#1 garynorman

garynorman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • LocationBedfordshire, England

Posted 01 February 2017 - 09:37 PM

***I've clearly put this in the wrong area!! (can someone please move it to Show and Tell)***

Hi guys,

After putting my toys back in the pram, I'm currently working on a version of Shinnecock Hills.  I have all 18 holes laid out, but it's still early in the piece so don't expect this for a couple of months I'd think...

Here's an early shot of the 11th (I'd say almost 100% that the trees will be completely replaced before release):

shin_1.jpg

• Dazmaniac, luetze, axe360 and 9 others like this

#2 HeavySwinger

HeavySwinger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 10:10 PM

You course designers are awesome!

• garynorman likes this

#3 milwsteve1

milwsteve1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 11:12 PM

So looking forward to this course Gary you did a wonderful job on Cypress Point and this course looks to be just as awrsome as Cypress Point love your others courses too Gary.

#4 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 01 February 2017 - 11:12 PM

Very nice G, exactly how many bunkers are on Shinnecock? 

Anyway, your bunker/waste area magic should come in handy

here, and I look forward to your design style implemented into

this classic venue.

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#5 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 01 February 2017 - 11:24 PM

Loved Dr Rob's rendition from Links 2003.

Looking forward to Gary's JNPG recreation, if his current catalogue is anything to go by.

#6 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 02 February 2017 - 12:37 AM

Another triumph!

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#7 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 01:11 AM

I'm going to ignore the whole picture but the bottom left. That cracked dirt texture is the triumph here! Fun to watch you put these together.
  • Tentpole likes this

#8 slewin

slewin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 01:44 AM

That's great Gary,
Classic Renditions are currently working across the road at The National Golf Links...
  • Dazmaniac, luetze, garynorman and 2 others like this

#9 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 02 February 2017 - 02:33 AM

Yes, love the cracked dirt and the natural rolling terrain. Looking mighty fine. :)

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#10 slewin

slewin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 07:36 AM

We definitely need a workflow to customise bunker lips IMHO. Just think what the likes of Gary could achieve with these older courses.

#11 garynorman

garynorman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • LocationBedfordshire, England

Posted 02 February 2017 - 09:00 AM

We definitely need a workflow to customise bunker lips IMHO. Just think what the likes of Gary could achieve with these older courses.

Yep, definitely agree with that! I saw something on another thread where Dr Rob had done something which looked amazing.  That type of tool would really enhance the visuals of this type of course.

What would be really nice would be to get some decent data for British courses too (how did you manage St Andrews, Rob?) as there always seem to be data holes in the more famous ones...

• slewin and mcthommo like this

#12 luetze

luetze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 February 2017 - 09:19 AM

Great news! Next to Bethpage Black arguably my favourite course in Links 2003. Looking very much forward to it.

As I've mentioned in the Pine Valley thread I think creating realistic looking bunker lips for links/dunes courses especially is an area in which CF at the current state seems to be really one step behind.   

#13 mcthommo

mcthommo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 10:01 AM

What would be really nice would be to get some decent data for British courses too (how did you manage St Andrews, Rob?) as there always seem to be data holes in the more famous ones...

Absolutely spot on, Gary. I would love to see you tackle some of the classic links courses such as Dornoch,KingsBarns, Prestwick et al

Would also love to see some of the classic Parkland and Heathland courses such as Walton Heath, Sunningdale, Woburn to name but a few!

• Tentpole likes this

Intel 9900k @5GHZ

Asus RTX 3090 Strix OC

32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200

Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390

Noctua NH-D15 Cromax 

Fractal Design Meshify S2

WDC WD10EFRX 1TB NVME drive

2x 14TB Hitachi NAS HDD

Colour scheme by Nigel Tufnell- "None more black"

#14 slewin

slewin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 08:31 PM

Yep, definitely agree with that! I saw something on another thread where Dr Rob had done something which looked amazing. That type of tool would really enhance the visuals of this type of course.

It has totally stopped us even attempting our beloved sand belt Melbourne courses. That and the lack of any useful data. It's simply not possible to get the look right with generic bunker lips.
I'm sure 3rd party scripts will proliferate over the coming years which is exciting!!
Great job Gary you are becoming the benchmark for CF

#15 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 10:01 PM

Yeah, I've abandoned any attempts for now at trying to make ultra-thick lips for Royal Melb.... they simply produce too many of those jagged looking artifacts unless I set the spline height to a ridiculous number. As it is I've got it set to 2.1; I basically tried to make it as high as I could without feeling like the spline edges were compromised too much; because of the nature of the landscape of these courses and the quick transitions to wild areas, the spline edges unfortunately need to be fairly close to the fairways and bunkers. With these settings I managed to allow for some lips that are a bit thicker than most bunkers anyway.

#16 jcolton31

jcolton31

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 08:10 PM

Looks fantastic. I'd like to see the native grass a bit taller and redder. It was chest high in places when I played it a few years ago. Unfortunately I spent a ton of time in the tall stuff.

#17 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 09:32 AM

There are a lot of customisations you can make with both the normal and pot bunkers I feel that people have not even started to scratch the surface on what is possible with these. Using splines within splines is not out of the question for bunker interiors and using a custom overhead to blend native areas with more manicured grass among other things can also be used.

If I get time this week I'll try and post a few examples.

• Dazmaniac likes this

#18 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 09:39 PM

I'd love to see how PP might approach a sandbelt style bunker. I've thought about maybe trying Sand Hills at some point but that would require some pretty seamless transitions from spline to non-spline and I'm not convinced I could pull it off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users