garynorman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • LocationBedfordshire, England

Posted 18 December 2016 - 08:36 PM

Before I tear my hair out, can anyone suggest how to fix the following:

I've been adding/amending the collision spheres and capsules on my trees and after saving them they seem to have become invisible on my plot.  They are still in the hierarchy, but do not appear in the game and also don't show up when I double click on them (I just get the movement gizmo).

Any suggestions on what I have done here?

If I can't fix this, I'm literally going to have to completely re-plant from scratch (total pain in the a$*e!!!)

#2 garynorman

garynorman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 08:45 PM

After a little further investigation, they all seem to have been placed at position 0...

I fear the worst...

#3 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 08:49 PM

Are they all in their own group in the heirarchy?

Win 10, i7-7700 @4.2 ghz, 16GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 1080
Swing Type: Tour Pro Wireless XBox 360 Controller.

#4 garynorman

garynorman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 08:58 PM

Yep, they are under a parent

#5 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 09:08 PM

Yep, they are under a parent

Was the main parent created from a blank game object?  If not, move them out from under the parent, and the locations should update.  Otherwise, I'm not sure what the problem would be.

#6 garynorman

garynorman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 09:09 PM

The parent is at 0,0,0...

Each of the trees (when I move them out from under the parent) are at the same position 706.970, -20.8200, 1796.72...  It would appear that their position has been modified when amending the trees in Speedtree.  Interestingly, there were a few that I had not put under the parent and they are at position 0...

#7 garynorman

garynorman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 09:10 PM

Looks like I'm starting the planting all over again...

#8 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 09:11 PM

The parent is at 0,0,0...

Each of the trees (when I move them out from under the parent) are at the same position 706.970, -20.8200, 1796.72...  It would appear that their position has been modified when amending the trees in Speedtree.  Interestingly, there were a few that I had not put under the parent and they are at position 0...

Well, crap, sorry, I don't know what could be wrong then.

#9 garynorman

garynorman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 09:12 PM

Ah well, it'll give me a chance to plant them better than before I guess...

#10 RobC

RobC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
  • LocationSouthampton England

Posted 18 December 2016 - 09:18 PM

Ouch...

#11 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 09:49 PM

Ah well, it'll give me a chance to plant them better than before I guess...

So what is the final conclusion on the process here? You are saying a collision update to your object modified your position of your objects?

I am just looking on your best guess for what you would avoid in the future and what you feel needs to be finalized before planting.

These were all hand planted?

#12 garynorman

garynorman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 09:54 PM

I would say that it could relate to the debug on the course script being on possibly as I've amended things before without issue and was just looking for a rogue pin directly prior to the issue occurring.

Yes I had hand planted all of the trees...

I will investigate further

#13 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 12:53 AM

If you open the tree from Unity directly from the project and make adjustments, save out the tree in the speedtree editor to the project folder it should overwrite it and replace all the objects on the course with the correct collider I'll have to investigate why the locations moved. Seems very odd.

Do you have a backup scene prior to you updating the tree as the locations will likely not have changed in that one?

#14 garynorman

garynorman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 11:52 AM

If you open the tree from Unity directly from the project and make adjustments, save out the tree in the speedtree editor to the project folder it should overwrite it and replace all the objects on the course with the correct collider I'll have to investigate why the locations moved. Seems very odd.

Do you have a backup scene prior to you updating the tree as the locations will likely not have changed in that one?

I did open them directly from the project which I normally do.

I've just had a play and it's not anything to do with debug being on.  I've amended some this morning without issue so I'm not sure what actually went wrong last night.

Unfortunately (for unfortunately read stupidly) I hadn't made a backup recently so it's easier just to re-plant

#15 olazaboll

olazaboll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 08:06 PM

I still have all of the trees that I had modified but they are all currently sitting at the same location under the terrain, so I need to delete them all an re-plant.  I'm not too sure how it happened, but I feel less stressed about it after a good night's sleep and I still have my compiled course for a guide.

Sorry ... I'm probably to much of an new bee for knowing what im talking about .....But could pressing the 

"Lover/Restore The Tarrain"-button help ..... 

#16 garynorman

garynorman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 02:59 PM

Sorry ... I'm probably to much of an new bee for knowing what im talking about .....But could pressing the 

"Lover/Restore The Tarrain"-button help ..... 

It's not a terrain issue, it's definitely something to do with updating the trees.

As of yet I cannot find what caused it, but I do know that it affects all previous saved scenes (ie if the tree moves in any one scene in your project, it moves when you open a previous version too) so I would recommend backing up the entire project somewhere else before amending your trees.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users