33 replies to this topic

#1 olazaboll

olazaboll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 01:48 PM

For my first project I try to stay as much as I can according to the book to learn as much as I can about Unity and CF. Anyway I see others using 3rd party object , even though not " cheerfully" adviced by MJ. Seems toose courses works fine anyway ... So ...I ve decided that I like to try a few of thoose for my project... 2 or 3 houses and maybe a stone wall.

Now I have a few questions regarding this:

1/ At the Unity asset store its cleary marked what goes with what unity version. If I use sketchup instead, how to I know if they work with 5.2.3 or not ? I don't see any info on what unity verrsion the object should work for.

2/ About Sketchup, DogGz (..thank you ) adviced that using sub 1000 poly objects is to prefer ... Now can someone explain how that works ... does it matter if I use for example 3 houses that each are at 950 Poly instead a 3 house block ( one object ) at lets say 2200 ? 

3/ Do I use the same kind of thinking when I import the 3d objects as I do when I import Speed Trees ?
Do I manually need to set colliders and such ...other advices are welcome 

Thank You 

Ola

#2 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 02:05 PM

1 - 3D objects are not version dependent. Sketchup objects will work fine. There are some proprietary object formats that will not work with Unity, but sketchup models are okay.

2 - Simple math applies. As long as you are in a low-poly context - and you are - go for what looks best. 1K polys isn't a big deal.

3 - Upon import of every object, you need to set up its textures and maps in the Inspector, perhaps refine the Material that these textures and maps is made out of, tick on "Generate Mesh Collider" and add a physics material.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#3 olazaboll

olazaboll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 04:42 PM

Thank You K11 :)

#4 olazaboll

olazaboll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 04:48 PM

...ehh ... & one more thing ...when You d/l skechup models I get the option to choose "Model 8" , "2013","2014"and "2015"

Wich one to choose and what are the differences ?

#5 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 04:57 PM

Somebody else will have to field that one, I'm afraid. I never download any sketchup models, all of mine are self-made. 

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#6 jimbob59

jimbob59

Advanced Member

• Team Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • LocationNewcastle, England

Posted 26 November 2016 - 05:35 PM

Hi Olazabol

Bit of a minefield I'm afraid

Saving a file as a sketchup model won't work you need to EXPORT the model to an FBX file which is what unity likes.  Once in your project you can resize,  move, rotate the object etc

This should help  http://jpirker.com/s...hup-to-unity3d/

This will  export the model and all the materials/textures,  as the tutorial says load the fbx file into unity  assets folder

HOWEVER the free sketchup version  doesn't include the  fbx export converter  you need the PRO version.

You could use the 30 day free PRO trial and export anything you  think may be useful in the future.

Maybe there are  free converters out there somewhere, havn't got into it that much

When looking at other 3d model sites  try to get FBX files, makes life much easier

Hope that's helpful

Jim

#7 olazaboll

olazaboll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 05:48 PM

Thx Again :)

#8 mistajam

mistajam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationMunich

Posted 26 November 2016 - 06:15 PM

Sorry jimbob59, don't want to interfere with what you say .... but i've imported several .skp (Sketchup Files) directly by dragging them into my Project Folder without any problem   ;)

#9 johnmeyer

johnmeyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 06:20 PM

For info as I understood it, .skp didnt work, .dae (you can export model to .dae in the free version) does work, and the preffered method was to export to .dae, then use autodesk fbx convertor (also free) to convert the .dae into a .fbx, and then add that into unity.

Interesting that youve found that .skp works, most references said they didnt, but you experience and also this article seems to agree otherwise.

Be interesting to see of there are any tri/poly count differences, as I did find the tri count dropped when comparing a .dae model inunity as opposed to a .fbx version of the same model.

OGT Simulator Tour Admin

#10 mistajam

mistajam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationMunich

Posted 26 November 2016 - 06:43 PM

Just as an example i've imported this house --> https://3dwarehouse....c6c07cec6934c5 

and this fountain --> https://3dwarehouse....a7600637a4819cf

in .skp format without any problem

Of the maybe 15 things i imported as .skp there where only two that didn't work finally, i just deleted them from my project folder and forget about them in the end.

Just try it ... with the links you will see that it works ;)

Downloaded all of them as SketchUp 2015 Model .... 

• jimbob59 likes this

#11 jimbob59

jimbob59

Advanced Member

• Team Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • LocationNewcastle, England

Posted 27 November 2016 - 09:04 AM

Olazabol  sincere apologies seems I was talking out of my   Derriere ( again)  Please ignore my original post.   Misterjam is perfectly correct that  sketchup files  do work in Unity.

I tried several models of various sizes and polygons and all but 1  worked perfectly

In Sketchup get rid of the human figure ( I  deleted him with the eraser tool)

Import your model from the Sketchup warehouse

Save As a 2015 sketchup file as Misterjam stated

Copy the saved folder into your projects asset folder

After its loaded  you will find it in the Favourites  -  Models area

Simply drag and drop into your scene.

Assign a physics collider material and you are good to go

Model can be moved, resized and rotated.

Misterjam  your a star, a much simpler way of importing models  and neatly contained in the one folder.  Many thanks for the info

Johnmeyer  give it a go.  A very simple  and quick way of importing 3D models 

Jim

#12 olazaboll

olazaboll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 10:38 AM

@ jimbob59 : When something goes from good to great ...it doesnt matter  :)

#13 mistajam

mistajam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationMunich

Posted 27 November 2016 - 12:32 PM

Well, i'm happy that i could help with what i found out .... i came across this simply by trial and error ... the fact that in course creation i have to consider, know and learn so many new things (or old things again) ... l thought i just give it a try ...

Besides Course Design, strategy, textures, CF, and learning speedtree and how to do things in Unity .... creating my own 3D Objects was just not contained in my timeframe (this is just a hobby and i got a 10h job daily) ... i would love do create everything from scratch but i simply don't have the time atm ;)  .... and i work hard on getting my first course ready 

One can simply get lost in the process of creating a course with all that to consider ;) that would be a bummer ;) :)

#14 johnmeyer

johnmeyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 01:26 PM

Weirdly when just saving it didnt work, but when saving as 2015 sketchup format worked great. Som other interesting issues I found.

Model was made by Doormatt, and is a house/bungalow model listed as 2292 polys. 

modelinsketchup.jpg

I then saved that model as a 2015.skp, and also exported as a dae, and also then converted that dae using Autodesk to an .fbx.

To get the .dae and .fbx I made the textures folders etc as advised etc etc

Now I then placed all 3 models in separate folders into my unity project, and then added them to my scene. 

Ive found that is you add the LOD Group Component to a model, and then drag the model into the LOD 0 Renderer area you can see the tris, Renderers and materials for that model.

This ended up giving the following.

.skp version

19 Renderers, 8473 Tris, 9 materials

skpmodelstats.jpg

.dae version (ignore the fact model isnt shoing in inspector, it showed in scen not sure why it didnt show when took pic)

193 Renderers, 11473 Tris, 9 materials

daemodelstats.jpg

.fbx version

193 Renderers, 11473 Tris, 9 materials

fbxmodelstats.jpg

So it seems not only is the 2015.skp method the easiest, its also the best in terms of renderer usage and tris.

Great find mistajam

• mistajam likes this

OGT Simulator Tour Admin

#15 clubcaptain

clubcaptain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 06:23 PM

I downloaded a Bandon clubhouse from sketchup, imported it as an asset then dragged it into my scene. Seems to have worked fine or is there a ticking time bomb I haven't heard ?

PC specs...

Intel core I7 9700k 3.6 GHZ-Turbo 4.9 GHZ
64 GB Corsair vengeance  LPX DDR4 2400 MHZ
Asus PRIME Z390-P 
Nvidea GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
X box 360 wired controller
Windows 10 PRO NA 64 bit

#16 mistajam

mistajam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationMunich

Posted 27 November 2016 - 06:40 PM

So it seems not only is the 2015.skp method the easiest, its also the best in terms of renderer usage and tris.

Great find mistajam

Nice John, thanks ... i'm happy that i could contribute something useful for everybody :)

#17 olazaboll

olazaboll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 07:04 PM

First  of all I want to thank all the kind people helping out in this thread and in others ... Please note that I know and understand just about nothing regarding 3D objects ... I succesfully imported a stone wall , it worked exactly as the fence planting decribed in MJ´s tutorial.

When I imported the small castle there was a total other ballgame ... getting all confused with the square underneat the castle, the blue lines covering it ,  etc etc ... If just someone could direct me to a good tutorial so I could learn and understand the basics I need .... preferable a youtube clip or such ... 

Here is the Castle I imported ...:

https://3dwarehouse....c5e7c035295597b

and two progress pics... 

c7ebedabdb.jpg

c7ee66d35e.jpg

#18 uvmnick

uvmnick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 08:30 PM

Regarding the sqaure plot that the castle sits on - you can simply raise the terrain to cover it. 

Regarding the blue lines on it - on a basic level that just indicates that you can manipulate the object, kinda like when you use water, rock, bridge prefab. Use the icons on along the top left to move, rotate, enlarge, etc.

#19 johnmeyer

johnmeyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 08:34 PM

I slighted edited your model in sketchup to remove the geolocation layer (the square), removed the rocks and had a tidy up etc just to leave you the "castle" model on its own.

Just copy the folder in the link into your unity project assets folder, once its copied in and textures made etc, can then drag model into your scene.

It will have the blue "selection" lines on it when you first import it, you can then just click on anyting else in your scene and the "lines" will ot be there.

https://www.dropbox....J7o9kpupaa?dl=0

OGT Simulator Tour Admin

#20 olazaboll

olazaboll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 08:41 PM

I slighted edited your model in sketchup to remove the geolocation layer (the square), removed the rocks and had a tidy up etc just to leave you the "castle" model on its own.

Just copy the folder in the link into your unity project assets folder, once its copied in and textures made etc, can then drag model into your scene.

It will have the blue "selection" lines on it when you first import it, you can then just click on anyting else in your scene and the "lines" will ot be there.

https://www.dropbox....J7o9kpupaa?dl=0

Have no idea how to make a "thumbs up"-smiley ..so you just have to imagine one :) .... Thanks a lot "johnmeyer"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users