Photo

Bunker Islands- Grass in Game is planted below the terrain

Best Answer Kablammo11 , 30 December 2016 - 09:21 AM

That happens because in the game the terrain below the bunker mesh is being automatically lowered - and with it the grass that is attached to the terrain.

You can preview the phenomenon by clicking on the lower terrain icon in CF, then disabling the mesh view - this should show you what is going on below the surface.

Ola, even your tree will be lowered by a meter or so, same as the grass. Terrain is always lowered below a bunker. Bottom Line: You can't do any planting on bunkers. ("Bunkers", in term of CF, being all the meshes that contain the word "bunker" in its name - they triggers the lowering).

I'm not quite sure what to do about it: Does your rough island mesh contain the word "bunker" in its name? Usually, this island mesh is created by cloning the original bunker, switching out textures and changing negative to positive depths. If you named that clone "bunker island", that would trigger the lowering effect to also take place underneath it. Just rename it to something that does not contain the letter string "bunker".

Another idea might be to clone your surrounding bunker and rename it to something that does not say "bunker" in it. The lips of the bunkers in your image look pretty shallow, so terrain lowering may not be required at all for them. If you re-christen these to non-bunkers, the terrain will not get lowered und you can plant grass all over them.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 pingzing

pingzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 954 posts
  • LocationQld Australia

Posted 30 December 2016 - 07:30 AM

Hi and looking for some help

I have added some bunker islands  too a real course i am doing and the grass in Cf shows it`s  planted on top of the terrain but when i  play the course in game the Grass is sunken under the bunker island terrain...?

Bunkers Island mesh  was set to rough, I changed it to semi rough. bunker island colour is a light brown dirt grass look

i have changed the colour slightly but  no good  

Pictures Link below

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByTR6w_prq1McndNVXlhR1lzYjQ

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByTR6w_prq1MbGs4SjZqaUxBaE0

Thanks for help 

#2 olazaboll

olazaboll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 08:27 AM

Hi pingzing

This is not much help , but I can say that simular happened to me ... I have not made an island in a bunker but I placed a tree in it and surroudned that with grass ... Tree looks fins , but not the grass ...looks like in your picture ...but its in the sand instead ...

#3 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 09:21 AM   Best Answer

That happens because in the game the terrain below the bunker mesh is being automatically lowered - and with it the grass that is attached to the terrain.

You can preview the phenomenon by clicking on the lower terrain icon in CF, then disabling the mesh view - this should show you what is going on below the surface.

Ola, even your tree will be lowered by a meter or so, same as the grass. Terrain is always lowered below a bunker. Bottom Line: You can't do any planting on bunkers. ("Bunkers", in term of CF, being all the meshes that contain the word "bunker" in its name - they triggers the lowering).

I'm not quite sure what to do about it: Does your rough island mesh contain the word "bunker" in its name? Usually, this island mesh is created by cloning the original bunker, switching out textures and changing negative to positive depths. If you named that clone "bunker island", that would trigger the lowering effect to also take place underneath it. Just rename it to something that does not contain the letter string "bunker".

Another idea might be to clone your surrounding bunker and rename it to something that does not say "bunker" in it. The lips of the bunkers in your image look pretty shallow, so terrain lowering may not be required at all for them. If you re-christen these to non-bunkers, the terrain will not get lowered und you can plant grass all over them.

• RobC and NoPutt like this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#4 pingzing

pingzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 954 posts
  • LocationQld Australia

Posted 30 December 2016 - 09:31 AM

Thanks Olazaboll for reply anyway buddy

K11

Will go and try what you recommend  and hope this works. it`s amazing your knowledge base  which comes with

hours and hours of trial and error.

Cheers mate for the detailed info for solution to this

#5 pingzing

pingzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 954 posts
  • LocationQld Australia

Posted 31 December 2016 - 01:59 AM

Followed your tips K11 but still the grass is planted below

Cloned   the Bunker layer, even cloned a Rough Library as well, no matter what i try , still the grass gets planted below the terrain, rename the library excluding the name bunker. 

I really need to get this problem resolved otherwise i will be  at a loss here on this real course i am doing and looking forward for others courses with Bunker islands

Really hope i can get this resolved

Thanks

#6 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 10:47 AM

I'm a bit at a loss what to recommend here. If you say your grass is planted below the terrain, do you mean below the meshes or below the actual unity terrain? (Which sounds impossible).

Could you post a screen capture of your layers library and with the settings of your two sand and rough island meshes?

And could you snap a picture of your terrain in shaded wireframe mode, with only the spline lines visible, the meshes disabled and the lower terrain icon activated?

Or PM me to arrange a Skype call with screen sharing. Whatever it is, your issue certainly should be resolvable.

And Happy New Year since you Aussies get to enjoy it a bit sooner than us.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

<<<<<

#7 pingzing

pingzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 954 posts
  • LocationQld Australia

Posted 31 December 2016 - 12:37 PM

Yeh sure thing K11, will take some snap shots mate and get back tomorrow

You mentioned - the meshes disabled, how do i do that...? sorry not sure where this option is or what you mean

I understand the rest of the options you mentioned though, so thank you .

Happy new year mate,  we aussies are 15 hours ahead of  most places. but behind in other things ....   Lol

Thank you for your help, get back to you asap

#8 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 03:24 PM

It's the 3rd CF icon from the bottom. I makes the CF meshes invisible and reveals the Unity terrain underneath them.

How's 2017 coming along? It's still 2016 over here and that is one heck of a crap year.

• RobC and NoPutt like this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

#9 pingzing

pingzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 954 posts
  • LocationQld Australia

Posted 01 January 2017 - 01:17 AM

Same Chris 2016 wasn`t much chop, work, work, bills Huh , lucky for golf and music keeps me happy

The tip you mentioned to select the lowered terrain button, well that really lets you see what`s happening 

in CF, i have never used it before, so thanks k11

So the Bunker islands and the Grasses  are all being lowered 

Here is The Bunker Island Dirt Grass 

YPWCwjN.jpg

Normal Bunker Settings 

9NYLLPA.jpg

This is how it looks with terrain lowered option ,  with the Bunker Dirt Grass Spline 

RLBwR3V.jpg

This is how it looks with Island Dirt Grass test, with the bunker name omitted 

PE8JyU6.jpg

In Game Shot  where grass is lowered 

1dGdElS.jpg

Grass is Lowered in game and can only see the tops of the longer Grass and all the other grass cant be seen 

Appreciate your help K11

Thank you 

#10 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 12:07 PM

Thanks for your efforts, Stephen. I see nothing wrong with your Layers Library settings.

Your 3rd image shows nicely how the terrain is being lowered once more if you have "bunker" in your mesh name..

For the life of me I can't imagine why in your fourth image the bunker lowering is not reversed underneath your islands.

You did not, by any chance, forget to re-calculate all the meshes? You would need to do that, though I certainly would expect that you did. 

Since your bunker really is very shallow, I count a total depth of 6.5 cm - and since your terrain is set 15cm below the meshes by default, I suggest you that you clone your mesh 1 Bunker, rename it to something without bunker in it, like Sand, then switch out your bunker mesh with it and recalculate. This would prevent the terrain from being lowered altogether and let your grasses grow as intended. With bunkers this shallow, terrain lowering is not really required. (It would also allow you to plant grasses closer to the bunker lips).

As a slight aesthetic comment, perhaps also try to add a bit of bulging up to the terrain underneath your rough islands, if possible, to make them look like they stick a bit more up from the ground.

Tobacco Road is looking very yummy, btw...

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

#11 pingzing

pingzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 954 posts
  • LocationQld Australia

Posted 02 January 2017 - 03:56 AM

Cheers k11 will get onto that last reply and see what happens, hope this works

Tobacco Road is a my 1st real course attempt, its fantastic, Mike Strantz the late designer is a visionary and  see`s things very different to others, shame he passed, the course design is amazing,the tee boxes have different farm implements, waste bunkers all over, tons of blind shots, so there are bells you have to ring when fairway is clear for the players on tee.

Dp is making the clubhouse, tee box machinery, i found some objects and he is modifying them for me in blender

Larrykuh and john meyer got the Lidar for me, its very different working on a real course for sure

had  a torrid time getting the Massive splines to work, there friggin huge with shared fairways etc

Just hope your always supportive help can fix this , other wise, i might have to zip up the course and send it to you

my interent  is from the stone age, 400k down and 100 k up, so would take me all day to upload, but that might be my last help

if i cant fix it, and you would be my last option to send it you for a gander

Cant thank you enough K11 for your ongoing help here mate

Get back soon , hope this works

Stephen

#12 pingzing

pingzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 954 posts
  • LocationQld Australia

Posted 02 January 2017 - 10:18 PM

Thanks for your efforts, Stephen. I see nothing wrong with your Layers Library settings.

Your 3rd image shows nicely how the terrain is being lowered once more if you have "bunker" in your mesh name..

For the life of me I can't imagine why in your fourth image the bunker lowering is not reversed underneath your islands.

You did not, by any chance, forget to re-calculate all the meshes? You would need to do that, though I certainly would expect that you did. 

Since your bunker really is very shallow, I count a total depth of 6.5 cm - and since your terrain is set 15cm below the meshes by default, I suggest you that you clone your mesh 1 Bunker, rename it to something without bunker in it, like Sand, then switch out your bunker mesh with it and recalculate. This would prevent the terrain from being lowered altogether and let your grasses grow as intended. With bunkers this shallow, terrain lowering is not really required. (It would also allow you to plant grasses closer to the bunker lips).

As a slight aesthetic comment, perhaps also try to add a bit of bulging up to the terrain underneath your rough islands, if possible, to make them look like they stick a bit more up from the ground.

Tobacco Road is looking very yummy, btw...

Well after following your very helpful alternatives to  make sure the name bunker is excluded in the library name  , I cloned the bunker library then renamed it and excluded the name bunker and cloned the bunker island as well and took out the name bunker.

Wahoo -  As a result the problem of the splines being auto lowered  is resolved and all is good

So once again k11 your knowledge/skills and analytical approaches  are  invaluable mate and much appreciated

I better not include a happy face here, i know how you feel about them - 

Thank you, thank you, thank you

#13 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 02 January 2017 - 10:45 PM

@pingzing - you may want to use this method to update your last course at some point. I'm guessing that the problem with the islands playing as sand on that course is related to this current planting problem.

life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#14 pingzing

pingzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 954 posts
  • LocationQld Australia

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:25 PM

@pingzing - you may want to use this method to update your last course at some point. I'm guessing that the problem with the islands playing as sand on that course is related to this current planting problem.

thanks Les, yeh i thought about lands end, actually i forgot change the bunker islands from sand to  rough

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users