#1 Skunky

Skunky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Locationmarble falls tx

Posted 17 February 2017 - 02:57 AM

after doing 4 real courses,shadow creek,avenel,tpc san antonio,valhalla,which im wrapping up.i was thinking i might do a fictional course,just to be creative. im not real fond of fictional courses,should i just stick to real.? i know when i download one ,i play it a few times and take it off my hard drive ,never to be seen again except on rare occasions.how do other people feel about this?

i messed around in the designer for about and hour to come up with this, interesting or not?what about a real course layout integrated into a fictional land plot like this one.give me some ideas people.5oTPlDX.jpg

• bortimus likes this

shadowcreek: tpc avenel:tpc san antonio:valhalla:quail hollow:trump coltsneck:hudson valley:ferry point:bedminster old and new course

Pasatiempo:Kingswood:Carnoustie:Augusta:SandHollow:TPC Summerlin

#2 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 17 February 2017 - 03:02 AM

Looks interesting to me!! Real courses are always more of a pull for me but a solid fictional course can be just as great if it's done well (which you are surely capable of).

So I'd say give it a go for sure! It's good to do a mix of both.
  • Skunky likes this

Steam Name: Turnerm05

Swing Type: RTSC | Tour Pro | XB1 Wireless

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

GTX 1080 Founders Edition

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#3 Skunky

Skunky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 03:09 AM

mebby,i see your computer specs,i7,and gtx 1080,what kind of FPS do you average in PG? I need a new system.

shadowcreek: tpc avenel:tpc san antonio:valhalla:quail hollow:trump coltsneck:hudson valley:ferry point:bedminster old and new course

#4 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 17 February 2017 - 03:14 AM

Stay pretty squarely around 60fps on max settings and dynamic skies. I can dip down to high 40's if I play late in the day (long shadows) but in general I'm pleased with my setup.

The next gen of JNPG should makes things even better. My machine doesn't bat an eyelash at most modern games.

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#5 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 03:50 AM

I hope you follow through with it quadet.  I like the feel of what you've got going so far.   

#6 Perculator

Perculator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:25 PM

You have done some great work, thanks much. My view on fictional courses - use your imagination but make them feel real. Tricked up course don't stay in my library for long.

Perc 

i5-4670K | GeForce GTX 970 4GB | 16GB DDR3 RAM | Windows 10 64 bit.

#7 GoldenBear

GoldenBear

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:31 PM

I am not real fond of real courses as most simply play dully in a video game.  Some of the best courses in this game are fictional.  Stoney's fictional courses are the best in this game overall imo.

I sincerely hope that you Bortimus and other designers give the real courses a break and get back to the ones that are actually fun to play, fictional ones.  :)

#8 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:53 PM

Well I find real courses totally fun to play.

Hope the designers keep the real courses coming, despite what PerfectSnap says.

I also like a good fictional design as much as the next man. I'm obviously not as picky as some folks, lol.

#9 shark7

shark7

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 06:08 PM

i think the most interesting way to create fictIonal course is to create the block of land first, with all the features a designer prefers, mountain, valleys, rivers etc, then build the course layout based on what the land allows, like course designers do IRL

• GoldenBear likes this

#10 Snax

Snax

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationMississauga, Ontario, Canada

Posted 17 February 2017 - 06:55 PM

If you want ideas...I think creating or redesigning a golf course on real life land is very interesting. I think it would be cool for a contest where everyone is give a property and see what different people see and do.
  • GoldenBear likes this

#11 Shimvolski

Shimvolski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 07:20 PM

I prefer real courses for sure. However, I do like a lot of the fictional courses as well. I always liked these paintings, there is a restaurant nearby that has these on the walls and they are fun to look at, probably would be fun to play too if you brought enough balls. http://www.tpkgolf.c...ous18giclee.htm
  • GoldenBear likes this

#12 GoldenBear

GoldenBear

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 February 2017 - 07:45 PM

Well I find real courses totally fun to play.

Hope the designers keep the real courses coming, despite what PerfectSnap says.

I also like a good fictional design as much as the next man. I'm obviously not as picky as some folks, lol.

May I ask what you find fun to play in a course like Firestone South as a great example?  What is so great about 18 glorified driving ranges?  Every hole is a straight fairway basically and the fairways are far, far too wide to offer any challenge whatsoever.  The same applies to all the real courses that are similar to Firestone South.   Some real ones are great like Copperhead CC.  Do not get me wrong, many real courses here are good, but there are many that simply play dull.  

I am not too picky.  I just do not want to fall asleep while playing.  :)

#13 GoldenBear

GoldenBear

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 February 2017 - 07:47 PM

I prefer real courses for sure. However, I do like a lot of the fictional courses as well. I always liked these paintings, there is a restaurant nearby that has these on the walls and they are fun to look at, probably would be fun to play too if you brought enough balls. http://www.tpkgolf.c...ous18giclee.htm

Oh heck ya!  This is what I am talking about.  An actual challenge!

#14 wooffer

wooffer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 02:12 AM

I have been waiting for TPC San Antonio since you 1st posted the picture of the 16th. If you need a tester I volunteer. I have played this course at least 15 times. I think you have created a great replica  from the posted picks.

#15 slouis

slouis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 746 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 18 February 2017 - 03:13 AM

Woofer I have play tested the beta at OGT and can tell you that it is in my opinion one of the toughest courses for JNPG.  Most of the greens are surrounded by rough so you have to hit the green in the air.  Hole 16, a par 3 about 200 yards has a bunker in the middle of the green.  If you have played the real course then you are obviously  familiar with this hole.  I also think that quadet63's renditions of Shadow Creek and especially TPC at Avenel are among the most difficult JNPG courses.  All  three are well done and very detailed as is his upcoming rendition of Valhalla.

RTSM - Pro

#16 Skunky

Skunky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 03:15 AM

woofer ,im should have  tpc san antonio done this week. and have started quail hollow also.

#17 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 18 February 2017 - 04:09 AM

May I ask what you find fun to play in a course like Firestone South as a great example?  What is so great about 18 glorified driving ranges?  Every hole is a straight fairway basically and the fairways are far, far too wide to offer any challenge whatsoever.  The same applies to all the real courses that are similar to Firestone South.   Some real ones are great like Copperhead CC.  Do not get me wrong, many real courses here are good, but there are many that simply play dull.  

I am not too picky.  I just do not want to fall asleep while playing.   :)

Make your mind up, lol.

In an earlier post your not fond of real courses - I am not real fond of real courses as most simply play dully in a video game.

Now you're posting saying many real courses in the game are good.

:D :D

I appreciate what you say about Firestone South, but you could say the same of the Old Course, just straight holes with some pot bunkers thrown in, lol.

I have fun playing golf games full stop (well almost all of them). I golf in real life and golf games give me the chance to play courses I will never get the chance to play in real life. Firestone South might not get as many plays as say Pebble Beach, but I'll enjoy it all the same and have fun along the way, because I'm golfing.

• GoldenBear likes this

#18 GoldenBear

GoldenBear

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 February 2017 - 05:22 AM

Make your mind up, lol.

In an earlier post your not fond of real courses - I am not real fond of real courses as most simply play dully in a video game.

Now you're posting saying many real courses in the game are good.

:D :D

I appreciate what you say about Firestone South, but you could say the same of the Old Course, just straight holes with some pot bunkers thrown in, lol.

I have fun playing golf games full stop (well almost all of them). I golf in real life and golf games give me the chance to play courses I will never get the chance to play in real life. Firestone South might not get as many plays as say Pebble Beach, but I'll enjoy it all the same and have fun along the way, because I'm golfing.

Oops, you caught me.  Chalk one up for the gipper, lol.  As for St. Andrews, I call it the world's largest fairway and never installed it.  No offense meant to whoever recreated it for JNPG.  But to me nostalgia does not necessarily make for a great course to play.  In my opinion St. Andrews had its time but that time is over. (Please do not hate on me for this people, hehe.)  I also do not like the Rio course so with those examples I figure you get my drift.  Cheers

#19 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 18 February 2017 - 07:32 PM

Wide fairways aren't necessarily a bad thing. I actually like them if you build in strategy, like favoring one side or the other for certain approaches to the greens.

To me what is less interesting is a 15 yard wide USGA special where your only option is to hit the middle stripe and get penalized for anything else.
  • slouis likes this

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#20 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 18 February 2017 - 07:35 PM

I agree with Matthew.  Courses that reward strategic thinking are always my favorite.

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users