#1 drillerman

drillerman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 09:04 PM

Hi guys,

Don't know if anyone else has had this problem but when I press the build button CF is not generating a unity3D file. It only generates a description file and the JPG. I have debugged.

Help! :(

#2 garynorman

garynorman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • LocationBedfordshire, England

Posted 09 November 2016 - 09:13 PM   Best Answer

Easyroads installed?

#3 drillerman

drillerman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 09:43 PM

Yes Gary.

Ok. Just found the problem. I had easyroads3D (thanks Gary) in the project folder and it didn't like it. However, My splines are now just white lines. When I click on the splines button nothing happens and I get this error. Should I just re-install Unity and CF???

B*****KS! I'm half way through a course, don't wanna lose anything!!!!!!!RwW4ykt.png

#4 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 12:00 AM

Try reloading your saved layers library?

Win 10, i7-7700 @4.2 ghz, 16GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 1080
Swing Type: Tour Pro Wireless XBox 360 Controller.

#5 drillerman

drillerman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 05:58 AM

@Crow357, thanks for the reply, will give it a try tonight. Where will I find it and how do I reload it?
Regards

#6 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 06:22 AM

I guess you haven't used the layers library yet then?  It's one of the buttons on the left hand side.  If you haven't used it, reloading isn't going to help probably.  Maybe Mike knows how to fix that error.  I only thought of it because several lines in that error mention spline and layer.  Do not despair, Mike knows all.  :)

#7 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 08:09 AM

Hopefully you have been saving your scene 'save as' and then renaming it each time as recommended. This way if you have  scene specific problem you can always roll back to the previous one and at most lose an hour's work or so. If not you should certainly do this in the future.

#8 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 08:14 AM

Should I just re-install Unity and CF???

This would not be a good idea as invariably you would overwrite some important things you have done such as changes to your terrain. In all the years I have been using CF reinstalling never helped unless I guess you had accidentally deleted something in your CourseForge folder.

Like the guys said you need to make sure that you have a library loaded (There are tutorials about the layers library) and then you can see what happens to the splines and if they remain white. If they do you can always just go round your course and select each spline in turn and change it's layer type to the correct one at the top of the page in CF (look in the drawing shapes tutorials) It might take an hour or so but better than wasting a half finished course.

When using any course design program or in fact any creative software in general, the rule of thumb is backup, backup, backup. There is a tutorial on saving the scene and terrain in the tutorials.

#9 drillerman

drillerman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 09:07 AM

Hi Mike, I have been saving regularly but overwriting the same file. I can load the scene file and the terrain file but the splines are white and when I press the splines button nothing happens:(

#10 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 09:16 AM

Can you post a screenshot of your layers library?

#11 drillerman

drillerman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 09:41 AM

@crow357.
When I get home I certainly wiil but I'm at work and won't be home for another 9 hours.
Thanks for your time

#12 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 10:59 AM

Hi Mike, I have been saving regularly but overwriting the same file. I can load the scene file and the terrain file but the splines are white and when I press the splines button nothing happens:(

Yeah overwriting the same file really is not backing up as if you have a saving problem your course will be lost. This is the same with any software, eventually it will bite you. Always use the 'save as' function and perhaps delete the older scenes so you have 4 or 5 backups at any one time.

#13 StoneComet

StoneComet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 10 November 2016 - 01:30 PM

When I used EasyRoads3D (free) it recalculated the terrain height for elevation and geo locations setting them all back to default. After that i removed it as it was a concern that it recalculates the terrain. I'm going to most likely just use a texture painted on for roads or cart paths until a tutorial on the proper use of EasyRoads3D is given.

SC  :)

- We would be wise to remember that extremism is the real enemy and to keep ourselves aware so as not to become extreme ourselves; otherwise the enemy wins. -

#14 drillerman

drillerman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 01:36 PM

Thanks for the input Mike. The problem started unbeknownst to me when I loaded in "easyroads3D" from the Unity store. It was only after a couple of hours creating when I came to generate a new course file the problems started. It would not generate a unity3D file (the big one) until I deleted "easyroads3D". By that point it sounds like I was already on the rocky road to ruin!!!!

I will see if I can salvage anything tonight otherwise I shall insert a rather nice corsair keyboard through the screen and buy a PS4!

I do still have the scene file and the terrain file.

Mike, exactly what files need to be saved/backed up each time??? I just save the scene file (about 7.5mb) and the terrain file (about 77mb)

Thanks for listening.

:(

#15 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 04:03 PM

Mike, exactly what files need to be saved/backed up each time??? I just save the scene file (about 7.5mb) and the terrain file (about 77mb)

Thanks for listening.

:(

As mentioned before overwriting the files is not a good way to backup as you still lose stuff. The video tutorial on saving tells you what you need to backup, watch it again if possible.

#16 olazaboll

olazaboll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 07:54 PM

Mike

As I recall it , renaming the scene file is there in the tutorial , but the tutorial says to overwrite when backing up the terrain file ... maybe I missunderstood it  ??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users