#1 Skunky

Skunky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Locationmarble falls tx

Posted 20 November 2016 - 11:16 PM

my question is this,im using heightmap with overlay and have my terrian set exactly the same as the cf tutorial terrian,the verts in my terrian  are larger than the cf terrian, this makes the terrian hard to get fine detail.is there a way to  make the verts smaller in my terrian.like i said i have every setting the same at least i think i do.

the cf terrian is very easy to work with,. its very hard to make a bunker look good with my terrian.even when i set the tool size to 1 its to big.

when i turn on wireframe it all looks good .

are you suppose to assign a physic material to the terrian collider, or leave it as none.

am i missing a setting here?

the verts in the 3rd picture are the  working size.

http://imgur.com/a/ER8Rc

by the way the course looks and plays fine. its shadow creek  las vegas. just cant finish it like i would like too with this limitation.

http://imgur.com/a/IGox1

http://imgur.com/a/CPXRj

shadowcreek: tpc avenel:tpc san antonio:valhalla:quail hollow:trump coltsneck:hudson valley:ferry point:bedminster old and new course

Pasatiempo:Kingswood:Carnoustie:Augusta:SandHollow:TPC Summerlin

#2 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 11:45 PM

As the tutorials currently stand, you are a bit in choose your own adventure territory. I suspect your overlay image needs to be properly scaled. If you are working on a known course, in Unity, use the CF ruler to measure the distance from some known points and see how far you are off. You can use Google maps to measure on satellite images. I even like to measure things like from hole 1 tee to green of hole 4 to green of 2 and back to 1 tee. DPR backwoods triangulation technique. If you can write down all your measurements and figure out the percentage you are off by, then you can properly scale the overlay outside of Unity in photo editing program of choice. Hoping you are good on the Algebra but I can add my two cents if you get stuck.

#3 Jimbobh

Jimbobh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 21 November 2016 - 02:10 AM

To make your brush smaller, You would need to change the resolution settings under the terrain settings, but it will clear your terrain and splatmaps.

Gigabyte ga-z68x-ud3h-b3 Motherboard

Intel Core i5-2400 CPU@3.1GHz 3.70GHz

GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
16GB Ram   (2)G.Skill Ripjaws F3-10666L9S-8GBXL
Windows 7 Home Premium

#4 magginoodles

magginoodles

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 03:26 AM

my question is this,im using heightmap with overlay and have my terrian set exactly the same as the cf tutorial terrian,the verts in my terrian  are larger than the cf terrian, this makes the terrian hard to get fine detail.is there a way to  make the verts smaller in my terrian.like i said i have every setting the same at least i think i do.

the cf terrian is very easy to work with,. its very hard to make a bunker look good with my terrian.even when i set the tool size to 1 its to big.

are you suppose to assign a physic material to the terrian collider, or leave it as none.

by the way the course looks and plays fine. its shadow creek  las vegas. just cant finish it like i would like too with this limitation.

The one area that I'm really frustrated about is the lack of ability to have decent sculpting for bunkers, finer shapes on the terrain directly. I guess its a unity thing with the massive size of verts, mismatched squares compared to the CF shapes, meshes. Don't get me wrong, some bunkers look pretty good, but the norm for me is these ugly holes in the ground that look nothing like bunkers I've played in.

CF is a great tool for what it is, and I expect that with more experience and techniques I'll hopefully get better

What I am interested in is a detailed tutorial for any of the layers tricks or detailed tutorial on how to really create a detailed bunker. When things die down hopefully that can be produced to help the community :)

#5 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 10:53 AM

The one area that I'm really frustrated about is the lack of ability to have decent sculpting for bunkers, finer shapes on the terrain directly. I guess its a unity thing with the massive size of verts, mismatched squares compared to the CF shapes, meshes. Don't get me wrong, some bunkers look pretty good, but the norm for me is these ugly holes in the ground that look nothing like bunkers I've played in.

CF is a great tool for what it is, and I expect that with more experience and techniques I'll hopefully get better

What I am interested in is a detailed tutorial for any of the layers tricks or detailed tutorial on how to really create a detailed bunker. When things die down hopefully that can be produced to help the community :)

I will continue to produce tutorials but I'm also hoping (just like a few people have done already) is that the best designers in the community will do a few tutorials of their own. I have no doubt that the best people in the CF designer community will eventually take PG course design to a level as yet unseen. 

#6 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 10:57 AM

How large is your plot and what is the terrain resolution set to? The normal resolution is around 1 meter per vert on a standard resolution terrain however if you're using a large plot, the resolution will scale to cover the entire plot so for example if your terrain is 4km by 4km your resolution will effectively be halved. 

Post some details in regard to your terrain size and values in the inspector and I will do my best to help you. We already have some cool terrain tools created by Shimonko in a pinned topic.

#7 magginoodles

magginoodles

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 11:45 AM

I will continue to produce tutorials but I'm also hoping (just like a few people have done already) is that the best designers in the community will do a few tutorials of their own. I have no doubt that the best people in the CF designer community will eventually take PG course design to a level as yet unseen. 

Very fair comment and definitely hope if I ever learn anything I can be of some help too!  Don't expect you guys (PG) to do everything hehehe

#8 Skunky

Skunky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 03:32 PM

http://imgur.com/a/4Tjru

mike ,heres the settings, the resolution is low but this heightmap wouldent let me set it any higher.

i am also working on another heightmap that is 2048x2048  ,same problem with the verts.

shadowcreek: tpc avenel:tpc san antonio:valhalla:quail hollow:trump coltsneck:hudson valley:ferry point:bedminster old and new course

#9 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 04:10 PM   Best Answer

Your resolution numbers are too low.  Here's mine from a current project:

Capture_zpsdtwi4h01.jpg

Win 10, i7-7700 @4.2 ghz, 16GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 1080
Swing Type: Tour Pro Wireless XBox 360 Controller.

#10 Skunky

Skunky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 04:57 PM

crow the current project i  have been working on has the settings exactly like yours ,but am still having the same problem.

i will say this about the shadow creek project, and i dont know if this has anything to do with the low resolution settings, but this course runs fantastic between 50 and 60 fps with all settings maxed out.

and i have a pretty dated computer.

#11 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 07:38 PM

crow the current project i  have been working on has the settings exactly like yours ,but am still having the same problem.

i will say this about the shadow creek project, and i dont know if this has anything to do with the low resolution settings, but this course runs fantastic between 50 and 60 fps with all settings maxed out.

and i have a pretty dated computer.

If you are using the settings that Crow posted you won't have the same problem on a normal size plot. Your original issue is that your heightmap was 512 on a plot size of 1972m x 1972m which means roughly one vert per 4 meters which is no good for making realistic courses in CF as your elevation detailing with be insufficient.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users