the holes, which threw off my tracking spreadsheet. 

I'm not sure why only this one course caused an issue because other courses have "Challenge" tees but they all seem to behave correctly.  Nonetheless, I've updated my macro so it only reads the values from the furthest tee; I recognize I may run into issues if a hole is Par 4 for men and Par 5 for women, but I think I'll just overlook that issue if it ever arises!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users