3 replies to this topic

#1 uvmnick

uvmnick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 01:00 PM

I know that once a course is setup that you shouldn't change the resolution settings. I noticed that on the real course that I am doing the settings are different from what was used with the Terrain file provided in the starter/default CF package.

Here are my settings for a real course I am doing. Does it matter that my Detail Resolution is 1024 instead of 2048 and my and Control Texture Resolution is 512 instead of 2048?

8C0t2Gzl.png

#2 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 02:04 PM

It matters, a bit...

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/terrain-OtherSettings.html

(In Unityspeak, these resolutions refer to the size of something in comparison to the terrain size: If your terrain is on 2049 for 1600m, you get a height point every 78 cm. A resolution of 512 translates into four times this distance, a bit more than 3m: Low is crude, higher is more detailed)

Detail Resolution affects grass planting. Higher lets you place individual billboards a bit more precisely.

A higher Control Texture Resolution lets you paint terrain textures much more accurately. At 512 you get huge and unwieldy terrain texture brushes, at 2048 they are a lot smaller and you can add more minute details.

All this, of course, only applies to Unity features like grasses and terrain textures. CF meshes luckily are not affected at all by this.

If you have not started planting grasses or painting on terrain textures yet, you should change these settings and nothing bad will happen. If you already have begun, either stick with these values (it's not a catastrophic deviation overall, you should be able to manage), or re-do all planting and painting - your call.

• uvmnick likes this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#3 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 05 April 2017 - 06:05 PM

Yep K11 is spot on, try small area planting or texturing with that setting and see, its a no go, before you even get your brush away from a square shape you are at the width of a fairway in size, it's impossible.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#4 uvmnick

uvmnick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 12:06 AM

Thanks for the explanation. That helped out a lot. I've only done spline work, and just a hole of tree planting so I made the changes to the settings. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users