5 replies to this topic

#1 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 11:50 AM

Quite some time back, when I was a busier man, I had numerous things to do daily that centred my life around the game of Links. I honestly mean, centred too... last thing at night and first thing in the morning.. and none of this invovled clicking my mouse to actually hit a ball.... !

Those that knew of my involvement within the game of Links, were aware of the many web sites that started up as each release of game developed. Links had numerous names during the years of its infancy, and whilst Links 386 was only one of them, the introduction of the LS (Legends of Sport) was another. However, when it lost that name and became Links 2001, a Course Creator, or better known as APCD (Arnold Palmer Course Designer) appeared. The years that followed are still ongoing, even now... as the game runs its course (no pun intended).

During my years of involvement in supporting the game of Links, I created a site known (still) as Links Corner (originally known as Links Designers Corner). I may, from time to time, recall some exploits surrounding the site and sound like an old man. Recently, I'm admitting to remembering less and less about those times, so i guess I'm fast becoming an old man lol...

Anyway, I have still, some old information surrounding those days that I'd be better sharing, rather than deleting. Old hard drives that I've recently found time to peruse often throw out gems you feel shouldn't be discarded. So, what to do with them and where to put them...? Well, attached is a document in TXT format allowing you to read an interview we held at LDC with Mark Hulka. Links 2001 was on the horizon, but had yet to be released.. the year was 2000 and the month of August was 19 days old...

Attached Files

• Barry and shimonko like this

#2 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 11:57 AM

And, whilst I have this post of nostalgia, I found another interview with Mark McArthur... this time from another site (I think it was MS Zone, which would be right consider Microsft's involvement in Links at that time)...

I have added it to the original post above. Enjoy...

#3 JoeF

JoeF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts
  • LocationBrighton, Ontario, Canada

Posted 23 December 2014 - 12:53 PM

Ah, cool. Neat to see some names I haven't come across in a long time. Made me remember Percival's infamous course, lol, and waking up early to sign up to the LSTour when it went live from Mark's kitchen. Thanks for the walk down memory lane.

• IanD likes this

Intel i5-4570 cpu @ 3.2 GHz, ASUS Z74-K mb, ASUS GeForce GTX 960 gpu, 16 GB ram, 2 x SSD drives, Windows 10 64 bit

Steam name: sound_flier

#4 Parboy

Parboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • LocationKansas City MO by way of Santa Ana CA

Posted 23 December 2014 - 01:26 PM

I remember back in the Links 386 days calling Access Software (the original develper of Links) and asking when the next course would be released. They were always so pleasant and helpful, and it was so exciting to get a new course in the mail. I also remember playing with my brother online on MPlayer, trying to move up Cases Ladder and improve my ranking. I spent untold hours playing computer golf. Oh for the good old days.

• ed dawson and IanD like this

#5 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 23 December 2014 - 05:34 PM

I can remember back in the days of Links 368 Pro, heading off down to the local PC shop to see what new courses had been released on floppy disk, lol. Man they were events on their own. Especially remember the day I went in and they had the Pebble Beach disks. Oh those were the days.

I remember when Ian started up the LinksCorner (as it is now) site and how quickly the community grew. I never realised there were so many others around the world that got their kicks out of the Links series.

2001 and 2003 versions came with the course designer. One course will always stick in the memory. Zanzibar GC by Eric Loft. All we had played before this were the Access/MS official courses, but now here was a fictional course made with the APCD. Today there are thousands of courses and all still available from LinksCorner.

We may have seen the developing of TGC and PG, but for me Links will still live on (as I'm sure the PC version of TW does in some parts of the internet).

Thanks for the memories Ian.

;)

• Barry, Richard, ed dawson and 1 other like this

#6 Barry

Barry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationNorth London

Posted 24 December 2014 - 10:57 AM

I'll always remember when we had our first WireLS golf weekend and Ian brought his laptop along and we got to see Mike Higgi play a few holes of Links and put every approach shot to within 3ft on every hole. Daz I remember thinking no one is going to top Zanzibar, Then it was miles ahead of its time. Links Corner is my longest association of anything on the net and I'm still involved with the site, All thanks to you Ian

• ed dawson and IanD like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users