Photo

Water Issue

Best Answer Cintigolfer , 11 January 2017 - 04:10 AM

Thanks everyone for you help in trying to resolve this.  I checked the shotpoints to ensure that they were on the new terrain.  At this point, I'm going to start over.  I've already got all of the splines drawn for 6 holes so I think it will be better in the long run to have a project that does not have all of the issues as the first one (i.e. lakes that don't work, painted trees that don't have colliders, golfers facing the wrong direction).  Since I'm working with Lidar data, the terrain sculpting is kept to a minimum so I think I'm about 30% of the way through the rebuild.  It should only take me 2 weeks to get it complete again.

Edit - I wanted to update this for future reference in case someone else has the same problem. Lowering the terrain did solve water issue that I saw.  Unfortunately for me, I couldn't lower the terrain enough in this area of the course since the lakes were close to the low point of the terrain.  Had I just had about 5 more meters of height, I would have been able to fix the issue with just lowering the terrain.

I have the two holes with lakes finished on the rebuild and both are working properly.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Cintigolfer

Cintigolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, Ohio

Posted 04 January 2017 - 02:30 AM

I am just about finished with Firestone South but I'm having some issues with the lakes. They seem to act like they are frozen and the ball stays on top of them about 80% of the time. Here is a picture of the water properties.

Attached File  WaterSettings.JPG   53.88KB   0 downloads

I have the terrain about 2 meters below the level of the lake. Does anyone know what is causing this?

#2 hiltonwelford

hiltonwelford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Locationnew zealand

Posted 04 January 2017 - 05:23 AM

in my lake in inspector right at the top,the name i have is the water i used which is waterplane3.you have lake hole 16.that is the only difrence i can see.

#3 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 08:30 AM

Try reducing the Y scale to zero.

#4 Cintigolfer

Cintigolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 11:27 AM

Changing the Y scale to 0 caused the water to turn black.  I tried .01 and it still played as frozen.

As a note, this is the same course where any trees that I planted using the painting method do not act as coliders.

#5 Cintigolfer

Cintigolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 12:14 AM

I've tried everything that I can think of and the water still plays like it's frozen.  When I hit a ball in the water, the lie says "Rough".  Does that help anyone figure out what is going on with the water?

#6 johnmeyer

johnmeyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 12:23 AM

It sounds like your colliders aren't working as game isn't reciognising it's hitting the water. Would make sense as you said had same thing with trees.

Have you still got mikes original tutorial scene in the project from when you imported the cf package. If so perhaps try opening that and creating a water hazard in that scene and then building a course from that scene.

If the water then works you could just right click on that water plane in heir achy, select copy, and then open up the firestonr scene and then right click and paste and see if it then works?

OGT Simulator Tour Admin

#7 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 12:42 AM

In the Inspector window, expand Materials under the Mesh Renderer section.  What does it say in the Element 0 box?

Win 10, i7-7700 @4.2 ghz, 16GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 1080
Swing Type: Tour Pro Wireless XBox 360 Controller.

#8 Cintigolfer

Cintigolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 12:50 AM

Here is the water with the Materials expanded.

Attached File  WaterSettings.JPG   28.5KB   0 downloads

#9 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 01:22 AM

Here is the water with the Materials expanded.

attachicon.gifWaterSettings.JPG

Damn. 

So, I noticed that your Y scale is 17.2.  I've never changed this value and noticed that mine, on all of my projects, are 17.01622.  If you just drag a water plane from the Project window into the scene, what Y scale does it have?

#10 Cintigolfer

Cintigolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 01:24 AM

The Y scale is 17.01622.

#11 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 01:26 AM

The Y scale is 17.01622.

Well, change your existing water plane to that value, compile and see what happens.

#12 Cintigolfer

Cintigolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 01:29 AM

It sounds like your colliders aren't working as game isn't reciognising it's hitting the water. Would make sense as you said had same thing with trees.

Have you still got mikes original tutorial scene in the project from when you imported the cf package. If so perhaps try opening that and creating a water hazard in that scene and then building a course from that scene.

If the water then works you could just right click on that water plane in heir achy, select copy, and then open up the firestonr scene and then right click and paste and see if it then works?

I haven't tried a lake on other projects but I have tried painted trees and the colliders work there so I'm sure the water will work on other projects as well.  I tried to copy a waterplane from one project to another but Unity won't let me paste it.

I think there is something messed up with the project since neither painted tree colliders nor the water colliders work.  If I start a new project, what are the minimum number of files I would need to copy to the new project to see if that solves the issue?

#13 Cintigolfer

Cintigolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 01:39 AM

I tried changing the waterplane to 17.01622 and it still plays like a frozen lake.

#14 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 01:46 AM

I haven't tried a lake on other projects but I have tried painted trees and the colliders work there so I'm sure the water will work on other projects as well.  I tried to copy a waterplane from one project to another but Unity won't let me paste it.

I think there is something messed up with the project since neither painted tree colliders nor the water colliders work.  If I start a new project, what are the minimum number of files I would need to copy to the new project to see if that solves the issue?

Start a new project.  Import Course Forge.  Make a tee, a green and out of bounds splines.  Add a tee and three pins.  Compile.  Boom you have a course.

#15 Cintigolfer

Cintigolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 02:14 AM

Just built the same hole in a new project.  The water works exactly like I would expect.  So it is isolated to this one project.  Is there any way to start a new project and then copy just the fewest files as possible from the corrupt version to the new version?

#16 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 03:30 AM

I would try to copy/past the Assets/Course/Water folder from the good project to the bad project in Windows Explorer and see if that helps.  I don't think it could hurt.  Might wanna consider a backup of the folder first tho just to be safe.

#17 Cintigolfer

Cintigolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:20 AM

Copying the water folder did not work.  Unless someone can determine why all of the colliders don't work, I think I need to start completely over.  The only good news is that I can use the old version as a reference.  It should make it a little faster to plant the trees.

#18 J.H.Buchanan

J.H.Buchanan

PG Ameteur Titleist Golf Balls

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • LocationMiami Beach, Florida

Posted 06 January 2017 - 02:39 AM

Maybe I am an idiot but when I make a hole I only do a Save Scene as save and immediately when I do this I back up the terrain. 

for example I make a hole 1 then I want to play test it I play test it way before it is ever even close to be completed before planting trees water changing elevations etc. I plop down 3 tees , 3 pins some fairway and test it but anyway I would 1st do a save as  h1a  this is hole number one version A  - do not use caps then I do a terrain save with the same thing h1a  for a terrain save. 

If I ever have a problem which I have then I open for example scene h1a and terrain save of h1a and start back at this point knowing that at this point everything works. meaning to I have now clicked on something wrong in unity and messed it up etc. 

so what happens is for each hole I may have 10 saves  h1a, h1b, h1c, - h1h etc.  and the same exact names for terrain saves. 

Little known fact when King Arthur was trying to make a golf course and he ran into some conflict. King Arthur: There's a peace only to be found on the other side of war. If that war should come I will fight it!    Other important fact. Read the Book of John in the Holy Bible. 

#19 Cintigolfer

Cintigolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 03:06 PM

Thanks to Matthew Rose, I was able to salvage the course without starting over.  For some reason, the terrain was not low enough under the water on this course.  I eventually lowered the terrain so that it was at least 20 meters under the water plane.  I might not have had to go this deep, but I needed to be deeper than 10 meters since the lake on 16 was initially only 12 meters above 0.

Since I could not lower the terrain below 0, I had to use Shimon Tools "Move the Ground" to raise the entire terrain.  I chose 10 meters since the terrain under the lake on hole 3 was about 15 meters below the lake and it was functioning properly in most areas.  After I used the "Move the Ground" tool, I rebuilt all of the splines to get them to snap to the new location of the terrain.  However, all of my hand planted trees were now 10 meters lower than they should be.  Fortunately, I had organized the hierarchy so it was very easy for me to select all of the hand planted objects and raise them approximately 10 meters (I just used the arrows in the scene window until I got them at the new correct height).

After I moved the terrain, I lowered the terrain under both lakes and then smoothed around the edges to get the transitions to look better.

• Mike Jones, RobC and NoPutt like this

#20 Cintigolfer

Cintigolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 02:29 AM

After I released Firestone South, a few users reported an issue where the player was at a 90 degree angle to the ball.  This only happens when the ball is outside of any splines that I've drawn.  After doing some investigation tonight, I'm pretty sure the "Move the Ground" tool caused the issue.  When I went to a backup copy of the course before I used the "Move the Ground" tool, the lake issue came back but the sideways golfer issue was gone. I'll update this thread again when I know more.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users