3 replies to this topic

#1 jeffield

jeffield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 11:33 AM

Well,  aside from all of the nice gameplay upgrades this update has brought the computer a.i. players are disappointingly still not making good decisions.  I played Bethesda yesterday with three computer players I created and on one of the first par 4's , I believe it was hole three two players hit the ball into the trees on the left hand side off of the tee.  the game went from( thinking) to( avoiding trees ) while it was setting up the compter players next shot which I thought was going to produce a good result.  the first cpu player pitched out but hit it so hard it crossed the fairway, then cross the trees on the other side landing in an adjacent fairway,  which resulted ok,  as his next shot from that adjacent fairway got him back on track.  the second cpu golfer was not so lucky, he pitched across the fairway and into the woods to where he proceeded on the following shot to slam a three wood into a tree directly in front of him.    it seems on courses with little trees this new a.i. (avoinding trees) programming is working ok,  but if they hit it into a small forrest the outcome is not the same.   I still don't see why they cant punch out with a low trajectory shot back to the fairway.   or if that's too hard to program, let the user have a "take over" button so we can take over the cpu player and punch his / her shot back to the fairway.  

as for the cpu players on the positive note, I do really like how the lower skilled driver players hit shorter drives as well as having less accuracy off of the tee. makes it easier to fine tune the cpu players.

and, other than this cpu player issue,  I like the ball physics, the greens and, the free course that was included.  along with the adjustment to the rts-m .    thanks.

#2 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 11:39 AM

A lot depends on how you set up your A.I. players.

I've found the conservative setting to be the best one as they tend not to take as many risks. When set to aggressive they will take massive risks and try and go for small gaps in the trees etc. Have a play around with the settings some more and see if you can isolate the type of player and skill level that has the most problems.

#3 jeffield

jeffield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 03:07 PM

Ok. I do know these two a.i. players are lower skill level. But they are set to conservative. My concern or problem is that they should just punch out of the woods. Right? On Amy skill level I'm thinking

#4 StoneComet

StoneComet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 11 December 2016 - 06:07 PM

Hi,

My only counter argument is this. You do not get to actually see the shot because the TV crew was looking elsewhere, probably thinking, he's just going to punch out. Shame really. I get goose bumps every time I watch this. Granted all AI are not Seve Ballesteros and in most cases even on aggressive they should probably punch out. Really wish his caddy would have given him the correct yardage but you know what he did not really need that in the end.

Cheers,

SC  :)

- We would be wise to remember that extremism is the real enemy and to keep ourselves aware so as not to become extreme ourselves; otherwise the enemy wins. -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users