#41 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 05:14 PM

Yup, forgot about that.  

The PG sim player base has increased by a good amount.  Probably due to all these great real course recreations and new physics. 

#42 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 05:19 PM

Great points about TGC 2

If they've made the swing challenging (finally....hopefully), and the shot outcomes varied and realistic and not "on rails" as it always has felt with that game...I'll definitely have to check it out.

I'm counting on Mebby for a thorough review before handing over any more simoleons to Kyne & Company though..

Still feeling the burn from 4 useless copies of TGC1 - My fault, no question...but still feeling it..  lol

:D  

• GodZilla likes this

#43 fungolfer

fungolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 05:43 PM

Yup, I play Pro level and it's crazy neurotic.

But I'm not hard core about the game and don't  care if I suddenly go from -4 to +20 in one round.

I play with a cup of coffee in one hand, while listening to talk radio, vaping my fav juice, and usually giving attention to one of my pets.

Scoring? lol

I'm absolutely with you on that. But sometimes it still let my bloodpressure explode LOL

Who cares...

#44 ProFirefighter

ProFirefighter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 February 2017 - 07:09 PM

I'm absolutely with you on that. But sometimes it still let my bloodpressure explode LOL

Understood, and agreed!

It's more or less a work in progress. ;)

i5-4460 / 8GB DDR3 / 1 TB 7200 RPM / Windows 8.1 / Thermaltake TR2 600W / EVGA GTX 960 FTW

#45 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 07:27 PM

The distance indicates how far the ball will fly, at least in my experience.  So if I'm 40 yards from the pin and I know that I'll get 10 yards of roll with the current pitch physics, I'll click well short of the coloured area in the 64W 37 yard meter.  Chipping is different; the distance seems to include the roll out.

Fly isn't a bad word.. but the C by the numerical value indicates CARRY. As does the R indicate ROLL. However, Jt, I'm well aware of what roll to expect 'most' of the time. However, I'd like to be able to change those values to better indicate what type of carry and rolls, I get! ;)

Ian this is one area where I disagree as a 29 inch putt is really a 2.5 ft putt and if I had a dollar for every one I have missed in IRL I could retire right now.  We look at a  24 inch putt as a gimmie but that is not the case in real golf and I make most of those putts you describe in this game but I do miss some and that is real to me.  Since I started playing at PGLS they have no gimmies and I kind of like that and hope it stays that way.

I had no idea you could actually do so.... there is always one..!

However, try actually putting a ball, exactly 2ft. Consider every putt you have, to be 2.5ft. Now aim to leave yourself 6 inches short... it seems to happen to me too often. I'm not quite sure the balance is just right at the moment upon the 3C meter, regarding both a stimp 10 and 14... trying to achieve the right balance, where stopping the power too quickly, leaves a 30 inch putt with 6 inches still to go. I'd never miss those IRL.

If we could, or those that want to, perfect some kind of calibration of our meters BEFORE we start rounds where the stimps are not optimal, I'd certainly use it.

#46 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 07:31 PM

Fly isn't a bad word.. but the C by the numerical value indicates CARRY. As does the R indicate ROLL. However, Jt, I'm well aware of what roll to expect 'most' of the time. However, I'd like to be able to change those values to better indicate what type of carry and rolls, I get! ;)

I had no idea you could actually do so.... there is always one..!

However, try actually putting a ball, exactly 2ft. Consider every putt you have, to be 2.5ft. Now aim to leave yourself 6 inches short... it seems to happen to me too often. I'm not quite sure the balance is just right at the moment upon the 3C meter, regarding both a stimp 10 and 14... trying to achieve the right balance, where stopping the power too quickly, leaves a 30 inch putt with 6 inches still to go. I'd never miss those IRL.

If we could, or those that want to, perfect some kind of calibration of our meters BEFORE we start rounds where the stimps are not optimal, I'd certainly use it.

Hi Ian - The concept of 'if you leave it short, hit it harder next time' would seem to apply here. ;)  

#47 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 07:38 PM

Mikey, mikey, mikey.... :P

#48 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 07:44 PM

Mikey, mikey, mikey.... :P

Post of the day...

#49 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 12:11 PM

It's hard to make a list of parts of PG that I feel aren't quite right because I love the game so much, but there are a few things that I think need a tweak. I'm writing as a solo player using RT-C and playing as a Tour Pro.

1) Side hill lies don't have enough effect on the shot.
2) Little or no discernible backspin/check achievable with mid irons.
3) Wind at lower levels doesn't have quite enough effect on the ball.
4) At the risk of being moaned at, although I have got used to having no usable spin on pitch shots I still feel this doesnt accurately reflect the real game, but to a certain extent I can understand why it has been done.
  • erwildcat and worrybirdie like this
Steam Name: n.bonaparte
WWG1WGA

#50 Ch3apTrick

Ch3apTrick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 28 February 2017 - 12:41 PM

Spin and Check has always been iffy part.

I personally do not like this idea of going past the 100% mark to get some spin, 9 times out 10 your too close to do this with pitch or chip shots.

And still more lip out shots at distances of 3ft,would like cup pyshics just tweaked a touch,its not that I do not like new settings its just at smaller distances it can feel comical.

• worrybirdie likes this

I7 Devils Canyon - MSI Gaming 5 - 16gb Corsair Vengance - Zotac AMP Omega 980 ti - Asus ROG PG287Q - 120SSD Samsung - 3tb Western Digital Green - Windows 7 64bit Ulitmate - 100mb Virginmedia .

#51 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 03:51 PM

1) Side hill lies don't have enough effect on the shot.

I'm come over time to really feel this way too Ian

#52 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 05:23 PM

I'm come over time to really feel this way too Ian

I can't stop myself setting up to allow for the slope only to find that the shot isn't affected. The only time that the shot does seem to move as you would expect is from a sloping lie in a bunker.

• Charles and stringb like this
Steam Name: n.bonaparte
WWG1WGA

#53 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 05:45 PM

I can't stop myself setting up to allow for the slope only to find that the shot isn't affected. The only time that the shot does seem to move as you would expect is from a sloping lie in a bunker.

Yeah - I don't get what's going w/ sidehill lies and their seeming lack of impact in PG.

I feel like we are back to TW08 in this particular regard..

Mike?  Andrew?  

Curious if this is sort of a known issue that you'd like to fix or if we are missing something and the Dev interpretation is that the current way PG portrays sidehill lies/impacts on shot are correct in your view?

#54 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 28 February 2017 - 06:03 PM

Interesting. I do find that slope impacts my shots. I've seen it not have much of an impact but I just assumed that I mishit the ball.
  • Parboy likes this

Steam Name: Turnerm05

Swing Type: RTSC | Tour Pro | XB1 Wireless

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

GTX 1080 Founders Edition

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#55 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 06:36 PM

I've seen it not have much of an impact but I just assumed that I mishit the ball.

I have a feeling that would likely be the official Dev response also..

(mishits are easily overtaking any sidehill effects...)

Do you feel like it "acts right" in those cases though?

It seems like any low-moderate amount of mishit should likely take place a bit after launch and it should possibly be more apparent to the eyes that sidehill is impacting things initially but that a mishit is still overtaking it through the course of the shot leading to outcome.

I could be 150% wrong - Just throwing it out there.

#56 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 28 February 2017 - 06:52 PM

Yeah, it's hard to tell but I can't say that I've had many instances where I take a sidehill lie into consideration and then scratch my head after I strike the ball. It usually behaves as expected.

To test it out though aim straight at the pin (or wherever) and see if it ends up online or not. I think it's possible to aim far enough against the slope of the hill to actually hit a ball straight with no impact of the hill. I've seen this in real life.

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#57 GoldenBear

GoldenBear

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 28 February 2017 - 07:12 PM

Nothing is wrong with how the slopes affect the ball lie, they do affect it a lot.  Any shot I have on a side hill lie severe or not I have to adjust for.

#58 JoeF

JoeF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts
  • LocationBrighton, Ontario, Canada

Posted 28 February 2017 - 07:59 PM

Me experience JNPG is that the sidehill lie effect is most noticable with woods and long irons.  I play with Follow Cam on and during the ball flight you can see what is happening along the balls' path.  With a solid strike the ball flies straight in the direction the ball is aimed and then begins to curve after reaching the halfway point in its' flight.  The amount of curve feels correct to me for the lie.  On mid irons I will aim a slight amount and for short irons I usually don't account for it unless it's a steep side-hill.  

• fungolfer, gravedodger and GoldenBear like this

Intel i5-4570 cpu @ 3.2 GHz, ASUS Z74-K mb, ASUS GeForce GTX 960 gpu, 16 GB ram, 2 x SSD drives, Windows 10 64 bit

Steam name: sound_flier

#59 Wirenut48

Wirenut48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:34 PM

I believe sidehill lies are more correct with this game than the canned effects of old. It will vary depending on severity of lie with different clubs, and with the length and type of shot.  So you need to get an understanding of how the ball will react for each, and not just aim so much for every degree with any club or shot type.

The same goes for the wind effect, it's also dynamic.

• JoeF, gravedodger, Charles and 2 others like this

Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW, Corsair iCUE SP140 RGB ELITE Fans, Corsair RMx 850 W PS, MSI MPG Z590 GAMING CARBON WIFI, i9-11900K 3.5 GHz 8-Core, G.Skill Trident Z Royal 32 GB, Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-NVME, Samsung 970 Pro 1TB M.2-NVMe, NVIDIA TITAN X (Pascal), Samsung 65Q9FN QLED, HTC Vive

#60 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:48 PM

I believe sidehill lies are more correct with this game than the canned effects of old. It will vary depending on severity of lie with different clubs, and with the length and type of shot.  So you need to get an understanding of how the ball will react for each, and not just aim so much for every degree with any club or shot type.

The same goes for the wind effect, it's also dynamic.

Great summary comments here.  I agree.

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users