1 reply to this topic

#1 Larrykuh

Larrykuh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 05:43 AM

Has anyone tried using SourceTree and BitBucket to create a GIT CourseForge project? The instructions on the Unity web site for setting up a Unity project  uses Mac screen shots, and unfortunately, the Windows SourceTree  application does not match what is shown in their instructions. Thus, it's a bit confusing trying to set one up in Windows.

For those that have never heard of GIT, it is a version control system that allows multiple users to update a project independently, then their efforts are merged into a final updated version. I previously worked on a GIT Javascript music notation project where 20-30 people were working on different aspects of the source code, and it worked quite well. GIT is fairly easy to learn, far easier than the older version control systems.

If something like this could be setup and works, it would allow multiple users to work on a course simultaneously, thus enabling a true collaborative process for creating a course. JohnMeyer and I have discussed this in the past, and we both agreed that it would be a great idea. One of the biggest advantages is if you mess up a project, it is easy to revert back to a previous version, and start over from that point. It also maintains a complete copy of your project on a controlled site.

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

• DPRoberts and milwsteve1 like this

#2 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 11:59 AM

Sounds like a great idea. When I researched a little on this, I sensed you really couldn't have 2 users in the same scene at a time. It was more a central save location but the way Unity Editor and CF are structured, we couldn't all be merrily working away simultaneously. I hope I am incorrect in this.
  • milwsteve1 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users