46 replies to this topic

#1 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 04:23 PM

As much as I dislike homes on a golf course, they seem to be a peripheral asset need. Additionally, a design tends to seem a little incomplete without a clubhouse.

It seems that most around here tend to download Sketchup stuff that is way too high poly and contain way too many materials.

What started as a favor to another community member, has quickly evolved into the DPR House Construction Asset Package.

I am going to provide 5-6 essential house building blocks and 5-6 different materials or "themes". I have completed the building blocks. The materials are not finished but should not take me long. My hope is to provide the Blender files and .PSD files should you even desire to modify some of the shapes or textures.

All building blocks will be Prefabs in Unity. Sharing of materials should allow for Unity to batch and limit load on CPU/GPU. All blocks are like 30 tris or less.

My thought is that you would then have a somewhat infinite ability for low poly house construction. This could be clubhouses, outhouses, homes, etc.

Building Blocks

GRvIbm1.jpg

One idea on stacking of blocks for a larger home

34Q3x0i.jpg

Blocks have shutters on one side and no shutters on the other giving multiple design possibilities

kl61NCW.jpg

It is not/won't be perfect but I think it will suit most needs. I may make a block or two additional if anyone sees something essential. Hopefully, this will work as I envision and really allow someone to add a neighborhood without much impact on FPS.

Themes will obviously be of my choosing. I am thinking #1 - red/yellow with Spanish tile, #2 - black/white with Spanish tile, #3 - all brick with traditional roof, #4 - brick/stone with traditional roof, #5 - brick/siding with traditional roof, #6 - all siding with traditional roof. Since you will have the .PSD files you could make your own with your own color themes as well.

• Kablammo11, highfade, bortimus and 6 others like this

#2 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 01 January 2017 - 08:12 PM

This is genius! Thank you.

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#3 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 01 January 2017 - 09:41 PM

Great idea DP, and nice work too.

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#4 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 10:03 PM

Should be able to tidy this up quickly. One more add in idea is supplying all blocks without a roof allowing you to stack at your pleasure.

Red Yellow Spanish Villa Theme

q7xG14s.jpg

Dark Red Off White Spanish Villa Theme

pQ9eHcs.jpg

1 texture for each theme at 2048x2048

#5 johnmeyer

johnmeyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 03:05 PM

Brilliant idea. Fantastic contribution to the community

OGT Simulator Tour Admin

#6 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 09:35 PM

Small update. Added 2 new but essential building blocks. I am rarely satisfied with most things but this is progressing as well as I could have hoped. My only snag is needing to revamp the texture and models a bit so you guys will be able to make your own themes in a few minutes. I am guessing I may supply about 8-10 themes. The only caution will be is that more themes mean more textures to load but I'm guessing the course will handle 10 no problem with the way things are batched. I think there will be some neat stuff possible mixing themes.

Picture of the 2 new blocks - seemingly innocent but really add some pop to the houses to remove the boorish look.

ry0X00N.jpg

2 new blocks in action (7 blocks total for the look below, 10.2 seconds to build with prefabs)

yKXZvgz.jpg

• RobC likes this

#7 pingzing

pingzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 954 posts
  • LocationQld Australia

Posted 02 January 2017 - 10:32 PM

Brilliant idea here, other golf games they stack/attach  buidlings together to form different shapes and create villages etc 

These modern buildings look good, i also like old rustic buildings, Cabins, sheds- tin roofs

What i have had problems with is trying to find   retaining walls- timber, old wood planks, sleepers etc,

even signs where you can add your text, like real courses  give you info , hole number and layout etc at the side of the tee boxes

I see your point on sketch up  high poly though,, the 3d warehouse  has plenty of objects, this site seems to have to best variety .

Thanks Dp for your efforts 

#8 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 02:47 AM

Are these available yet or still being tweaked?

#9 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 05:50 AM

Are these available yet or still being tweaked?

Still tweaking. I went back and refined the models and mapping because I wanted the texture changes to be simplified. I hope you can hold out for a few days for Pebble. I should be able to give you plenty of textures for the Spanish manors and even the 1970s siding type homes around 18. I am probably two nights away.

I am going to be providing some normal maps as well if you should choose to use them. Probably not overly necessary except for houses closer to the course.

9 pieces, mapping plays much nicer with the brick now

fUDoTzA.jpg

• IanK likes this

#10 worrybirdie

worrybirdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts
  • LocationPismo Beach, California

Posted 03 January 2017 - 06:47 AM

DP this stuff looks good! And gets around the high poly count that was befuddling the Pebble Beach design (or so I've read).  Nice job!

Any chance we can get a little ivy on that building? :lol:

#11 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 09:48 PM

DP this stuff looks good! And gets around the high poly count that was befuddling the Pebble Beach design (or so I've read).  Nice job!

Any chance we can get a little ivy on that building? :lol:

Of course, you can add ivy. In fact, you can add whatever you like.

Now, did you only want it on the first level?

E0iisC6.jpg

Or, cover the entire building?

GMCXm2o.jpg

Or, maybe the building, but not a few shutters...

9wi0ZWs.jpg

You will have 1 set of building blocks but will see that when a prefab is placed in the scene, it can take on any material you apply to it. The beauty is not just in the blocks but the material being drag and drop. (a feature of Unity)

The material will consist of 1 texture (and a normal if desired) that is a .PNG made from a .psd (photoshop file) that I will provide. You can change doors, windows, wall textures, shutters as desired. Then, save and import into Unity and make a material for the blocks. It is easy and I will obviously make a snoozer of a video to accompany all of this. The hang ups of course will be some Photoshop know how and Unity know how.

Why? Because you can...

nqCXa68.jpg

The above textures will take about 10 minutes of editing to create, depending on your complexity of changes. All the magic is in creating the texture for the material, which is not hard. Photoshop Pattern feature is a time saver! Genius, probably not. I prefer BadA$$!

Now, before PingZing attacks with a stream of consciousness and run on sentences, yes, we can do log cabins!

655vkto.jpg

• IanK likes this

#12 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 10:01 PM

Forgot one. You can mix and match as well. Just drag the new material from the Project panel to the object(s) you want to change and...

eCQnwTb.jpg

#13 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 03 January 2017 - 10:28 PM

Great stuff DPR.

This type of building creation with low poly's will allow resort courses to have the houses on the plot, hopefully without incurring too much of a drain on FPS. Maybe these buildings DPR has created aren't quite resort course style, but shows what can be achieved with the right know how.

#14 olazaboll

olazaboll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 10:37 PM

Very nice work DPR ... Thank you for your efforts ... I think many europeans would like very much to have also a british touch on the houses ... I see it to 90 % in your pictures ... may be you can find the last 10 % so we can build something  like :

http://media.gettyim...28390?s=170667a

https://encrypted-tb...yuNjvH6AZ8LDEvQ

(Just food for thoughts ) 

#15 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 10:49 PM

We can obviously add blocks to the package as ideas get worked out. The blocks will probably be minimal impact as they are 150 tris or less. I think with current blocks, I can achieve your photos Ola. I will continue tidying things up and see what I can do.

Daz, any photos of houses you are hoping to see?

The idea is modular so that we can cover most needs.

This is all less than 3 days of thought/work at the moment.

Once released, people can share their textures and we'll be rocking!

#16 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 12:14 AM

Ola,

Your photos prompted a few block additions. A bay window and a stackable first and second floor. The concept is right. The execution will improve. Row, row, row your houses...

bMYDM2a.jpg

#17 clubcaptain

clubcaptain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 12:55 AM

Thanks for all your efforts DPR.

Mediterranean and Carribean type houses would extend the range amazingly.

• brokenclub likes this

PC specs...

Intel core I7 9700k 3.6 GHZ-Turbo 4.9 GHZ
64 GB Corsair vengeance  LPX DDR4 2400 MHZ
Asus PRIME Z390-P 
Nvidea GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
X box 360 wired controller
Windows 10 PRO NA 64 bit

#18 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 01:49 AM

Pebble can wait a couple more days. I need a break from it anyway. These additions will be worth having.

#19 worrybirdie

worrybirdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts
  • LocationPismo Beach, California

Posted 04 January 2017 - 04:59 AM

Congrats on a great (and rather thorough) answer to my question DP! I'd ask another question...but you've worked hard enough for now.

#20 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 06:56 AM

Nearing completion. My guess is release on Thursday.

Anything will be possible in less than 10 minutes of fiddling.

t4Al038.jpg

The magic beyond the blocks is finalizing my "texturegenerator.psd"

Every Folder in the Adobe file has multiple windows, doors, roofs, wall textures, window decorations, etc. All can be turned on or off and exported as a unique .PNG. You can add your own textures as well. Alter colors. Whatever. Permutations/combinations galore.

tY3E4ba.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users