• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Vader jr.

Vader jr.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 10:51 AM

The game looks absolutely superb based on the videos I've seen from the alpha testers.   You could charge $150 for Steam early access and I'd pay it. lol.

Forgive me if this has already been discussed elsewhere (I'm new to the forum) but in the videos I've seen so far....the wind is displayed similar to TW.  

I do see that you offer constantly changing wind speeds and direction (to make precise math impossible).

However, it's not very realistic to see the wind speed & direction both change so much each second. Pretty sure I saw the wind change from 13mph blowing leftward to 4mph blowing rightward in less than a second (or something similar).  That seems too much like bingo, doesn't seem realistic to me for an average day of golf with low winds. 

While that's a good option to prevent precise math/mapping.......there's another option which can achieve a similar objective while keeping the game more like real life golf.

...Such as using a general 'word' descriptor rather than a numerical representation of the precise wind speed, attached to a less volatile and more realistic wind direction.  This would prevent precise math while also retaining a more realistic feel to the game.

TGC had discussed offering this type of option post-launch (once they had more time) but I don't know if they ever implemented it since I haven't played in a long time.

For instance, you could offer an option that would simply say "moderate wind" (with an arrow next to it) -- which could indicate anything from 10mph to 15mph or whatever (which would blow in a more consistent direction and be less volatile, but harder to guess and therefore more like reality).  

In real life we know the direction and general strength level of wind, but not the precise number.   This option would simply mimic real life more.

I'm looking for a way to play without "precise math" and without random "bingo" elements.  The word descriptor seems like a good middle ground.  Just as an "option" anyway.

#2 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 11:34 AM

Agree - we have recently toned down the wind direction and strength fluctuations. 'Gusty' setting still has more variation than the others as you might expect.

At the moment as we try to get to 'early access' as soon as possible, most of the exact information available is on screen or can be called upon such as top view, aiming in top view, exact wind strrength etc. Through early access we will continue to add options to these settings and have them tied into a difficulty level. ie when you play at pro level you wont be able to aim in the top view nor will you have exact wind strengths.

#3 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 11:34 AM

It was discussed in the private forum. A few of us wanted a much vaguer measure of the wind, but others liked the mph version. I don't think it was brought up though how quickly the wind would change though, good point.

#4 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 12:14 PM

Since mph is still varying so much, the value of this numeric information, regarding gameplay, is almost inexistent anyway. Might as well make the arrow bigger or smaller to indicate the power of the wind.

And yes, I agree, changes in directions of more than 25 degrees should not occur too frequently. What matters there mostly, I feel, is that strength and angle could change suddenly (or not), and not that they effectively always do on every shot - to serve exclusively as an additional randomising factor.

There also was, maybe still is, talk of a grass toss feature, with the player avatar emitting a small particle cloud of grass blades, I suppose... the kind of thing that is not a top priority at the moment, but maybe still on the to-do list.

What I, as a designer, would like to see, is for me to set a primary wind direction, perhaps with a secondary and tertiary one added for variety, so that I get to set a predominant wind and design my course with this design element playing its deservedly crucial part. Right now the wind is just stupidly random from 360 degrees and that, methinks, is a bit of a pity. But this, too, is a nice to have, not a must have at this stage. Which is a bit of a pity as well: Without it, certain green contours and slopes and therefore certain pin positions are less viable than originally intended.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#5 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 12:30 PM

Or even for real courses, use real-time wind data from the nearest weather stations as the dominant wind, lerping and adding minor variations on top.

#6 RobC

RobC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
  • LocationSouthampton England

Posted 10 January 2015 - 01:54 PM

What I, as a designer, would like to see, is for me to set a primary wind direction, perhaps with a secondary and tertiary one added for variety, so that I get to set a predominant wind and design my course with this design element playing its deservedly crucial part. Right now the wind is just stupidly random from 360 degrees and that, methinks, is a bit of a pity. But this, too, is a nice to have, not a must have at this stage. Which is a bit of a pity as well: Without it, certain green contours and slopes and therefore certain pin positions are less viable than originally intended.

I agree totally... this should be able to be set by the designer. Especially as it effects hole Stroke Index etc

#7 sirputterman

sirputterman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 03:16 PM

For the sake of realisim the designer should be able to set the predominant wind direction. Many courses especially links styles courses are layed out taking that factor in high consideration so  having a "crap shoot" wind direction can make a tough hole  almost unplayable. Take for an example a hole that has a long carry to the  fairway but in real life the predominate wind would help you achieve that. Now you take and have random wind and all of a sudden you need a nuclear field cannon to make the fairway. So you end up short in the rough  or even worse if that carrry was over a gully you end up in the guacomole  having to hit a high lofted club just to get out. That tough hole now becomes a potential for a round breaking hole. Extremely frustating and not the way the hole was meant or designed to be played.

I really hope that feature is a high consideration to be added.

#8 Ron Piskorik

Ron Piskorik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • LocationFlorham Park, NJ

Posted 10 January 2015 - 04:10 PM

Agree - we have recently toned down the wind direction and strength fluctuations. 'Gusty' setting still has more variation than the others as you might expect.

I just played a round with windy conditions and shot +2.  It was a lot better than the first round I tried but it still changes direction to quickly.  The 90 degree instantaneous jumps aren't realistic.  I think it still needs some more adjustment. 

Alienware Area 51 R2
Windows 10 Home (64bit)
Intel® Core™ i7-5820K Six Core (15MB Cache, Overclocked up to 3.9 GHz w/ Turbo Boost)
Intel® X99 Chipset (Intel® DHX99 PCH)
32GB (4X8GB) DDR4 2133MHz SDRAM Memory
256GB SSD 6Gb/s Main
Centauri CPU heatsink
4TB 5400RPM SATA 6Gb/s
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti with 6GB GDDR5
Killer™ E2200 Integrated 10/100/1000 Gigabit Network Card
Integrated Creative Labs Sound Blaster Recon3Di
Alienware™ 850 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply
Dual Layer DVD Burner (DVD±RW, CD-RW)
Logitech G810 Artemis Spectrum gaming keyboard
Dell 27 Gaming Monitor - S2716DG at 2560 X 1440
Logitech Gaming Mouse G502

3 Click PRO Level

#9 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 04:14 PM

Agree with the design concept regarding the wind. If it was an integral part of the CF, it could aid in what the designer sets out to achieve. It would also orientate Pin Flags specifically, taking the need away from the game. Other factors could also be introduced based upon the height of the course and hole layouts. This could help those deciding to elevate a hole achieving more wind across or whether to shelter the hole with planting etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users