13 replies to this topic

#1 ed dawson

ed dawson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 03:39 PM

I have been playing with my World Composer for the last couple of days and am struggling at the moment with:

1 - Stepping on the heightmap as it comes into Unity (see attached acreenshot) - I have tried playing with the settings in the Terrain Creator and I don't seem to make much difference

2 - Inability to compile the imported data as a Unity Asset/Package which would enable me to upload it inot CF.

As ever, all constructive help will be appreciated :wacko: .

Attached Files

#2 ed dawson

ed dawson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 03:43 PM

I am now managing to get my image linked to the forum using Photobucket, but I think it would be more helpful to have the image show in the forum.  I'd be grateful if someone could tell me how to achieve this please.

#3 johnmeyer

johnmeyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 12:09 AM

In the end I pretty much gave up with wc as the first issue you describe was a killer.

Larrykuh and Justin over at OGT are doing a great job at providing LIDAR based terrains, and Larry also has got his terra land package working well now

May be worth just asking them for the course your after and see if they can do anything for ya

OGT Simulator Tour Admin

#4 Larrykuh

Larrykuh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 02:09 AM

As John mentioned, stepping is common when creating heightmaps from Bing and also Google. I am beginning to believe that the more elevation change you have in your selected area, the less likely there will be steps, but I cannot confirm that is true. There are times using Terraland that I get heightmaps with no steps, but the next one I try I get steps.

If you let me know what course you are trying to create, I will try to get a Lidar heightmap for you. They are so much more accurate.

#5 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 05 January 2017 - 08:44 PM

Posting pic for Ed.

worldcomp%20import.png?t=1482766366

#6 ed dawson

ed dawson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 11:50 PM

Thanks for the responses guys.  Wish I hadn't wasted the pennies on WC now - but that's life.  Thanks for posting the image Daz - it is actually supposed to be Old Head (Kinsale).  I'm not saying that I would ever get it to publication - I am coping quite well with the mechanics and am learning all of the time ( although I still feel that elevation management was easier in APCD lol) but the artistic flair that our generous designers are blessed with is sadly, lacking in me <_< .

#7 Larrykuh

Larrykuh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 01:35 AM

Ed,

Old Head is a real problem. I have tried everything to get a good Old Head heightmap, but have had very little success. I wish Lidar was available for it, but unfortunately, no luck. The resolution of Google/Bing is not very good, so you get results with the stepping. I have a heightmap created in TerraLand with several smoothing steps applied (by Terraland). Unfortunately, most of the ocean side holes (all 7) slope too severely towards the ocean. If you want to see it, let me know and I will send you a link in a PM.

Larry

#8 Ahernejd

Ahernejd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 10:23 AM

Ed,

Old Head is a real problem. I have tried everything to get a good Old Head heightmap, 

Larry

So, this is my 1st post here, which is hard to believe as I have been following the progress since Mike showed me a demo at the PGA Show, which must be 4 years ago now.

I have been trying to decide what course to start with and was thinking about The Old Head, I have 25cm LIDAR data for the entire course. I had already built it in a different engine so i am thinking it would be an easy(ish) one to get my feet wet again in CF. Here is a video of the old version, I cant wait to see how it comes out in CF, I have been blown away by some of the user courses i have seen so far. https://player.vimeo...&profile_id=174

If somebody has already started can they please let me know and I can move to a different course.

J

• ed dawson likes this

#9 Jimbobh

Jimbobh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:11 AM

Deleted

Gigabyte ga-z68x-ud3h-b3 Motherboard

Intel Core i5-2400 CPU@3.1GHz 3.70GHz

GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
16GB Ram   (2)G.Skill Ripjaws F3-10666L9S-8GBXL
Windows 7 Home Premium

#10 ed dawson

ed dawson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 12:29 PM

I would say - go for it John. As you can see we have been having problems getting base data and those of us who have Links roots are well versed in the quality of your courses and I look forward to seeing your skills an talents applied to our new course creator. I'm sure that in this I speak for many.

#11 ed dawson

ed dawson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 01:02 PM

Thanks for looking at Old Head Larry. I'm pleased that I wasn't the only one to have difficulty obtaining data here. However, if John A is going to give it a run, the result will be far superior to anything I might achieve. I can bumble on with so many other courses. I think i would like to explore acquiring lidar data for future course creation.

#12 Larrykuh

Larrykuh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 02:56 PM

If John has 25cm lidar for Old Head, you can't get much better than that. From the video, it looks like he nailed it in the other engine. It will be a great addition to the available courses.

#13 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 06 January 2017 - 04:59 PM

John will be a great addition to the CF community.

Had some great courses made in the APCD for Links 2003.

Looking forward to seeing what he can do with CF and Unity.

#14 olazaboll

olazaboll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 08:11 PM

Good to see you here John :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users