Jim Boags

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationWoodford QLD Australia

Posted 19 December 2014 - 12:07 AM

All,

Unsure if this topic has been previously discussed. That forum is getting large’ish, can’t keep on top of everything.

This question would mainly be directed at the PP team however if anyone has info that they can provide, feel free.

As a game player (mainly links) and a hopeless designer, I was fortunate to be able to fix a game scoring average around the game settings. I was also fortunate enough to ‘just have average skills’ to enable me to click at the 6 o’clock. If I played a whole host of different courses, in varying weather conditions, from varying tees, all with Med/Fast speeds I would have a scoring average of around 71.2 or .3. This would fit perfectly into computer generated sim in an off line career mode. This ability level kept my interest in the game for years.

But what about others who may master the game much quicker even using more difficult in game settings. I’m sure they would see the game become very boring very quickly and pursue a greater thrill in a different arena. This would be considered a lost to the PP team and the community that surrounds the game. This is the single reason why I will not purchase The Golf Club as reports state that within the first week of ownership you could be shooting in the 50’s. No good to me, what am I to do next week.

The question is, Does the PP team have any plans to participate in ongoing maintenance after the release date and in the months and years that follow the games release?

If they are considering this I am unsure as to how they could do it bar tweaking the swingmeter or putting a level on it. You could have, like, Novice, Handicap, Scratch, Am, Pro, Tour then FREAK.

I don’t know, just throwing it out there.

Jim Boags

* Asus SABERTOOTH-Z97-Mark1/4 x DDR3/2 x PCI-E

* Intel BX80646174790 I7-4790,3.60GHZ,4Cores,8MB CACHE Processor

* Samsung 500 GB SSD 840 EVO SATA III 6Gbs 

* Asus STRIX-GTX 970-DC2OC-4GD5  graphics card

* Corsair 16GB (2x8's) DDR3 1600 MHz Vengeance Pro Series

* Corsair Hydro Series H 105 Liquid CPU cooler

* Corsair AX860i ATX Power Supply

* LG 29UB65-P 29in AH-IPS, 2560x1080 resolution monitor

* Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit

#2 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 12:32 AM

I think if there is enough of a mishit penalty then this won't be a problem.  Add the various combination of tough pins (tucked on the edges, not ridiculous slopes), wind, rough length and firm/fast conditions and the game will have virtually infinite replay value.

If the physics are based on actual ball flight data, then there shouldn't be "levels" in terms of how much the ball curves.

Lessening the mishit penalty for missed snap/rhythm is basically giving the player self-correcting clubs.  

But to appeal to all players, I'm guessing there probably will be some kind of swing difficulty variety so it doesn't drive people nuts lol

#3 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 10:53 AM

At this stage the game with no aids enabled is very difficult. Of course you can make it much, much easier by using some of the aids in game such as sweet spot enlargement and what we call snap penalty reduction which work for both the motion swing and click swing. We will be able to tweak these based on player feedback.

I've been really enjoying playing with the motion swing with no aids and have yet to break 85! If you're looking for a challenge, look no further!

We plan on continuing development of the game through the early access period and beyond. We have many ideas we want to implement but we need to get something out there for people to play first.

• St Hubbins, Olbluiiis, remers and 1 other like this

#4 Splash

Splash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • LocationUSA / Michigan

Posted 19 December 2014 - 03:06 PM

At this stage the game with no aids enabled is very difficult. Of course you can make it much, much easier by using some of the aids in game such as sweet spot enlargement and what we call snap penalty reduction which work for both the motion swing and click swing. We will be able to tweak these based on player feedback.

I've been really enjoying playing with the motion swing with no aids and have yet to break 85! If you're looking for a challenge, look no further!

We plan on continuing development of the game through the early access period and beyond. We have many ideas we want to implement but we need to get something out there for people to play first.

Excellent, I luv how your thinking, and really luv motion swing no aids 85....... sounds like simulator and not a kids game, I'm loving that myself.

• St Hubbins likes this

AMD 8350 @ 4.8 / XSPC Raystorm H2O Kit & RX240 Radiator

ASRock 990FX Extreme 9

Kingston HyperX Beast 1866 CL 9-10-11 @ 1.5 volt

EVGA 980ti Classified @ 1521 / 1.21 volt

2 Kingston 3K 120 GB SSD's [System & Game Drives]

CoolerMaster Silent Pro 1000w PS

CoolerMaster HAF 922 Case

Panasonic 55 inch Viera Plasma 60Hz [DSR 3840 x 2160 - 60Hz for gaming]

7.1 Realtek Onboard / Optic Cable to ONKYO 1000w Rec. @ 24Bit / 192

7 Terabyte of Western Digital & Seagate SATA Storage

Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit

Charter Cable Internet / 65MB sec. Down & 5MB sec. Up

#5 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 03:25 PM

The level of difficulty sounds great!

Mike, is the most difficult level (meaning the no snap penalty reduction) the one which is most consistent with actual ball flight data?

Also, is there still a fat/thin click point or was that scrapped?  I didn't see it on the video posted in the steam update thread.

I loved the idea that we might see that level of ballstriking detail.

The game looks absolutely gorgeous btw. 

#6 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 05:26 PM

There is no fat/thin click point... I believe you're referring to that 4th click discussed several times in the past. It isn't there. There is a shaped shot setup, which all takes place inside the Swing Meter as you seek to determine your club for the next shot. I've used this several times and mastering it is where the success comes. You still have to perform the same clicks needed to create a successful swing though!

At present, it's challenging. It's not something you're likely to see people scoring low 60's in. Not simply because the way it's setup, but the courses have far greater challenges in them too. Pop off the fairway, and you're often into areas where you 'risk' your next shot being a failure. Forget about how you may have played other golf games and thought you could make a 150-200yd shot from the rough to the green simply by hitting the numbers.... it won't happen. Safety and recovery, should be in your minds, as you would think when playing for real. You may get lucky, and we all hope to have those few shots we can recollect in the Clubhouse after the 18 holes... but it's likely to be very few if you are forever playing out of the trees.

There are still quirks and irks, but they are being recognised by the Devs, and we're enjoying the fun of trying to break things. There are likely numerous things 'not' in the game at present too. These will take time, and can be tailored far better by the Devs here than any commercial setup. These guys listen... even though alot of us try and shout the loudest, they still make the right decisions based on what it is they were trying to originally create.

#7 clint

clint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 19 December 2014 - 06:47 PM

Get it out!!!

#8 Jim Boags

Jim Boags

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationWoodford QLD Australia

Posted 19 December 2014 - 11:08 PM

I was unaware of the snap penalty and the ability for it to be changed as with the sweet spot enlargement.

Also very glad to here that MJ is having difficulties breaking 85, no offence. That's music to my ears. But what it shows is that that could be a starting point for anyone who likes to be presented with a challenge, and believe you me, that does sound like a challenge. Starting there, Motion swing, no aids and then working backwards, softening areas till that scoring average comes back to a competitive number. 

I am also very glad to here that PP will be continuing development of the game into the future and that they even have plans for the future. This, to me, shows that they are committed to the ongoing success of this venture. It's a 2 way street here, PP need us but we also need PP. This is no 'flash in the pan' kids game, the foundations being laid here are strong, they'll be building on those foundations for years.

Jim Boags

* Asus SABERTOOTH-Z97-Mark1/4 x DDR3/2 x PCI-E

* Intel BX80646174790 I7-4790,3.60GHZ,4Cores,8MB CACHE Processor

* Samsung 500 GB SSD 840 EVO SATA III 6Gbs 

* Asus STRIX-GTX 970-DC2OC-4GD5  graphics card

* Corsair 16GB (2x8's) DDR3 1600 MHz Vengeance Pro Series

* Corsair Hydro Series H 105 Liquid CPU cooler

* Corsair AX860i ATX Power Supply

* LG 29UB65-P 29in AH-IPS, 2560x1080 resolution monitor

* Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users