6 replies to this topic

#1 Tekbud

Tekbud

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 03:53 AM

Thanks to the help of dproberts I've added a number of tour package assets to East Lake for v2.1. I've also made changes to East Lake that were completed in real life for last September's Tour Championship on some of the later holes, that weren't initially included in the original terrain file.
Now i'm asking for some help from this forum to improve this course. FPS has dropped, especially on holes like 3 tee, where you can see the entire course and all of it's terrain from the top of the mountain. How can I improve? How else can I improve this course? I want this to be a championship course to be enjoyed by all but this is only my 2nd take at course forge, and 2nd go at creating a course at all in any game designer package so I'm asking for feedback, however harsh, to improve this for the good of mankind, or at least jnpg players mankind lol. Thanks all. All feedback welcome good, bad, and super ugly.
http://onlinegolftou...ST LAKE#p36498/

#2 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 04:12 AM

What are your LOD settings for your trees?

Win 10, i7-7700 @4.2 ghz, 16GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 1080
Swing Type: Tour Pro Wireless XBox 360 Controller.

#3 Tekbud

Tekbud

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 04:26 AM

Using the default LOD settings I believe.  

The main conifer in use on the course is set to LOD 0 100%, LOD 1 68%, LOD 2 40%, billboard 13%, culled 1%. The bush I used is set to LOD 0 100%, LOD 1 50%, LOD 2 25% billboard 13 and culled 1% and most of the other trees appear to match these settings.  Is the difference in the conifers a potential problem?

#4 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 04:33 AM

OGT PGA Tour Championship will be using the released version this week.  Maybe keep the link in beta section for now.

#5 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 05:16 AM

Using the default LOD settings I believe.  

The main conifer in use on the course is set to LOD 0 100%, LOD 1 68%, LOD 2 40%, billboard 13%, culled 1%. The bush I used is set to LOD 0 100%, LOD 1 50%, LOD 2 25% billboard 13 and culled 1% and most of the other trees appear to match these settings.  Is the difference in the conifers a potential problem?

Yes, on all of my trees, I set LOD1 to 80%, LOD2 to 60% and Billboard to 20%.  These settings will still give good looking trees and add performance to the course.  But also, Imp[importantly is the TRI count for the scene.  If you change these LOD's and you're still north of 4 million TRI's, well, then you may have to thin the trees somewhat or look at buildings (or rocks) as being the culprit.

Win 10, i7-7700 @4.2 ghz, 16GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 1080
Swing Type: Tour Pro Wireless XBox 360 Controller.

#6 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 11:47 AM

Tekbud,

I may have had shadow casters on for those prefabs. If you go into the Hierarchy and select all pieces you have placed for the grandstands with ctrl-lmb or shift-lmb, then go to inspector and look for the word "shadow casters". If it says "on" or had a "-", change to "off". This will change for all prefabs in the scene.

I made this mistake for original house builder and I built the grandstands before then. So, I'm guessing this is part of the issue.

#7 Tekbud

Tekbud

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 03:43 AM

Thanks to everyone's help on ogt and over at Perfect Parallel.  I've tweaked the trees (thinned them out in some areas) and removed shadow casters from a number of objects.  I have settings turned up to ultra high with dynamic skies on and the lowest FPS I see on the entire course right now is 38FPS with much of the course for me well above 100fps.  As a comparison point I went around PGA National from PP and found the low FPS on the course around holes 15 and 16 down around 32-34fps.  Tees 3, 5, and 7 are the lowest.  I didn't see anything less than 40 around the rest of the course with much locked above 60+.

Beta testers can get the file here for review.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users