The reviews for the game - what can be done about it?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 12:40 AM

LOL!  Wow... I wasn't aware of that.  That's ridiculous.  

People are idiots.....lol

Matthew is spot on about some of these reviewers....

• LeazesNDR likes this

#22 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 23 February 2017 - 03:41 AM

What I think some of the Linksters are forgetting is that it took years - literally years - for that game to become what it was in the end. If you look at most of the Links 2001 and early 2003 courses, they look pretty pedestrian compared to what came later. It took many years of building up a library of great custom objects, textures, the 3D work as well as some of the better designers pushing the envelope of what was possible with it and developing new tricks and techniques that everyone eventually learned how to do, raising the bar higher.

And don't forget all the game mods, the customized golfers, the customized clubs. The day I figured out how to make a golfer that looked like me, wore my shirts and shoes, and played with my beat up Ping Eye 2s, I was happier than a pig in you-know-what.

All of this happened over a long period of time. Links was always a work in progress too; the difference was; they were much more polished at the start because they had corporate backing and money from Access and later Microsoft. 

A lot of this stuff will come to PG eventually but it will take time. PG needs the chance to continue improving and evolving much like all the sims before it did. 

• Fairwayman, LeazesNDR, gravedodger and 1 other like this

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#23 Guest_deena_golf_*

Guest_deena_golf_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2017 - 04:42 AM

can't wait to see what u guys are producing in a few years time that's for sure!!

#24 Charles

Charles

RTSM forever!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • LocationHolland, Europe.

Posted 23 February 2017 - 09:49 AM

What I think some of the Linksters are forgetting is that it took years - literally years - for that game to become what it was in the end... / ...All of this happened over a long period of time. Links was always a work in progress too; the difference was; they were much more polished at the start because they had corporate backing and money from Access and later Microsoft... / ...A lot of this stuff will come to PG eventually but it will take time. PG needs the chance to continue improving and evolving much like all the sims before it did. 

Spot on Matthew. You nailed it. Links 2003 became a work of love after Microsoft sold it. The game had great potential and with all the help of the community it was able to remain a stellar sim, ultimately succumbing to the power of (big) money. And cold hard Mr. Time. What I love about JNPG though, is that the 'Links flame' has been carried over into the new game through Andrew en Mike Jones, who have such a distinguished record with Links! With these two on board and the elite unit of testers and other dev's around them, and the cover of the Jack Nicklaus org., JNPG can't miss I think. To me, it's a match made in heaven. But that's just me.. -_-

• LeazesNDR likes this

RTSM / Pro / In the bag: D,3/7W,1H,5i-60W,P.

* Favorite Designers: Skunky - DoGgs - RobC - IanK - PGA Pro - Gary Norman - DrTwist - Bortimus -

DPRoberts - High Fade - Classic Renditions - Matt Rose - Mikahenrik and ... Mike Jones! *

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect.

It is at the same time rewarding and maddening - and without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented".

= Arnold Palmer =

#25 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 23 February 2017 - 11:18 AM

Not forgetting how much Andrew and Mike were involved in bringing Links 2003 the v1.07 MOD and also the hi-res tweaks that were added to the APCD.

Progress with JNPG can be slow at times, but game development ain't no cake walk otherwise we'd all be doing it.

I bought TGC more out if curiosity but bought JNPG because Andrew and Mike were involved and was prepared to be here for the long haul, while TGC was just a brief dalliance and now sits with Links 2003 in the uninstalled bin.
  • LeazesNDR and Charles like this

#26 LeazesNDR

LeazesNDR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • LocationSmoggyland UK

Posted 23 February 2017 - 11:19 AM

What I think some of the Linksters are forgetting is that it took years - literally years - for that game to become what it was in the end. If you look at most of the Links 2001 and early 2003 courses, they look pretty pedestrian compared to what came later. It took many years of building up a library of great custom objects, textures, the 3D work as well as some of the better designers pushing the envelope of what was possible with it and developing new tricks and techniques that everyone eventually learned how to do, raising the bar higher.

And don't forget all the game mods, the customized golfers, the customized clubs. The day I figured out how to make a golfer that looked like me, wore my shirts and shoes, and played with my beat up Ping Eye 2s, I was happier than a pig in you-know-what.

All of this happened over a long period of time. Links was always a work in progress too; the difference was; they were much more polished at the start because they had corporate backing and money from Access and later Microsoft. 

A lot of this stuff will come to PG eventually but it will take time. PG needs the chance to continue improving and evolving much like all the sims before it did. 

Great point... you should point that out to some of the haters over at the Links Corner forums.

I've had a few run ins with the moaners  over there about JNPG and I rarely bother visiting the site now.

Links was great in its day, now, unfortunately it isn't, (for me anyway). Fantastic selection of courses though, and its brilliant to see quite a few of them making their way over to JNPG.

When JNPG gets feature complete it will be everything that Link players wanted.... except for those who insist on using 15 year old PC's and antiquated Operating systems

• Charles likes this

#27 Riddler

Riddler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • LocationMesquite, Nevada

Posted 23 February 2017 - 12:34 PM

I was one who said Links would never be equaled.  I tried TW and others but never gave them a second thought.  I played at LSPN, on Daz's Tour, Crusader's, APCD and many others.   JNPG changed my mind and since then I have never looked back.  I did convince at least 3 to try JNPG, Deccie, Joe Bradley and CharlieB.  Like Daz says most others, when I posted about JNPG at the LSPN site,  just didn't want to try or change from a game they love.  I understand that but I wanted a more realistic game and JNPG is giving me that and more.  Excellent golf sim!!!!

• LeazesNDR and Charles like this

#28 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 11:52 AM

When JNPG gets feature complete it will be everything that Link players wanted.... except for those who insist on using 15 year old PC's and antiquated Operating systems

Yeah, I say to each their own and do what they need to do for entertainment.. Some still play Links, some play both games.  I guess I'm an idiot! 

#29 LeazesNDR

LeazesNDR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • LocationSmoggyland UK

Posted 24 February 2017 - 03:28 PM

You said that not me! 😂
  • RobV likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users