68 replies to this topic

#61 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 10:06 AM

Neal, for a green that has chest hairs and goes kaboom on your mind, here is the exact recipe developed by our Blammocorp! Super Secret Paranormal Turf Research Test Lab - supervised as always by our excellent Dr. Pat McRotch. 

NQMfos1.jpg

Texture 1: Any old colour texture with or without mow lines. Though mow lines are generally helpful to make slopes more visible.

Texture 2: Detail map, same as posted further above in post 22

Normal 1: copy of Texture 2, reduced in size to 1024, posterised to 8 colours, 0.4 Gaussian Blur, set to normal map @ blurriness 0.5

Normal 2: Run-of-the-mill grunge normal dedicated to destroying visual repetitiveness.

Re: Green Fringes: I see very little need to use them at all - the transitions are always messy and they do look a bit dodgy and ill-placed even on the best of days. Same goes for fairway fringes. If you want to use them, never make them too dark compared to the adjoining meshes, on account of a real danger of immersion-stopping visual awfulness. Blammocorp has discontinued any R&D on fringes one and half years ago. 

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#62 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 23 November 2016 - 10:26 AM

I like that K11, and will give it the 'ol school try.

I have been attempting to use the green fringe

but I'm not liking it. 

I appreciate the time you guys have taken to

give me and hopefully others something to Cheer about.

bx24hsC.jpg

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#63 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 11:06 AM

Um...

Might well be that in your image the values of Normal 2 are inverted: Tiling it at 0.06 aka 6 centimeter can't be right, so did you perchance put 1 were you meant 0.06 and 006 where it says 1? This would explain why your fringe is suspiciously mow pattern free, at least.

It happens to me quite often, too, that I confuse these two things. So much so, that whenever the outcome of my mesh calculations is too far off my expectations, this is the first place I look at nowadays.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

<<<<<

#64 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 12:18 PM

For the lively green, using "DPRCross_NRM", which it appears that you are trying for, set tiling number to around 85 and strength to 0.2 and modify to your liking. Remember, when testing, if you have flattish greens, the result will not look as nice. K11s suggestions will look nice with and without grading. But may not show the green breaks dynamically.

K11 are you getting the Dynamic green grid reading action with your settings? Would obviously be nicer if you are so as to not waste the normal panel as I'm suggesting.

#65 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 05:30 PM

Nope, I don't. Then again the subtle changes of the light with the added amount of pixel diversity seem to make green reading a bit easier, because there is definitely something minute happening in there while on the move  - but that would only be a relevant factor for me IF, big IF, I could be bothered to conduct a F5 survey of my putts. For me as a player, that is a bridge too far - and as a designer I choose not to cater to this ultra-purist approach to computer golf. I don't mind if this happens as a side effect, I simply won't go out of my way to hunt this particular feature down.

The declared goal behind my alternative is to somehow reach a 2.5 D effect on a 2D surface, trying to make short grass a little less flat to the eye by employing a process that enables single grass blade specularity. 

• DPRoberts likes this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

#66 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 23 November 2016 - 06:38 PM

Swoooosh..You guys are doing fly-bys way over my

head, but you have sparked renewed interest in

the CFL; I haven't drawn a spline in days. One

could spend weeks tweaking and finagling textures,

shaders and normals. I'm exiting the CFL for now to

give my retinas a rest and dust off my Pom-Poms and 

write a new Cheer.

How's this for Spirit...

Watermelon!, watermelon!, 

watermelon rind!,

Look on the scorecard and see what you find,

K11 and DP leading the line,

NoPutt, NoPutt, way back behind!

GO TEAM!!

6GaXT8c.jpg

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#67 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 25 November 2016 - 10:13 AM

Gimmie a C, Gimmie an F, Gimmie an L...

... enough cheering, I've moved up to Waterboy

and Mama says, " the CFL is the DEBIL".

Still some tweaks to go; but getting there hopefully.

ZqYv1Jg.jpg

• Kablammo11, highfade and DPRoberts like this

#68 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 12:58 PM

Sorry to have sidetracked you from the other aspects of course building but you're making such good progress. At this rate, if you continue to work real hard and maintain that positive attitude, I'm certain Coach Jones may notice and put you in for a few plays at the end of a game should the team have a comfortable lead. All that turkey must've done wonders for the brain cells.

#69 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 25 November 2016 - 03:47 PM

"Who was that masked man"?

The pairing of the tryptophan in the turkey,

along with the beaujolais nouveau allowed

me to slip into a semi-conscious state of

CFL zen.

" Put me in Coach, I'm ready to Play".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users