Photo

Do you use a custom difficulty level?

• Please log in to reply
188 replies to this topic

Poll: Custom difficulty mode - multiple choice allowed. (81 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you the use a custom difficulty level? If you do please post the reason below the poll.

1. I use a custom difficulty level when playing solo (17 votes [20.99%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.99%

2. I use a custom difficulty level when playing multiplayer (4 votes [4.94%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.94%

3. I don't use a custom difficulty level (60 votes [74.07%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 74.07%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 scrambler

scrambler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 28 November 2016 - 08:20 PM

I only play solo and want to play about the same as a good real professional golfer. I can't quit do that set to pro, so I change settings to min/med and it is just right. I also want my stats to be about the same as real pro golfer and am hoping with the putting and short game a little harder it will be "PERFECT". This is going to be more important when we get career mode so PLEASE don't get rid of custom.

• SirGrassCutter likes this

#22 SirGrassCutter

SirGrassCutter

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationIn the heavy rough

Posted 28 November 2016 - 08:36 PM

Never use custom there are enough levels in the game to suit all.I only play pro only

None of them suit me, thank you.

#23 SirGrassCutter

SirGrassCutter

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 08:40 PM

Who are these people and their damned elitist conspiracy? Tournaments sites set Pro, TP, Am or whatever so you can pick a competitive bracket to play in, that's all. At other times, I guess most, me included, stick to a default setting because it's what we get used to or can't be bothered fiddling with settings.  

Do you not see the tone of this thread?  Unless I am mistaken it looks like PP are considering tossing the custom settings.  I could care less what happens in tournaments as I do not play for status.  :)

#24 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 08:44 PM

If I had to pick one way or the other I'd say toss custom settings and people will naturally just work their way to a setting that works for them.
  • DivotMaker, Perculator and Greensboronclion like this

#25 SirGrassCutter

SirGrassCutter

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 08:59 PM

If I had to pick one way or the other I'd say toss custom settings and people will naturally just work their way to a setting that works for them.

That is when I would leave the game.  The code has already be written and is in place.  PP has always said they want this game to be for everyone who wants to play it and to play it their way.  Taking out the custom settings is taking that right away from the players.

How could it work for me when I have already tried every default setting and I do not like any of them?  So "naturally" the only setting that works for me is custom.

A workaround for those so, so concerned about how a video game is played is to allow for the host to enforce all the criteria for a round as in snap assists, etc.   I myself will still pick any settings so all can play a level they want.

Ask yourself this (meant to all)  If you win a round does it enhance your enjoyment that you have just playing the game, or is the win itself the only way you get full enjoyment.

Winning means almost nothing to me.  The enjoyment of the pastime itself along with Skyping is where the fun will always be for me.

• scrambler likes this

#26 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 28 November 2016 - 09:02 PM

SGP, if PP were to add another default level to appease you, what would it be?

Maybe the answer (if enough people want it) is a new default level.

Steam Name: Turnerm05

Swing Type: RTSC | Tour Pro | XB1 Wireless

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

GTX 1080 Founders Edition

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#27 Keith

Keith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 28 November 2016 - 09:12 PM

I play with customization.  All settings at Pro level with the exception of Cancel Swing Assist being turned ON.  Have a disability and sometimes my click hand doesn't cooperate as needed.  Been thinking about going back to Amateur as my scores have taken a beating lately, but will continue to try and scratch out an even round at Pro.

• SirGrassCutter likes this

#28 SirGrassCutter

SirGrassCutter

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 09:13 PM

I play max/min and the new putting meter (no flag).  All other options allowed.  To be fair though unless a staggering amount of new levels is added there will be others who find what they like is not represented.  This is why i say PP has already written the code and it works perfectly, therefore there is no need to take it away now.  I do not understand where this is coming from to begin with.  Why is there a need to change anything when what is in place now is adjustable to every single person's liking?

#29 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 09:16 PM

As long as Custom can be filtered out as "not allowed" by a round/tournament creator there's no real issue.

But from a competitive standpoint (tournaments and rankings, etc), the current Custom that "allows anything with no way to know what" is simply unacceptable.

For non competitive rounds it is of course fine, but otherwise it needs to be always something you can disallow.

#30 SirGrassCutter

SirGrassCutter

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 09:18 PM

I play with customization.  All settings at Pro level with the exception of Cancel Swing Assist being turned ON.  Have a disability and sometimes my click hand doesn't cooperate as needed.  Been thinking about going back to Amateur as my scores have taken a beating lately, but will continue to try and scratch out an even round at Pro.

Not being able to cancel your swing is one of the biggest pet peeves I have with pro and tour pro modes.  This is a false difficulty since one can and has cancelled swings while playing on a real golf course.  Having settings to simulate real life I have no issue with (for those who want them).  But increasing the difficulty beyond real life as with the no cancellation of swings is where I have seen more than one developer of games make this tragic error.

• mistajam likes this

#31 Tigers Agent

Tigers Agent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationNext Door.

Posted 28 November 2016 - 09:22 PM

I used custom for a while but recently reverted to Tour Pro 3-Click. My custom setting was the Tour Pro option with the only tweak being changing sweet spot size assist from "minimum" to "off".

I'm a pretty bad golfer in real life and for some sadistic reason like my video game golf the same way. I also purposely slice the ball while playing my friends offline just like I do in real life.

I changed to Tour Pro for the exact reason everyone is mentioning here in that they want to know what type of settings they're playing against. Me personally, I don't care who/what settings I play against. I just hope for a good match. Some matches I win by 1, some I lose by 10. Who cares what settings they're using if it's not a tournament.

It's pretty easy to tell what type of settings someone's using by the first couple of holes. Just watch the flight/path of their ball. If it's too straight or doesn't look right, quit the match and don't play against that person again.

Since I'm not a hardcore forum poster like most here I will say one last thing: I love PG for the options and customization that are not available in other golf games. Please don't start getting rid of them. Oh, and get career mode out ASAP. Thanks!

agree 100% . I've never played anything less.  I can't play target golf  IRL.

#32 SirGrassCutter

SirGrassCutter

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 09:25 PM

As long as Custom can be filtered out as "not allowed" by a round/tournament creator there's no real issue.

But from a competitive standpoint (tournaments and rankings, etc), the current Custom that "allows anything with no way to know what" is simply unacceptable.

For non competitive rounds it is of course fine, but otherwise it needs to be always something you can disallow.

That is fine.  Like I keep saying, forced difficulty levels has its place. That place is tournaments.  I thought that is what you already have at OGT.  Are not all tournaments on fixed levels?  

I would agree that PP's older system was better for those who are concerned about such things.  Remember the time when the two snap assist levels showed up by each player's name?  That could and should be brought back.  There are some who will always assume that if you use a custom setting, that it will be the beginner one with one thing changed.  That could not be farther from the truth with what I have witnessed by most using a custom setting.  If the snap assist levels (the most important thing in difficulty settings) was reintroduced into the game, players like I might be able to get more rounds started with the "any" setting.  :)

#33 SirGrassCutter

SirGrassCutter

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 09:27 PM

agree 100% . I've never played anything less.  I can't play target golf  IRL.

This is a mistake that many make.  Not all who play the game want it to be as hard as real life.  Nor should they be forced to.

#34 Sliceapottomus

Sliceapottomus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 28 November 2016 - 09:28 PM

Not being able to cancel your swing is one of the biggest pet peeves I have with pro and tour pro modes.  This is a false difficulty since one can and has cancelled swings while playing on a real golf course.  Having settings to simulate real life I have no issue with (for those who want them).  But increasing the difficulty beyond real life as with the no cancellation of swings is where I have seen more than one developer of games make this tragic error.

you can cancel swing by clicking the yellow dot cant"t you?

Ncccrca.jpg
Operating System - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit ,  CPU - Intel Core i5 7600K @ 3.80GHz ,  RAM - 16.0GB, MotherboardASRock B250M Pro4 (CPUSocket) , Graphics card4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti ,  Storage256GB (SSD) , 931GB Seagate , 232GB Maxtor USB Device

#35 FreeBolt

FreeBolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 09:29 PM

As long as there are no custom levels in tournaments or multiplayer games, I think most people would be happy.

#36 SirGrassCutter

SirGrassCutter

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 09:33 PM

you can cancel swing by clicking the yellow dot cant"t you?

No need to be smarmy.  The yellow dot turned off is for practice swings which I never use.  On pro and tour pro you cannot reswing once you have started it, at least on 3 click mode.  So your answer made little sense.

#37 SirGrassCutter

SirGrassCutter

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 09:34 PM

As long as there is no custom levels in tournaments or multiplayer games, I think most people would be happy.

Good grief!  Those worried about winning over fun might be.  Whether or not anyone here will admit to it and never have, having the main objective of playing being to win is the only reason this would be an issue to anyone.  Otherwise it would bother me as well.

If PP decides to take out the custom settings then they will have backtracked on their word.  That word was the vision of a golf game that could be made as easy or as hard as one wanted it to be.

As for "most people being happy" that is ONLY in this forum which probably is less than 1% of the player base.  In multiplayer rounds I have found most want it or they would not show up in mine.  Most who show up in my rounds use custom.  I am damn glad I am more concerned about everyone having fun over forcing some to conform to the elitists.  Look up the definition for those who become upset of my using of it.  What is transpiring here in this forum is in the definition.  Cannot we all just play with who and what we like?  No one is forcing anyone to join rounds in multiplayer using the any setting along with custom.   So do not force us to play your way either.  That would be hypocritical.

#38 FreeBolt

FreeBolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 09:45 PM

I do not think winning has that much to do with it myself. Most Pro and Tour Pro players I know, will gladly play anyone of another level as long as they know what level that is. With custom they have no idea what level the person is playing.

#39 Tigers Agent

Tigers Agent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationNext Door.

Posted 28 November 2016 - 09:49 PM

This is a mistake that many make.  Not all who play the game want it to be as hard as real life.  Nor should they be forced to.

so if it's many, can it be a mistake?   is this Perfect Golf or sirgrasscutter golf? 

#40 SirGrassCutter

SirGrassCutter

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 09:50 PM

I do not think winning has that much to do with it myself. Most Pro and Tour Pro players I know, will gladly play anyone of another level as long as they know what level that is. With custom they have no idea what level the person is playing.

If they are willing to play anyone on any level than why does it matter knowing which level it is?  I am trying to see the relevance on this but simply cannot.  Is it to feel better of oneself if they beat someone who is playing an easier level?  I see no other reason for it.  Maybe it comes down to being overly competitive, I do not know.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users