#1 nstone73

nstone73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationDenver CO

Posted 12 November 2016 - 03:42 PM

Half way through my first course....fictional course set in Northumberland, called "The Cheviot G.C.".

This is a pic from behind the 9th green (par 5...tee to the right of screen, water waiting for a hook). Pretty happy with CF so far....I don't think I ever strung 9 playable holes together in APCD. I removed all the trees, so have just planted areas around the holes....have the "dead areas" to replant at the end.

Any tips for getting good screen grabs? This was just a fluke really, just hit print screen when my approach went over the green during play testing.

Cheers,

Neil

73533b5627.jpg

#2 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 12 November 2016 - 04:17 PM

Looking good, Ctrl+Alt+U removes UI, F5 to fly around using A,S,W,D keys.

• nstone73 likes this

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#3 nstone73

nstone73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationDenver CO

Posted 12 November 2016 - 07:14 PM

10th Green....looking back towards the tee. A long, downhill par 3...can play 170-260 yards.768fd942cd.jpg

• erwildcat and sandybunker like this

#4 nstone73

nstone73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationDenver CO

Posted 13 November 2016 - 02:33 AM

12th Green....uphill par 4. I'll thin the trees out on the hill later (was experimenting with brush size and tree density as its an area that doesn't really come into play).

Was quite pleased how my fairway cutout turned out

7cf8c4233c.jpg

• Armand likes this

#5 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 03:38 PM

This is looking promising. Looking forward to seeing it progress

#6 nstone73

nstone73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationDenver CO

Posted 14 November 2016 - 12:31 AM

13th green (14th tee top left)...par 5

9052035837.jpg

#7 nstone73

nstone73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationDenver CO

Posted 14 November 2016 - 12:34 AM

...and from the 14th Championship tee....par 4 (slight dogleg to the left)

90574a3825.jpg

• LeazesNDR likes this

#8 luetze

luetze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 November 2016 - 07:58 AM

Like it a lot. Looks very natural. Keep up the good work!

#9 ed dawson

ed dawson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 02:41 PM

Looking great - although the weather shown isn't reflective of what we are getting at the moment. Still the whole thing feels naturally located.  Looking forward to seeing it finished ;) .

#10 nstone73

nstone73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationDenver CO

Posted 16 November 2016 - 02:29 AM

Another beautiful day in the North...16th green (short par 4, 5 wood to the top of the hill and downhill to the green)

bc3b215656.jpg

#11 nstone73

nstone73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationDenver CO

Posted 16 November 2016 - 02:34 AM

I found a low poly dry stone wall on 3dwarehouse.sketchup.com and used it to define an out of bounds close to the 16th green. However, it doesn't seem to have any colliders associated with it....the ball just goes through it. If you look at the object in Unity it just has the transform information. How do I add a component so a golf ball would rebound off it? (I know that's not a CF question...but you lot are a bunch of clever so and so's....if I don't hear anything I'll have to revert to Google).

bc4e83767b.jpg

#12 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 04:45 AM

If you select your wall in your Project tab, go to the Inspector tab and there should be some Import settings. Choose the model tab and there is a checkbox for something like "Generate Colliders". Check the box and choose "Apply". Then, compile a course build and go bash a ball into the wall a few times and see if it worked.
  • nstone73 likes this

#13 nstone73

nstone73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationDenver CO

Posted 16 November 2016 - 03:54 PM

Thanks....that seemed to partially work, but I think it's an issue with the wall object (having holes in it) as opposed to generating the colliders. I could still blast the ball through the wall.

So my "hack"....I've placed a spline bridge on its side inside (just behind) the wall which certainly deflects the ball back into play (if a little uniformly). I guess it will sound wrong when it bounces back (have my machine on mute), but since this is my first CF course, I'll leave there for now. 

On a side note, I think the spline bridge that comes with CF placed on it's slide looks like a pretty cool fence.

#14 nstone73

nstone73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationDenver CO

Posted 16 November 2016 - 04:43 PM

Ha....perhaps not (resisting the use of smiley emoticon). During testing of bouncing the ball back off the "wall" gave me this. My solution will be to place the OOB spline just inside the wall....so attempt the rebound at your peril....sometimes it works. Or, perhaps I'm being a little ambitious with my first project....might just replace the wall with the fence from post #7 and keep the OOB under the fence.

c8b1ed43d4.jpg

#15 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 05:45 PM

You not only need to generate a collider, you then also have to attach a "physics material" to that collider, so that the game then knows how the ball should react on that surface.

Starting from your prefab, as DPR states, add a mesh collider to it. Then place it into your scene - in your hierarchy you will get a blue folder with the same name as the prefab. Inside it is the first instance of your wall - it's called g0 by default, you can and should rename it to something a bit more practical. Click on that g0 instance to bring it up in the Inspector. In there, a new setting has appeared for the collider material. Click on the little dot at the far right to bring up the available selection of CF physics materials. Double-click on "concrete" to load it. 

Now your collisions should work. On that one wall unit, that is. Try to mass select all the other wall units and add concrete to them. Only duplicate instances, not the prefab folder, to add more.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#16 nstone73

nstone73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationDenver CO

Posted 16 November 2016 - 05:51 PM

Cheers....I'll give that a whirl. I think I'll get 17 & 18 completed first, then I'll have my first fully playable course. Then I'll start to mess around with additional stuff. While I've had zero issues with Unity/CF so far (should I have really typed that), I've seen other people posting issues...so don't want to tempt fate getting too far ahead of myself.

#17 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 06:14 PM

If your walls all use the same basic prefab, adding a collider to the prefab will set the colliders for all of them in the scene.

#18 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 16 November 2016 - 08:55 PM

That wall looks like it has a lot of faces. For a simple structure like that I would use a box collider rather than a mesh collider as it will be more frame-rate friendly. Especially if the wall is going to be used a lot on the course.

• nstone73 likes this
life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#19 nstone73

nstone73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationDenver CO

Posted 16 November 2016 - 08:58 PM

Thanks Acrillix....I was just posting something when you replied, about the wall being made up of many "rocks"...so wasn't sure how I could choose the correct mesh for my wall. I see the box collider option...will try that later.....cheers!

#20 nstone73

nstone73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationDenver CO

Posted 16 November 2016 - 09:19 PM

The wall I have is made up of many sections. I guess I could create the box collider on one section that covers all of the wall (and another on another section of wall which is at 90 degrees).

Would get a bit weird if I removed a section, since it would still rebound....but if I don't do something like that, I should be ok?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users