#1 hiltonwelford

hiltonwelford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Locationnew zealand

Posted 31 March 2017 - 10:29 PM

have imported a golf ball and resized and made new prefab.works fine but how do i get it to sit on the tee base?

its snapped to the terrain under the base.how do i get it to sit on top of the tee mesh?(only part of the ball is showing)

#2 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 31 March 2017 - 10:45 PM

The ball was most likely designed that way, and 

the only way to correct it is to take it back into

a graphics program and adjust it above the

grid. Happy to help with a pic, or send what you have 

in a PM. 

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#3 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 31 March 2017 - 11:34 PM

Yeah, it's funky like that - you can't have it sit right on the zero point in the plane; you have to raise up a bit; maybe a quarter of the way. I think this might be because the tee splines are floating above the ground a small amount.

If you can't figure out, let me know and I'll send you mine. I have a set of them in six colors.

The devs are also supposedly releasing a multi-pack of tee markers at some point.

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#4 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 12:08 AM

Funny timing. I just finished version 2 of my tee marker pack. All color, texture and logo changing in Unity. Much easier. Video tonight and post by the morning.

No putt is correct. The orientation cursor determines where the markers are placed in space. Most objects this sits in the center of it. It needs to go into a 3D program and repositioned.

Hopefully, if you can't figure it out, my new pack will suit your needs.

O8tAOnV.jpg

#5 hiltonwelford

hiltonwelford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Locationnew zealand

Posted 01 April 2017 - 12:20 AM

its a skp file from the 3d warehouse.really wanted the golf ball (bugger) back to the drawing board.thanks guys for your offers.

my skills are very,very limited and i dont have photoshop.

#6 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 12:36 AM

The new pack does not require any Photoshop. That's why I created version 2.

If you post the name of the file you are using, I can try and fix it for you and pass it back.

#7 hiltonwelford

hiltonwelford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Locationnew zealand

Posted 01 April 2017 - 02:04 AM

golf_ball.skp that would be cool.cheers Hilton

dropbox....https://www.dropbox....f_ball.skp?dl=0

the ball size is around .3 to .4 i think.was still playing around with size.

#8 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 03:45 AM

Hilton, that ball is cool but is 130000 tris. Put 10 of those in a scene and your project will come to a screeching halt. One ball is roughly the equivalent of 70-100 trees in your project.

I like that ball but will have to recreate it for you. I can do that or you can take a look at what Matthew has to offer. Just let me know.

#9 hiltonwelford

hiltonwelford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Locationnew zealand

Posted 01 April 2017 - 03:56 AM

oh wow.thanks for your time man.its ok ill drop the idea.cheers

#10 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 01 April 2017 - 05:11 AM

I realized mine are about 4500 tris, which seems excessive for a little sphere. They were made in AC3D.

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#11 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 09:02 AM

Hilton, that ball is cool but is 130000 tris. Put 10 of those in a scene and your project will come to a screeching halt. One ball is roughly the equivalent of 70-100 trees in your project.

I like that ball but will have to recreate it for you. I can do that or you can take a look at what Matthew has to offer. Just let me know.

oh wow.thanks for your time man.its ok ill drop the idea.cheers

Don't drop it, man. Make it happen! Vision comes first, and implementation has to serve the vision.

The 130000 tris are probably due to the fact that every dimple on the ball is sculpted in hi-res 3D. Instead just make a primitive sphere (around 200 tris) and use the texture and the normal map to simulate the dimples.

No need to go super hi-res on a rather marginal and very small object, and if you can get away with it with 2D methods, don't go 3d.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#12 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 09:27 AM

Oh gosh, if I talk the talk, I better walk the walk.

You're looking for something like this?

Do8K6qz.png

It's very small, right? Let's make it a bit larger so that you can see the object in detail:

MMqrL7m.png

There you go. Note how the shadows show the dimples? How the highlight hugs them and plays on the dimpled surface?

Let me show you that same golf ball tee marker object in AC3D:

lQ1FHkX.png

Just a sphere. The dimple effect is hinted at in the texture map, then pronounced by using the same map as a normal map to simulate the relief.

You can colorise the texture, of course, and even add a logo to it.

So what have we learned today? Game graphics are not about hunting for free online objects and then dropping them into your scene and that's that. They are about constantly optimising your tri count and cleverly dumbing complex realities down to their absolute minimum. About getting the most out of the least.

Do mull on this, all on you: 130000 vs 264 tris, yet as good as no visible difference in the end result - welcome to game graphics, your shy and mischievous little CF companion from now on.

Here's the dropbox link for this object - unzip, import the folder, add and fine-tune (don't forget to make the normal texture a normal map and to add it to the object material):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lr6zrn45n8u2jpa/Tee%20Marker%20Golfball.zip?dl=0

• DPRoberts likes this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

<<<<<

#13 hiltonwelford

hiltonwelford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Locationnew zealand

Posted 01 April 2017 - 10:43 AM

thank my son your a legend.

#14 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 11:06 AM

Thank you K11 for pitching in. I still have normal map deficiencies in my workflow. It's the icing on the cake that I have yet to perfect.

I would've modeled at the high res and baked my normal map to the low res model. Did you just push the result off the texture map in Crazy Bump or similar?

#15 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 11:43 AM

There are, as usual, many different ways to skin a cat. Or a kitten. My process.

1. Prepping:

I called upon Mister Internet at Google Image central and entered the search terms golf, ball, spherical, map. One of the first hits offered gave me this:

f6KBIX7.jpg

2 (optional): Texturising

Next I took this loot for a spin into photoshop and basically stretched it into a 1024 texture:

fnOm4z5.jpg

This is a spherical map that can be wrapped seamlessly around a 3D sphere. This first texture I renamed into normal and dedicated it to creating the dimples. I know of PS plugins and other tricks to create a normal map like Crazy Bumps, but for a golf ball the normal map is extremely simple to make and coincides with the texture: Everything dark is low, everything bright is high. So this b/w jpg, in this particular example, is all I need. Your proposed method certainly would work as well, but with very simple, geometrical normal maps it's a bit of an overkill imo.

3. Normal and Map from same Template

Then I made the above texture a lot lighter and saved this lighter copy as a texture:

vo8gB0q.jpg

I used this texture to create the sphere and wrap it around in AC3D. With the object and all texture files in the same folder, I imported it into Unity, added the normal to the material, you know the rest.

Ba fiddling with the contrast of the original image, or the brightness levels, or by adding a bit of blur, you can tweak the radius and the sharpness of the dimples a bit. The same applies to changing the value of the bumpiness in Unity. 

It was done within 25 minutes from the prior post where I said how I would do it. It took me 2 minutes in PS, 3 minutes in AC3D, and the rest of the time was spent (wasted) importing the object into Unity, setting it up, making screenies, importing them into imgur and writing the second post.

• DPRoberts likes this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

#16 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 11:48 AM

Thanks for detailed reply. As you know, I often run around with the most complicated solution for a task until the moment of true learning occurs and the simplest solution is realized.

My biggest deficiency may be lack of time in and trying to bypass that darn learning curve.

#17 hiltonwelford

hiltonwelford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Locationnew zealand

Posted 01 April 2017 - 10:04 PM

ok have new ball,its great ty k11.same proplem it sit down in mesh.so i made a base to sit the ball on.made a new provab (ball and base) .when i drag into scene works great.when i put into tee slot and test, the ball still sits in mesh and overrides base that i put it on.and now a new proplem,when i test the tee markers are sitting off line of tee base.off to one side.this is so beyond my skill level is not funny.(all this for a bloody golf ball.LOL)

#18 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 11:29 PM

Hilton,

It works well on my end.

NCntDnD.jpg

It is likely how you are creating the prefabs. You need to import the .obj mesh. Then, change the scale factor for the mesh in the Inspector. For me, it was quite large. I changed it to 0.1. Then scroll down and choose APPLY.

zUWsQ4G.jpg

Second step is to properly create a prefab for use in the Project. Drag and drop the tmgb mesh from your Project tab into the Scene. You will then see the word "tmgb" in your Hierarchy. Make a prefab folder in the Project tab and drag the word "tmgb" with left mouse from the Hierarchy tab into the Project tab in your newly made prefab folder.

You will then have 2 files in the Project tab that say "tmgb" as below. The one with the box (#2) and not the box with the arrow (#1) is what you will then use for your tee.

15eNpRE.jpg

0n8Efux.jpg

#19 hiltonwelford

hiltonwelford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Locationnew zealand

Posted 02 April 2017 - 02:08 AM

thanks dp.you guys have paitence of saints.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users