Photo
* * * - - 5 votes

Video: Links 2003 Crystal Pines HD by Mike Jones (2017)

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Crusher

Crusher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:04 AM

⛳                          🏌️‍♂️                             🏌️‍♀️                              ⛳

xqc8g0-2.png

🏌️‍♂️                                                       🏌️‍♀️
Userbenchmarks:
Custom Build 2019

⛳                          🏌️‍♂️                             🏌️‍♀️                              ⛳

51049423131_98884de356_w.jpg

#2 KChavis

KChavis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills, MD

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:31 PM

Crusher, Crystal Pines is one of the best on PG or Links....also, not sure if you play Links with ambient sounds...I use the site below and have these sounds in the background when playing links....Thanks....http://other-atmosph...com/countryside

#3 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:23 PM

Man oh man...

Links looks SO old and cheesy vs the options we have nowadays..

#4 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:15 PM

But Buck..... look at the water reflections, lol.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The Hi-Res courses still look good (taking the ani out of the picture) but I agree the old girl is starting to look a little dated.

#5 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:54 PM

Man oh man...

Links looks SO old and cheesy vs the options we have nowadays..

It's 15 years old.... it's entitled to.

Imagine if people in 2002 compared Links to golf games that came out 15 years before it!  :lol:

• RobV and Crusher like this
life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#6 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:04 PM

It's 15 years old.... it's entitled to.
Imagine if people in 2002 compared Links to golf games that came out 15 years before it! :lol:

I agree. Definitely entitled to look super old/cheesy..

I was just commenting that it looks way too dated for my eyes in 2017 to be of any use past nostalgia...

#7 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:35 PM

BUT if looks and graphics aren't really a big deal to you, then you just can't be the game play, physics, options, fun factor... it is simply the complete package! 

• Crusher likes this

#8 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 22 April 2017 - 12:15 AM

I always found the Links series to have very good in game physics, though I was always a Links series player from Links: The Challenge of Golf.

But Links 2003 wasn't perfect.

It still suffered with vacuum cups as many a overhit putt got grabbed and pulled in to the hole. Side hill lies at Champ and Elite were way overdone. Also fairway bunker shots at Champ and Elite were a bit of a crap shoot as you could nail the snap with 2C/3C and see the ball duffed about 10 yards, lol.

Still, plenty of good memories.

#9 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 02:26 AM

BUT if looks and graphics aren't really a big deal to you, then you just can't be the game play, physics, options, fun factor... it is simply the complete package!

Very true!

When people say "don't bother with the eye candy in PG" it becomes clear to me that they should just play Links or this current version of PG and the new Win10/XB1 version should aim more for those who want great gameplay AND modern beautiful graphics and lighting.

It's 2017. We can have both.
  • RobV likes this

#10 Crusher

Crusher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 04:41 AM

Crusher, Crystal Pines is one of the best on PG or Links....also, not sure if you play Links with ambient sounds...I use the site below and have these sounds in the background when playing links....Thanks....http://other-atmosph...com/countryside

I don't use ambient sounds when I play any golf games, just the ball impact sounds.   It is amazing the resources for Links, even older versions.

When I make PC Golf videos I will include the ambient sounds now and then for the viewers.

I agree with you on Crystal Pines, It's a beautiful course in either game. No surprise on the quality of the courses for Links 2003, MJ is an expert designer and has been for 20+ years.

I will be making more videos of Links 2003.  Like I say on my website it's a Classic that is still going strong in 2017.  Links 2003 and JNPG are the only PC Golf Games I promote. They are top-shelf in the history of PC golf. :)

xqc8g0-2.png

Userbenchmarks:
Custom Build 2019

#11 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 05:05 AM

Do you guys actually still play Links?

#12 Crusher

Crusher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 06:30 AM

@KChavis

Your comment got me thinking about making another video of Crystal Pines with ambient sounds, gallery applaus and the golfer's comments. These all all come with the PC installed game. Like you pointed out, there are numerous sound scripts to download for Links 2003. :)

xqc8g0-2.png

Userbenchmarks:
Custom Build 2019

#13 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 06:37 AM

So... do you guys actually still play Links?

#14 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 11:07 AM

I was actually going to go look at a hole I did on Walnut Grove and I couldn't get past a directx error in Win10.  Tried XP compat mode as well and that didn't work either.

Win 10, i7-7700 @4.2 ghz, 16GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 1080
Swing Type: Tour Pro Wireless XBox 360 Controller.

#15 KChavis

KChavis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 11:42 AM

I still play Career mode - created my own season, AI scores on the hardest difficulty, swinging using Powerstroke on Amateur (powerstroke is very difficult - avg score about -3 per round), with the TKS and UKTribute sound scripts and ambient sounds. I use the golfer utility to change clothing after every round and I play at 1920 x 1080 resolution, with challenging greens.....I play about twice a month....I always seem to come back to it.....

#16 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 04:16 PM

@KChavis:  Nice!

Whatever works for people and what they enjoy is what they should use..

I actually tried to fire up TW08 to see it again but realized it's sort of a pain to get it working on W10 and I wasn't upset motivated and bailed on it.

#17 KChavis

KChavis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 11:37 PM

Buck, don't give up on running TW08 on Windows 10! I have pretty much a new machine and after reviewing all of the Windows 10 topics on the TW Course downloads sites, I finally got it to work....let me know if you need any help!

#18 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 11:41 PM

Buck, don't give up on running TW08 on Windows 10! I have pretty much a new machine and after reviewing all of the Windows 10 topics on the TW Course downloads sites, I finally got it to work....let me know if you need any help!

Thx man. If I give it another go I'll ping you for sure.

#19 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 12:16 PM

So... do you guys actually still play Links?

Why yes I do... mostly every Friday night with family and friends!  

#20 Birdie

Birdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:07 AM

Just to clarify, all or most of MJs great Links2k3 HD courses are now up to download free of charge via linkscorner.org.

http://linkscorner.o...urses/index.php

Don't know if it was mentioned here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users